Timing belt changed - advice needed

slizza786

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

I bought my car at 98k (a3 2004 2.0 TDi) and recently iv been wondering if the timing belt had already been changed, the car has done 113k up until today.

I have had a look at the service histories and nothing seems to be written about a timing belt/water pump change. The last history I have on record for the car is at 93k.

Changing the belt in total will cost me £300. My issue is surely if the car was last serviced (to my knowledge of 93k) then the services before that would have checked to have seen of the belt was already changed? I know the general rule of thumb is to change it at 70k.

Therefore is there any way I can have a look myself to see the condition of the belt? Is there a guide I can use?

I don't believe you can see the timing belt without an effort to remove the timing belt cover. Even then, it may not be too obvious if and when the belt/water pump has been changed. If the car was serviced by Audi at 93k, then they will have a record of it noted on their computers. Any Audi main agent can check this for you for free. If the car was serviced by an independent, can you see their name in the service book? If so, then perhaps you could contact them directly. They should have a record of what was done on that date. If this work has not been done, then at 113k it is dangerously overdue. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply mate. The servicing seems to have been done by independent garages.

The last service history I have of the car is at 85k. At 85k there is no history of the belt being changed but what's to say it wasn't changed on the service before?

I think as of now the best option will be to call the garage who did it at 85k hoping they did the previous service and see if they have a record if the belt was changed or not.