A3 AGU k250 vs k280

Rhop92

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm thinking about getting a hybrid k03 for my car and from what I've read so far beach buggy turbos is the way to go, I'm just hoping somebody could enlighten me, if I was to get a k250 (as I'm sure 250hp would be plenty) would that mean I need to change con rods at that power level and if so would it be better for me to go k280 incase I do decide I want a bit more power in the future

Thanks,
Russell

I'm in a similar situation with regards to going hybrid but I don't really see the point in the K250 as it's been proven you can get 240/245 out of a standard K03s with supporting mods.

As for rods it's generally understood the OE rods are good for 300 brake although it's worth pointing out that a poor spikey torquey map is far more likely to kill rods and has done at powers as low as 250 brake or so.

If I were you I'd be going for the K280 (or equivalent) although it's worth mentioning I spoke with Dan of BBT last week and he said he will not be talking any more orders after this month as he's away in September and any orders might not be fulfilled until the end of next month... Definitely speak to him before making any decisions though!

Last edited:
Agree with vag-slag, why go through all the cost and hassle to go k250? unless of course it has a fantastic amount of power under curve?
I read online a while ago the agu's were stronger.
any truth to this?

Thanks guys I did think that but I thought It was unlikely to get over 230 on a k03s? and was also wondering about the power curve of the k250 and if it can hold boost high up the rev range since my k03s drops off boost significantly higher up the revs anybody able to shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Russell

If you already have a K03s that works, i dont really think theres much point in buying the K250. If your turbos broken and needs rebuilt, or your upgrading from a standard K03, then its a good solid option for a rebuilt turbo that will give you a little more than a stock K03s.

To me, if your spending the money solely as an upgrade, if your not getting +50hp over what you have now its pointless, when you consider the cost for the K280/K300 model that WILL give you +50 isnt that much more.

Personally I would go for the K300, lots of flow, and perhaps have it detuned slightly for peace of mind, to around 290bhp to save on rods, with a progressive map from the likes of R-Tech.

must haves are a 3" down pipe, decat and supersize TIP for flow otherwise it defeats the point of having something like a K300 if it can't flow.

Thanks for your help guys :) I'll have a look into it when I get home from work, most likely go for the k300 with a lower tune

Thanks,
Russell