Next Car Choice

Benny Boy

Reaction score
Hello people, first post! Typically I'm seeking advice on my first! I don't actually own an Audi but could be buying one fairly soon as my post will explain...

I'm in a predicament. Hopefully some of you can help me to see things in a clearer light as I think I'm becoming confused! I need to change my car, got an estimate of £10-12k to spend. (All depends on what my house sells for) Currently my annual miles are a staggeringly low 6k which doesn't really warrant buying a diesel, but I am actively seeking to change employment which could increase the miles!

My first thought was 100% an S3, I've wanted one for years, great looks inside and out, somewhat understated too which I like but the obvious downsides are the running costs.
My current car (Leon Mk1 1.6) advertises 39mpg and the S3 says 31mpg so not a huge difference there. Perhaps my right foot may become heavier but what I really would appreciate is the power when I need it.

Second candidate was a Leon FR Supercopa. Cheap to run for the spec of the car, obvious remapping potential but more expensive as an initial outlay. Like the looks, maybe a bit too lairy.
Don't like them without the body kit on though! Minor concern about the DPF, with such low annual mileage.

Lastly I thought about a Golf. This is my least preferred choice, reasons being that my brother has one and they seem very common. Great cars, great quality and feel that seems unrivalled but I just wouldn't choose one.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks in advance :)

If not S3 then what about 2.0tfsi? Would give u most of the performance of a S3 after a remap and less of the costs maybe?

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or shoot me down lol

I don't find the running costs to bad to be honest on the S3, especially when u consider the performance and Quattro.

An by know means do I just tootle about, I certainly don't hammer it everywhere tho either.

Just fuel costs I can stick £40 in of super unleaded at £1.48 a ltr an easily manage 180mile off of it.

Get a high-spec sline 2.0T quattro ... yes it has the K03 but you can get that up to S3 power with a quick remap.
Interior and everything else is pretty much the same.

When I was looking, I couldn't bring myself to pay the premium for the S3 badge, chrome pedals etc. A similar milage
car was nearly twice the price!

I drive some pretty terrible roads consistantly in the S3 and over the last 5500 miles its averaged 27.5mpg, I don't give it the boot every day except for occasional overtaking but sometimes like to abuse the boost for a few minutes at at time. I think you'd have to be trying/driving everywhere in sport mode to get less than I do over time. I get ~270-320 miles to a tank depending on how eager I am to get home from work every day.

I reckon you can probably go between 200 miles - 400 miles on a tank if you drove everywhere like you were on fire vs cruising on a motorway in 6th the entire time, just be aware that as soon as the turbo kicks you have gone from sipping to chugging petrol :)

Edit - I used to get 38mpg average in my 1.2 Fiesta and while I didn't visit the petrol station as often (usually stretched it to a week and a half between fillups costing £45 vs putting £45-50 per week in the S3 currently) can't say its really given me a huge hit in the wallet, certainly consider it almost insignificant given the difference in car and power. The only time I notice it is I actually consider (large) distances when organising trips etc on the weekends whereas I gave it no thought before in the fiesta.

Last edited:
Get a high-spec sline 2.0T quattro ... yes it has the K03 but you can get that up to S3 power with a quick remap.
Interior and everything else is pretty much the same.

When I was looking, I couldn't bring myself to pay the premium for the S3 badge, chrome pedals etc. A similar milage
car was nearly twice the price!

The 20T is a fine car no doubt, but its nowt like an S3.

A Stage 1 20T will be 250bhp tops, Stage 1 S3 will be upwards of 310bhp.
The suspension is different.
The brakes are bigger.
The internals are different so more tuneable.
The residual values are stronger.
It has different wheels, bodykit, grill, etc..

So a little more than fancy mirrors and pedals you might find.....

Hence the premium.
Whether its `worth` it, is another debate.

Reactions: S3 AEX
If you're coming from a Leon and with a budget of between £10 and £12k I'd be looking at a VW Golf GTI. Towards the lower end of your budget you'd be in a MK 5 and towards the higher you'll be in a MK 6.

I had a MK 5 Pirelli Edition and absolutely loved it. Yes it was boring to look at but, it was reliable and was relatively quick. Relatively cheap to run and insure. Easy to modify or make it your own by changing the wheels and suspension. I'd recommend test driving one and then comparing to an S3 which you're likely to be looking at a car at least a year or two older for the same money. Yes the S3 may be rarer and have a better quality interior but, I don't think it's worth the extra ££££'s.

Reactions: PaulAr
I do 22-25k per year and use my stage 2+ S3 DSG for work everyday. Personally, I don't think the running costs are high at all!! Especially when you compare build quality, reliability, performance, depreciation (lack of) and the four rings what else can you get that comes close? :)

The 20T is a fine car no doubt, but its nowt like an S3.

A Stage 1 20T will be 250bhp tops, Stage 1 S3 will be upwards of 310bhp.
The suspension is different.
The brakes are bigger.
The internals are different so more tuneable.
The residual values are stronger.
It has different wheels, bodykit, grill, etc..

So a little more than fancy mirrors and pedals you might find.....

Hence the premium.
Whether its `worth` it, is another debate.

lol I am aware of the differences, and yes stage-against-stage tuning will always be more in the S3. But bang for buck, i'll stick with my 2.0T :) each to their own.

Reactions: PaulAr
Thanks for all the replies so far, this gives me good food for thought!
It's going to be about 2-3 months I would think, before the house sale goes through.
I am actually very confused at what to do with the money, thoughts of travelling or starting my own business or investing it in myself by learning a trade or skill or going on some courses have all been thought about.
I can't help but think I'm "jumping the queue" if I bought an S3. My wages are pitifully low, and I'm not in a position to feel justified to buy one. If that makes sense?
I managed to afford to buy a house because I saved, saved and saved whilst living at home and it just happened that it seemed to be at a very good time. Hence the potential cash flow.

Get a job offshore mate! Become like a construction supervisor or lift supervisor etc. good career and can earn loads of money, in which about 5 years time you could be looking at even better cars!

Reactions: Benny Boy
I know a lad who's going to learn a trade/skill in Japan! That is literally all I know but it's obviously worth it financially and how mental is that?! Japan!
That's probably not for me but I think I would relish the opportunity to work abroad or offshore. Any ideas how I could read up/research the opportunity to do so?

I work in It for a offshore wind farm installation company. I am mostly base onshore in a office but do get to travel depending where the projects are happening. The offshore guys loves it, some do 3 weeks on/off, depending what sector they are in.

To get a chance to work offshore you need to fund a lot of the certificates yourself e.g BOSIET, MIST ( these are 2 basic certificates you need) plus any other ones such as Ropes, Lifting etc. Company called Petans runs a lot of the courses you need.

If you're a sparky, builder, welder then they usually will want you without the certificates and fund them for you.

It's also who you know that helps a lot.

Reactions: Benny Boy