Another Aberdeen S3 Sportback on the way ..

TheFiftheElement

Reaction score
Well after a week off work, and a few test drives, I've put down a deposit for a new S3 Sportback, the wait (I'm looking at a September delivery) will be a killer, but it gives me a bit more time with my immaculate Mk1 TT 225, and sometimes the anticipation for something is the best bit!

I was needing something a bit bigger than my TT, as my 11 year old is struggling to get in the back, I prefer 4WD for the cold and wet up here in Scotland (not that we had any snow this year really) and had pretty much had my choices down to a new S3, a Golf R (possibly a GTi) and a BMW 330D X-drive.

I only do about 5K a year, most of it town traffic, but with the occasional trip up north, B-road blast when the mood takes me and weekend trips to Edinburgh/Glasgow.

I had made my mind up that I wanted S-tronic/Auto, but also wanted to retain some interaction, as I would say I'm a manual man at heart. I had an inking the S-Tronic might be the transmission that suited me best. The only auto I have owned was a 3.0SD X5, and the slurring and slow throttle response made it a frustrating drive. It didn't last too long (and you were lucky to see 20 mpg around town, low 30's on a run so why have a diesel?).

Both golfs were ruled out pretty quickly, I wasn't keen on the interior after I sat in one, or the exterior of the Golf R in the flesh (the 3 door looks OK, the 5 door not so much). The only alloy wheels I like are the 19" Pretoria's on the R or the 18's on the GTD. Can't stand either the standard 18's or upgraded 19's on the GTi. Still I used to drive Subaru's so it's not all about how they look. Tried the GTi and felt it was a bit bland, nice revvy engine but by the time I spec'd it up it was almost R price. I did contemplate the GTD, but with all my short stop start journeys I didn't feel I'd benefit much from the diesel mpg, and I'm sure I'd be experiencing DPF problems before long.

Next stop BMW. Tried a 330D (not X-drive) but assumed they'd be similar to drive. Took it for a good hoon down the dual carriageway and on some back roads for a good hour. First impressions were good, felt classy on the inside, nice surge when the turbo kicked in, very smooth 8 speed transmission. Just cruised along at 70 no problem. This would be the car best suited for long journeys I think. Handled well on the back roads, but it felt a wee bit sluggish even in sport mode, throttle response felt a bit slow and with 8 gears and a narrow rev range (compared to petrol) I was flipping up and down gears without any real idea of what gear I was in. I guess I'd get more familiar with it. I did come away quite impressed. Not ruled out anyway.

On to the S3 S-tronic and took out the red demo Aberdeen Audi have. First impressions, very quiet, steering way too light (remember I'm used to my wooden and heavy TT), defo feels harder sprung than the BMW. Felt a wee bit light and tinny. Nice interior (didn't feel as plush as the BMW). S-tronic does it's instant gear change thing. Disappointed with it for the first 10 mins, tbh, feels very similar to my old 8P manual Sportback (lasted 18 months before I got bored). So far, it's BMW in the lead.
Still, lets do the same route as the BMW and see how it feels. Get off the dual carriageway, stick it into sport mode, 2nd gear, hoof. Wow, that's better, nice woomph noise from the back on upshift, steering still too light, but easy to place on the road, good sharp brakes. Throttle response almost instant. Now I'm having fun. It feels light on it's feet compared to the 330D. Loving it in manual mode with the paddles. Back into town, hit the eco mode, back to docile and quiet. So it's basically 2 cars, a common domesticated moggy in town, and a feral cat when you wake it up.

I mulled it over for a few days, I get bored of cars quickly, have had a 330D before, and an 8P S3 (as well as a 2xJCW minis, Porsche Boxster, an X5, various Impreza's, Forester STi) and came to the conclusion I think the Audi would keep me entertained for longer. I did like the BMW though, so back into both garages to see what sort of finance deals and discounts were on offer.
That's when it becomes a no brainer, the relatively high GFV of the S3 means I can keep my deposit low (and more cash in the bank) and it's still cheaper on a monthly basis than the 330D. Especially when I add my 2 must have options, heated seats and Xenon's which to my surprise are options on the BMW. Bigger discount on the BMW, but I need less options on the S3 and a healthy discount as well seals the deal.

After much deliberation, I've order a 5 door Sportback, Phantom Black, Silver Leather, Comfort Pack (with Audi parking plus), Mono Pur, Audi Sound System, Mono.Pur, Hill hold, aluminium roof rails, auto mirrors and interior light pack. So I've not gone daft with the options. It's pretty basic.

My JCW mini was spec'd to the hilt, sat nav, bucket seats, harmon kardon sound etc. and I think I used the sat nav once, I listen mainly to the radio (or the engine) so the B&O is wasted on me. I'm still deliberating over the exterior colour and seats. Aberdeen Audi have a monsoon grey S3 saloon in the showroom, with the silver interior (mono.pur I think) and it's a very classy, understated car. The lighter interior really lifts the darkness. That's my current thinking for Phantom/Silver. If Sprint or Sepang Blue was an option (and not a custom colour), I think I'd be ordering it.

So now a 5 month or so wait .. love reading all the threads in here, so hopefully can contribute at some point in the future .. apologies for the long initial rant, I mean post hehe ..

Reactions: PilotAudi, Joetidman, Pulp84 and 3 others
Nice post, clearly thought it through!! I would say that 330D and S3 aren't comparable interior wise which is why u felt that difference (different group of car), but u made the right choice! Personally I think the interior of the A3 is actually an improvement on the A4/5, looks more future-y, and it's only the smaller centre console which is slightly less plush.

Not sure if the steering felt light cos of the progressive steering?

Nice post, clearly thought it through!! I would say that 330D and S3 aren't comparable interior wise which is why u felt that difference (different group of car), but u made the right choice! Personally I think the interior of the A3 is actually an improvement on the A4/5, looks more future-y, and it's only the smaller centre console which is slightly less plush.

Not sure if the steering felt light cos of the progressive steering?

Dynamic mode is heavy and totally awesome

Agreed, if you stick the steering into dynamic mode, it weights up and feels heavier.

However - I do think it adds (unnecessary) friction without adding any further feel, so I tend to keep the steering in auto under the individual settings.

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Im sure we will be able to keep you amused till collection day. Enjoy the forum.

Good write up...and good decision ;) I'd add to the comments that the steering in auto is ace and dynamic good on the twisties, comfort (which I presume you had it set in) is a bit light for me too, but useful around the town centre.

I love the interior, very classy IMO, but appreciate a decent 3-series might be more plush. I doubt it's seats are as good as my Supersports though, I recommend you try some out and reconsider... :)

Nice Spec and welcome... Silver interior is nice but can be a pain to keep looking so. Had silver Valcona on an A5 for nearly 3 years. Keep leather cleaner and cloth in the car and it's fine. Agree it lightens the car but our Pano roof does that too!

I'm just loving our Phantom S3.. the only options I miss are rear ski hatch, have had on last few cars and missing it and the Audi in car Wi-Fi.

Thanks folks, I think I did have the steering in dynamic on the back roads but can't be 100% sure. If I set up the steering, engine etc to my liking in individual, are those settings kept? A bit like the M button an M3? I don't need to set them up again before every drive do I?

I am still in 2 minds over the colour and seats. I think black/black is a bit too, well black really, always have liked lighter seats (had beige in my X5).

I do like being held in place, so will try the Super Sports seats, but that would mean changing the exterior colour (probably brilliant red, as I can offset the cost of the seats against a no cost colour, but most new S3's are red). If I'm right the seat base is no different to the standard seats? Is it just the side bolsters that are bigger?

Hmmm, I guess I have a wee while to decide, either phantom/silver or red/ss seats for an extra few £. That's the difficult thing, some days I may want a look at me red car, other days I'd like more discretion .. I'm not sure the chrome grill works with the red either so would need to add the black pack, which then removes the signature chrome S3 grill which makes it stand out from a 'normal' S3.

Why couldn't sprint/sepang/nagaro blue be an option (without paying £2.5K)? I wonder if Audi will release a ferw more colours by the time I need to absolutely nail down my spec?

Thanks folks, I think I did have the steering in dynamic on the back roads but can't be 100% sure. If I set up the steering, engine etc to my liking in individual, are those settings kept? A bit like the M button an M3? I don't need to set them up again before every drive do I?

I am still in 2 minds over the colour and seats. I think black/black is a bit too, well black really, always have liked lighter seats (had beige in my X5).

I do like being held in place, so will try the Super Sports seats, but that would mean changing the exterior colour (probably brilliant red, as I can offset the cost of the seats against a no cost colour, but most new S3's are red). If I'm right the seat base is no different to the standard seats? Is it just the side bolsters that are bigger?

Hmmm, I guess I have a wee while to decide, either phantom/silver or red/ss seats for an extra few £. That's the difficult thing, some days I may want a look at me red car, other days I'd like more discretion .. I'm not sure the chrome grill works with the red either so would need to add the black pack, which then removes the signature chrome S3 grill which makes it stand out from a 'normal' S3.

Why couldn't sprint/sepang/nagaro blue be an option (without paying £2.5K)? I wonder if Audi will release a ferw more colours by the time I need to absolutely nail down my spec?

Individual setting are kept, so they will stay and be there whenever you turn the engine on

Super sports seats are completely different, all one-piece back, and additional benefit is you can sit the seat lower down in the car versus the standard sports seat for a more sporty driving position. Side suport is very good (personal view) and I think you'll find a lot of comments about them being more comfortable than the standard sports seats (although they are very good too). The silver diamond quilting on the seats to 'relieve' the black on black a little (although I love the black on black on black ;) ) and looks very classy. You also get the rear seats with diamond quilting as a result too, which is nice. SS Seats also have electric lumbar support too as standard, saving some money there (and great if you have a bad back like me).

Personally love the chrome grill and highlights which complement the alloys, especially on a black car, I'll take others views on their red, grey and white cars, but often looks good to my eyes, looking at pics.

Some pics from my S3 saloon below if that helps

View attachment 32044
View attachment 32045
View attachment 32046

Thanks joetidman .. it's really just the grill I'm not 100% on with regards to the chrome. From the rear, black/chrome looks awesome, side view too .. and I like the silver accent down in the air intakes, and I don't mind the chrome outline on the grill .. it's the slats .. to me sometimes there's a bit much chrome and it looks a bit 'chintzy' :huh:

I've seen an RS4 and an RS6 both in Milano in the last week and they both look awesome, however they both have black grills (mesh) so there's not as much bling going on there, but can retain the silver accents round the windows, exhausts and also the aluminium roof rails which I think finish off the Sportback.

I think I need to try out the standard seat (the demo has the parade red - question - is that the standard seat ?) to see how I get on with it.

The monsoon grey/silver S3 saloon in the showroom looked fantastic, but on a dull day like today, walking to the gym I saw a few grey Audi's and they all looked drab and dull :sadlike:

No parade red is £895 option over standard, and I don't know a single person to have specced them...

Ah, wires crossed, I know the parade red is an option, what I meant was is it just the standard seat (but with the red swatches) .. I meant is it the standard seat in terms of shape/bolsters/seat base etc.

The demo I drove had parade red, and I felt it was comfy and gripped well, if the standard spec black/silver seat is the same construction as parade red then I think I'd be happy enough with it (so I won't spec the super sports seats) ..

SS seats are totally different to the standard seat in comfort terms. deep, luxurious and incredibly comfortable with a wee bit more side bolster.

they are a performance COMFORT seat, not Super-Sport IMO

Ah, wires crossed, I know the parade red is an option, what I meant was is it just the standard seat (but with the red swatches) .. I meant is it the standard seat in terms of shape/bolsters/seat base etc.

The demo I drove had parade red, and I felt it was comfy and gripped well, if the standard spec black/silver seat is the same construction as parade red then I think I'd be happy enough with it (so I won't spec the super sports seats) ..

I'll try and answer your question ;)

Yes it is the same seat (Sports Seat) in terms of bolsters and cushions.

Note there are 3 levels of seats, Standard Seat (fitted to SE), Sports Seat (fitted to Sport, S-line, S3, fabric/coverings vary), and Super Sports Seat (S3 Only).

(As an aside, my previous S3 8P 3dr Sports Seat were more comfortable and supportive than the current 8V Sports Seats)

Thanks folks ... I've a wee while yet to consider my options but good to know seat options .. now all I need (I think) is for sepang or sprint blue to become an S3 colour and I may go Blue/SS seats rather than Panther Black/Silver Standard ..