Getting album art on MMI

Migwire

Reaction score
I've searched the forum, and know the resolution of the cover art dictates whether or not it displays in the standard MMI.

However, what I want to know is, is there a program for retrospectively adding artwork to the gigabytes of mp3's I already have? Tried mp3tag, but for some reason nothing happens when I add a folder....i.e the tracks don't appear in mp3tag.

If you use iTunes, give this ago: select all your music and then right click and click on 'Get Album Artwork'.

Actually most of my mp3's have artwork..... What I'd like to be able to do is quickly resize them all for the mmi, rather than manually resize 200gb worth of albums one at a time....YIKES!

I copied the tracks I wanted from my iTunes onto a SD card, then used mp3tag to get missing artwork, but I'm afraid you have to resize each individual file to the correct size, which is a bit of a pain!!

Just to play devil's advocate, is it really worth the effort, especially if you end up having to do it manually? I started off thinking the artwork was important but tbh I now never notice it in the car, and I've usually got maps displayed instead anyway.

Just to play devil's advocate, is it really worth the effort, especially if you end up having to do it manually? I started off thinking the artwork was important but tbh I now never notice it in the car, and I've usually got maps displayed instead anyway.
True. I've got some artwork displaying, but on non tech pack, I don't like the fact it only shows either under "Functions" menu or "Detailed track info". What I don't like is, selecting detailed track info also selects it for the DAB radio. Nit picking really all being told though ;)

You can batch resize using the method detailed HERE

Brlliant find - thank you !!! Been sorting a few, well a lot of my albums on to a portable HDD - 5000 files in all and the batch resizing, following the guide contained in the link works a treat :)

Hi, please can someone explain how to get the album artwork to display on the MMI? I've got music onto my SD card from iTunes but after reading the forum I'm still struggling?😪

I think the maximum resolution is 500x500. I resized the cover, then used mp3tag to embed the artwork. I had that many alums to edit with Bliss it used to all of the free "fixes" and required payment to continue automatically.

I used MP3Tag with 'Album Art Downloader'. Was a couple of evenings work to do the 30gb I had on my SD card but worth it really.

With album art downloader?? Many of mine still haven't resized.

I think the maximum resolution is 500x500.

It's 800x800. I found this on a thread in this forum - have just tried looking for it but cannot quickly find it. I had some Led Zep albums where the artwork was > 800x800 but by downloading the soft in Micromecca's post above, setting the parameters exactly as the site says (800res and 100 Quality) they show beautifully now on the MMI

It's 800x800. I found this on a thread in this forum - have just tried looking for it but cannot quickly find it. I had some Led Zep albums where the artwork was > 800x800 but by downloading the soft in Micromecca's post above, setting the parameters exactly as the site says (800res and 100 Quality) they show beautifully now on the MMI

Sorry, but it's 500x500 on the standard MMI system.

Yep - 800x800 applies to Tech pack, 500x500 on the standard MMI system

With album art downloader?? Many of mine still haven't resized.

That's what it's called. 'Album Art Downloader'. I followed a guide on here somewhere from a while ago for setting it all up.

Reactions: Migwire
At least I think it was on here... can't remember for sure, it was a long time ago now!

If I remember right, I ordered my MP3s by track number, and ran the album art downloader on each track 1 in my collection. This would save the album art to the folder (I just picked an 800x800 one each time, some needed editing though, and some weren't found and I had to google). Once each folder (which is equivalent to album in my layout) has an artwork file, I just imported the artwork to every track on my SD card, and each one picks up the artwork from its own folder. I keep a folder on my computer which I make changes to when I want to add/remove/retag music on my SD card, which has all the artwork on it too. When I copy to my SD card I literally take the whole folder and put it on the card, then search for the artwork.jpg (or whatever I called it) on the card, and delete all instances (keeping them on my computer copy).

My apologies, you are quite correct - my non-tech pack MMI shows albumart <= 500x500. The Led Zep artwork I was looking at on my MMI was less than 500x500 but when I viewed a shed load of images using the Sanse prog on my PC, I thought they were the same ones as on the MMI - they wern't. Just spent the last hour resizing again and now stuff that I didn't think had artwork now has lol!

Thanks for the correction.

My apologies, you are quite correct - my non-tech pack MMI shows albumart <= 500x500. The Led Zep artwork I was looking at on my MMI was less than 500x500 but when I viewed a shed load of images using the Sanse prog on my PC, I thought they were the same ones as on the MMI - they wern't. Just spent the last hour resizing again and now stuff that I didn't think had artwork now has lol!

Thanks for the correction.

No problem, Rozel....I must admit it's a pity the standard MMI only accepts 500x500, as the standard size iTunes seems to default to is 600x600, so it means I have to change each art work to 500x500, which is a pita!!!