MMI High and Traffic Announcements

Chimp

Reaction score
I have discovered that Although I set the volume setting on the TA from the radio either DAB or FM to an acceptable level (around 16) but when I am listening to another source like SD Card the volume is matched on the TA ie Ear Blowing 25-30 as the SD level seems lower.

Anyone have the same problem or discovered how to properly set the TA level to a nice lower volume?

Personally I haven't used TP announcements since I got the first car with TMC traffic. You have the High system which has online crowd-sourced traffic which is even more accurate so I don't know why you'd even need the old TP announcements.

Not criticising at all, just puzzled why you'd be using them :)

It may be the volume announcements are source dependant. As different sources have different volumes, I'd expect the TA's to be different.

Have you tried setting the TA volume level whilst you have the SD card in and playing off it?

Personally I haven't used TP announcements since I got the first car with TMC traffic. You have the High system which has online crowd-sourced traffic which is even more accurate so I don't know why you'd even need the old TP announcements.

Not criticising at all, just puzzled why you'd be using them :)

Can I ask what is "online crowd-sourced traffic" and how do you enable it and also what info do you get? I don't seem to get this here in Ireland :(

Ok maybe I don't have MMI "high" I thought the online is for MMI High (Connect)? MMI High is the touch pad and larger screen but with the connect aspect.

So I can't use the Online stuffs :-(

I have tried the volume setting whilst the renouncement happens also and the next is just at the same level as the media source again :Flush:

Interesting, thanks :)

The biggest issue I have with TMC, however the system works, is that it only covers motorways and major roads. Anything smaller has no information whatsoever, at least on the A3. I was under the impression that the traffic system provided with Connect gave more data?

Can I ask what is "online crowd-sourced traffic" and how do you enable it and also what info do you get? I don't seem to get this here in Ireland :(

Well, after reading the link above I'm a bit confused about what exactly the various systems in the A3 provide but, generally speaking, crowd-sourced traffic information is where data is transmitted from nav systems or mobile phones in cars to a central system which can then use the information regarding your speed and so forth to work out where there's a jam. Systems like TMC which (historically at least) use the Trafficmaster cameras (the blue ones) to monitor traffic flow and thus only work where these cameras are located.

Obviously all systems can be augmented with additional data from other sources such as roadworks or road closures.

Reactions: illingworth22
I found the online traffic also helped me when the storms happened near Xmas last year, guided me round a lot of fallen trees. Even on the B roads. That was in my A6 but I made sure my A3 had that option too.

One thing I have tried, turning on the TP, which I had on for 3 hours at the weekend and not one single announcement cut in over my iPod? I wasn't really that bothered, just testing it and it seemed to fail....

Oh I have the TP on and on a 30 mile journey in the morning I get at least 4 different county's traffic reports and each one is at like MEGA loud level although I have set them to around 14-16, I use two area to help on my commute.

I might have to test another source and see if I need to set it's level to lower than 25ish to get some real volume blasting as I love my music and thats why I bought B&O system.

The biggest issue I have with TMC, however the system works, is that it only covers motorways and major roads. Anything smaller has no information whatsoever, at least on the A3. I was under the impression that the traffic system provided with Connect gave more data?

I checked this morning, compared google maps traffic against the INRIX database and the display on the RDS-TMC in the A3 (no Connect).

All 3 showed identical information about a specific B-road in Warwickshire. Having connect doesn't give you any more or less info than a non-connect car ! It's all sourced from the same database !

TAh0RI3.jpg

UjvxKGm.jpg

Non connect cars don't have the 'traffic' option in map views though, right? I think that's connect only anyway. The traffic list that it gives you as standard I've found pretty useless sometimes, not enough info no where things start/end, how long, how fast traffic is etc - no substitute for the coloured lines on the road to help you make decisions about whether to bail or stick with traffic, or divert before you hit it!

On non-Connect cars, you don't get the coloured lines by default, but you can get it to display the traffic incidents on the map display.

The listings now include Incident, Road, Type of Incident (congestion, accident etc.), standstill/slow traffic, how long the tailbacks/queue is etc.

I've never once seen a B-road on my list of traffic issues, only ever motorways and A-roads.

They are few and far between, I'm just looking at the live database now, on a Friday evening at 6pm, the majority of reports are M's and A's, out of 77 reported traffic events in the Midlands area, only a couple are B's, the rest are M's and A's.

This is because there are considerably less roadside monitors/cameras/sensors on B's, as well as less floating data cars and crowd sourcing data. Probably less reportable incidents too.

If however there's a B road closure or incident or event that's passed to INRIX from the HA and/or Police, this will appear on the list.