LCR brembo alternative ?

basil brush

Reaction score
Randomly in stuck in 6 miles of traffic on the M11 and have been sat next to an MG TF for about 15 minutes and I've just noticed they have quite tasty looking front calipers !
A quick search on the bay reveals that they are ALOT cheaper than LCR brembos and are infact AP calipers .
My question is what measurements are important to A3 1.8t fitment ?
On the bay , brand new £175 delivered :eek:

baz

Soneone did mg brembos on seatcupra forum. Years ago. Tbh mate by the time you fabricate everything you will wish you got lcr brembos.
What piston sizes are they etc? What width disc do they take?

You would need to get some very special brackets made up (which may or may not work) as the offset and height will be different... I suggest you find the disc size of the MG TF first to see how far away they are... not all calipers are made to suite 323mm or 330mm discs... LCR are also 28mm thick so need to be sure they are suitable for that...

There is a reason they are cheap...

<tuffty/>

I think the guy who did this was a mk3 ibiza guy. Used 312mm disc redilled to 4x100 pcd which would suggest a 25mm disc?

You would need to get some very special brackets made up (which may or may not work) as the offset and height will be different... I suggest you find the disc size of the MG TF first to see how far away they are... not all calipers are made to suite 323mm or 330mm discs... LCR are also 28mm thick so need to be sure they are suitable for that...

There is a reason they are cheap...

<tuffty/>

you suggesting it "may" be due to demand reasons ? Lol

It would appear not !
Thought they looked the part and if we're similar spec and measurements to brembo could have been worth a try .
Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained ;)
Baz

It would appear not !
Thought they looked the part and if we're similar spec and measurements to brembo could have been worth a try .
Baz

Unless you are able to diy. Make the brackets up etc its costly is all mate.
I found a bargain set of ap racing cp6600 calipers.
Bill used to do brackets for 60 each but has since stopped making them.(sadly because thats a bargain) I couldnt get them anywhere for under £220. And ive seen the brackets they are hardly difficult!!
However that brings your £150 calipers to a min of £370
I just got some fresh painted lcr calipers and carriers for £270.a £30 quid seal kit. They are effectively new for £300.
Discs and pads easily available. Long term makes sense i think (hope)

It would appear not !
Baz

If it were that simple we would all be doing it :)

I searched on eBay for AP Racing and got some nice finds... calipers like mine essentially for 300 ish quid... you would still need brackets and brake lines and pads...

Cheap brake calipers are not cheap brake kits... just remember that... also... make sure you check what discs they use... std LCR ones are cheap so consumable costs will be cheaper... stuff like the ECS kits get expensive on consumables but you can buy the kits cheap secondhand...

<tuffty/>

Cheap brake calipers are not cheap brake kits...
<tuffty/>

Totally.. Picked up a pair of new Brembo juniors for £200.

When I added up carriers, discs, pads, hoses, bolts... I almost fell over!

It all adds up, probably best picking up a complete setup.

Yeh bought them from Bill, great quality but not the cheapest.

Had the brembo's fitted about 6 months now :sm4:

Yeh bought them from Bill, great quality but not the cheapest.

Had the brembo's fitted about 6 months now :sm4:

ahh ok. I know oem are mega bucks and i know of somewhere who sell them new at half price. No worries!!