Your opinion please S5 vs A5 3.0 TDI (Sportback)

AdamZA

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm looking at purchasing an Audi A5 Sportback and I'm torn between the 3.0 TDI and the S5 V6T. Any A5/S5 I get would be the black edition (though tbh I would quite like the chrome highlights against the Estoril Blue. The black edition just has so much more as standard as you all know). I'm moving from a BMW E92 325d M Sport Coupe and, although all my test drives have been on cars with 20" wheels and the lowered S-Line sports suspension (30mm drop) I have been impressed with the comfort. I was going to factory order the A5 with standard sports (20mm) suspension on 19" wheels since they no longer do the 20" anymore. They also don't do Estoril Blue anymore. I don't understand what Audi are thinking :p

I'm looking at one at a dealership on the forecourt in Estroil Blue with Lunar Silver/Black interior, with some but not all of the toys - there's no Drive Select or Dynamic Steering which is the main thing I would be missing from my spec list if I was placing a factory order.

I guess I'm sitting on the fence and I have to decide by Monday and I was hoping that some of you could share your experiences and advice.

I test drove the S5 with drive select and then test drove that one on the forecourt without. I didn't feel that I need the drive select but I'm wondering if I was just swayed because of the fact that there was one there which meant I didn't have to wait for a factory order. What do you guys think of drive select/dynamic steering? Without it, the steering seems light at low speeds for easy manoeuvring and changes at higher speeds - I didn't get to drive the forecourt one on any kind of roads to see what I would be missing out on in dynamic mode.

The other thing that is putting me off is that since the test drive, where I was blown away by the engine note, I have learnt that Audi uses a sound actuator to 'enhance the engine sound' and I don't know how I feel about knowing that its not the sound of the actual engine - even if its just amplified. Am I also right in thinking that on a non drive select car this isn't as prominent? Does anyone know if it automatically activates when you put a non drive select car into sport mode?

Lastly... running costs. I've never had a car with a petrol engine before - always diesel. With a performance car like the S5, have any of you guys experienced any problems or is maintenance likely to be more expensive in general than if I was buying the 3.0 TDI? Any extra problems during services etc that wouldn't show up on a diesel until much later? I know fuel is going to cost me double and road tax £120 more than the diesel - I guess I'm not hoping for miracles in fuel efficiency! The thing is, besides the quad exhausts and the aluminium mirrors, the car looks the same as the black edition TDI (I blame the RS5) and the TDI, once remapped, goes above 300bhp and has crazy amounts of torque anyway.

What are your views? Perhaps I'm just venting my thoughts as I've never bought such an expensive car and I don't want to get the S5 and regret it for any reason.

Otherwise the super sports seats are almost enough to convince me on their own :p would have got Audi exclusive line Alabaster white and black interior on the TDI.

Thanks,

Adam

Both great cars, MPG on either will depend how you drive them. Both can be improved with maps. Key thing is, do both come with the sports differential? This does make a big difference and may influence your choice if you are coming from a BMW. Estoril Blue is a beautiful colour.

Reactions: warren_S5
Both great cars, MPG on either will depend how you drive them. Both can be improved with maps. Key thing is, do both come with the sports differential? This does make a big difference and may influence your choice if you are coming from a BMW. Estoril Blue is a beautiful colour.

Thanks for your reply Cuppa. Based on my web research I'm expecting anywhere between 22-26mpg from the S5. Not sure if that is optimistic or not. My 325d is remapped to 300bhp (for sale if anyone is interested :p) and the mpg isn't great for a diesel. I imagine the 3.0 TDI would be the same.

Neither has the sports differential - does it really transform the drive? How so? I know it individually gives power to the rear wheels rather than as a pair but how does this translate to the feel on the road? I was impressed by the Quattro as having all that power in my BMW is a lot of fun especially with the back kicking out - but unless I turn traction control off, the power just cuts out due to the ESP. I didn't experience that in the S5 or the A5 TDI...

The sports diff is Audis attempt to liven things up a little - the car will still have significantly better handling, tighter steering response and a much sportier feel and really help you through corners.

If you want a more exciting drive then the sports diff is worth having and for many is a deal-breaker, both for their own use and then again for resale value.

I own an A4 3.0 tdi. I love it to be honest. It's probably not the most fun car in the world but is really predicable and plain fast! A remap really transforms it as well so I hear.

I am currently averaging 42mpg on dis and that's purely town driving at the minute although I am driving like a granny.

I do have the ads system and I think it's great. The dampening goes really soft on comfort mode and really stiff on dynamic. The steering weight it also really noticeable.
I have the dynamic steering too which make it's on full lock on one turn of the wheel. It's impressive.

I'd be happy with either of the above cars. I chose the 3.0 tdi for day to day running costs and purely because I'm a diesel fan but I can appreciate the performance and class of the S5. The S5 would definitely be quicker but more expensive to run.

As cuppa said, the sports diff would be a deal breaker for me. It's one extra I wish my car had.

What sort of yearly miles do you cover?

Thanks kanecullen89 - I used to do a lot of motorway miles but these days that's stopped. Most of the driving is now city miles. I estimate maximum 10,000 per annum with minimum going down to as little as 5,000. I know I will miss the economy of my diesel engine - but I'm just thinking that the driving experience will be worth the trade off. The steering in my BMW is quite heavy so I was impressed enough with the standard steering on the A5/S5 but I was going to get dynamic steering and audi drive select added on anyway. Does your car have the damper control then seeing as you're commenting on the suspension? I was thinking it was something I would go without.

I appreciate that you guys are both saying the sports diff is a deal breaker... I wish I could drive one to compare. Alas, my time is limited to decide as I don't want to lose the one on the forecourt. Since I can't order Estoril Blue anymore and that really the only colour I wanted (not a fan of black, my current car is grey and I've had enough of it and my previous car before this BMW was an A3 Sportback Black Edition in Ibis White) I'm at a loss of what to do! If I was going for the TDI I would get Scuba blue.

The full spec of the car on the forecourt is:

Audi Parking System Advanced w/reversing camera
Convenience package
fully electronic, folding, audi-dim with memory side mirrors
sunroof
heated front seats
carbon atlas inlays
mobile pred high with audi connect
tech package high

Things which I'm losing if I was to order from factory:

audi drive select
dynamic steering
heated rear seats
maybe the sports diff
maybe the damper control

I guess 4 of those 5 options are the ones that change the driving experience significantly... Plus it doesn't sound like a very high spec car considering what it's missing. Opinons? If I'm spending this much money should I make sure that it has every single thing I'm after? Which would mean a lead time of about 6 months probably.

Yeah mine does have the damper control. It really does transform the car. I could live without it but I do love having it.

I was under the impression that all ADS cars came with the active dampening?

Without buying brand new it would be hard to find all the extras you want. Luckily I manage to find mine at Essex. It was low mileage at 30,000 and had full audi service history.
The extras it came with was:
- ADS with damper control and dynamic steering
- full heated and electronically controlled leather seats
- interior lighting pack
- dab radio
- nav
- audi music interface
- front and rear parking sensors
- auto lights and wipers

There are a few options missing that I would have liked but it's hard to find it all without buying it brand new

Nope damper control is another extra which can only be selected with ADS. Maybe its different on the A4? Damper control was something I was looking at when I first started looking at the A5 - I managed to get a 24 hour test drive of a 3.0 TDI and I took it on the worst roads around my area to test the suspension. I was so impressed with it that I decided to leave the damper control off my wish list. That TDI also had the 30mm S-Line suspension and 20" wheels and I thought if I ended up with the 19" rotor wheels and the sports suspension (20mm) then I would have been even happier with the ride comfort so definitely wouldn't need it.

It's a bit of a strange situation but I can't buy used as the %APR is double on the finance which drastically raises the monthly payments as well as the deposit needed to get into the car. It makes it more expensive than buying new. This S5 on the forecourt is new (not got a registration plate yet). There's also more room to haggle on a new car than a used car. I'm aiming to get £7k chopped off excluding dealer contribution.

There are only 4 black edition 3.0TDI's used in scuba blue in the whole country lol (if buying from Audi) as well which makes it impossible to find what I want at a good price if used.

I suppose if I had to factory order, seeing as they don't make Estoril Blue anymore I would get Glacier White and ask them to get me some 20" rotors from the RS5.

I tried both and the S5 had a bit more character, soul and the V6T engine is oozing potential. It might be light on cylinders against the pre-facelift model, but for me it offered real 450+BHP performance potential with limited cash investment.

I've driven a car with Drive Select / Soorts diff and it's incredible how disarmingly agile such a big car felt. It's a big heavy lump of a car, and it felt so much more manageable than I was expecting tucking tight into corners. I had to have it, and ended up having to buy new to get it as it was non negotiable for me. The soundaktor is unfortunate but can be remedied by removing a fuse, then adding a better exhaust / CAI.

The 3.0TDi is a very decent car but it just lacked a bit of magic for me, and as I'm not doing huge mileage or daily commutes economy didn't factor in the decision. The V6T has won Wards engine of the year award for a number of years now, and for good reason.

If you're a diesel fan then stick with the burner, it will still be a good car, but if you fancy something a bit different and revvier then try the V6T.

Reactions: AdamZA and kanecullen89
Thanks Warren. I've read your waiting thread - you must be really looking forward to collection now that it's so close. You had to wait ages - i'm not the most patient of guys in terms of waiting for new things lol. I guess the wait would be worth it. But then I lose Estoril Blue :(

Your post really was very helpful. Thank you! My only question would then be, have you driven one without drive select and the sports diff?

I tried both and the S5 had a bit more character, soul and the V6T engine is oozing potential. It might be light on cylinders against the pre-facelift model, but for me it offered real 450+BHP performance potential with limited cash investment.

I've driven a car with Drive Select / Soorts diff and it's incredible how disarmingly agile such a big car felt. It's a big heavy lump of a car, and it felt so much more manageable than I was expecting tucking tight into corners. I had to have it, and ended up having to buy new to get it as it was non negotiable for me. The soundaktor is unfortunate but can be remedied by removing a fuse, then adding a better exhaust / CAI.

The 3.0TDi is a very decent car but it just lacked a bit of magic for me, and as I'm not doing huge mileage or daily commutes economy didn't factor in the decision. The V6T has won Wards engine of the year award for a number of years now, and for good reason.

If you're a diesel fan then stick with the burner, it will still be a good car, but if you fancy something a bit different and revvier then try the V6T.

I completely agree with Warren's view on this. Sums it up well

I have, I've driven two without sports diff, both still had ADS and active dampers / steering.

They're still very able cars without diff, but once I drove one with diff it was like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it made the car all I could have hoped for agility wise.

The dampers are quite good for ironing out the worst round town roads, but the steering is a mixed bag. I don't much care for comfort steering unless I'm parking (less turns to lock), but otherwise I would run sports all the time.

Therefore ADS for me will likely be:

Diff: Sports
Steering: Auto
Suspension: Auto or Sports (TBD)

Then there were the lunar/black sport seats (oh momma!). A bit of memory seats thrown in to offset my vertically challenged wife's need to set everything at polar opposites to where is choose them and the essentials were covered (Blk Ed had tech pack, B&O and rotors as std so all covered off)

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and AdamZA
Hmm you've given me a lot to think about mate. I'm going to the dealership on Monday to make some kind of order... that could vary between a high spec A5 sportback 3.0TDI to a high spec S5 sportback.

I'll have a look at the one on the forecourt again and maybe drive it a bit to assess the steering. One thing I really like about my 325d is taking it north east of London on some really good country roads i've found - when I had the 3.0 TDI for 24 hours I took the car on these country roads too. Obviously my BMW was more fun to drive but the A5 sportback handled itself well (dynamic on the way out, comfort on the way back in). I had enough grip and the steering seemed to do what I wanted it to do albeit with not as much feedback. Dynamic mode really made a difference to the steering obviously.

I can't find any used s5 sportbacks around with the sports diff so don't know how to make this decision without the test drive. Driving without drive select didn't seem to be a deal breaker - after all, every car I've owned thus far hasn't been able to do that and I've managed just fine. I think the sports diff would have been more important to me if I was ordering the coupe. Decisions decisions!

The guy i'm dealing with at watford audi has been really good - best salesman i've ever dealt with. But he's saying this s5 on the forecourt obviously can't be held for my while I make up my mind. Therefore I have until Monday to at least make up my mind on whether I want that particular s5! I will probably see estimated build dates and might base it on that.

Warren, what is the total wait time for you? How many months?

I agree with you about the 'fun' element but the quattro system on these cars are just so capable and plain fast.

And I have a daughter so I have different priorities now and they can drive fast but safe

Reactions: s33nyboy12
I agree with you about the 'fun' element but the quattro system on these cars are just so capable and plain fast.

And I have a daughter so I have different priorities now and they can drive fast but safe

Agreed - the whole reason I'm moving to a sportback instead of sticking with my current coupe or going for the a5 coupe is because I want it to be future family friendly (I'm not even married yet lol, yet I'm planning so that one day it won't be impossible to fit a baby seat in the back :p) The only time when I need the car to feel sporty and grip the corners is when I go on those country roads to drive and have fun - and sadly my chances that I get to do that are limited these days by work and family commitments anyway.

But then again kanecullen89, you've also said that the sports diff is the one thing you wish you had!

One thing is for certain - I'm glad I posted on here because i've had some great advice from all of you guys and been able to rant about this to people who actually care :p

I think you'll struggle to find a SB with diff as the car is likely family orientated and other items will have been priority. It's still a very fine car without it, and what you haven't tried you won't miss.

My wife doesn't like being driven fast in the car, so I got comfort dampers for when she's in it, then all the ADS kit for when I'm alone and find that perfect piece of road! The car needed a split personality, sharp and focussed for me, stately and cosseting for her! Buying the ADS pack (other than the remap/pulley etc.) has essentially bought me two cars in one.

Wait time wise, there are ways to shorten the wait time. I ordered January 28th, then it will be delivered circa May 28th. If you can find a dealer who has a build slot allocated that they can amend to your spec you could get it inside 3 months. If you spec it up as we did you're more likely to be looking at 4-5 months depending on shipping routes and batch runs.

I'd search the whole Audi UK used site to find your closest perfect match, see if there is any scope for your dealer to get that car in (sometimes it may be within group), if not travel to see the car (to make sure it's tidy), then buy off forecourt as it sounds like it will get you into what you want faster. West London Audi had a lot of SBs when I was last in there if that's in your catchment.

Tough decision to make, but come winter Quattro will give you a peace of mind you could have never imagined, it just won't be quite as lively day to day as the BMW without ADS/Sports diff.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Last edited:
Warren does a better job than the sales guy at Audi for convincing me to buy an s5 v6T!
I'm just waiting for a small drop in price as I don't want to sell my m3, I know its sad but I love it and its feel when I push the straight six to limits...... I'll end up going for the s5 / s4 v6t then straight to revo for a tweak . As above great all round engine the v6T

Sean

Reactions: Revo Steve-W and warren_S5
I've spoken to a lot of people lately (Shrek 5 / Snake Pliksin / Caney / Jay Gemson / Revo Kev....) most of whom have had 2.0T cars (and some heavily modified), and all have commented on how underrated the V6T is in the general press. Revo, MRC and APR have worked wonders on the engine to turn out over 450bhp (and sub 4s 0-60, sub 9s 0-100) for under £2k which shows how Audi have basically held the engine back to fit in the hierarchy under the V8 in the RS.

People are starting to realise this engine is a bit of a hidden gem in the Audi range, has phenomenal reliability, and with the heavy facelift revisions post 2011 the car has been polished quite a bit ahead of the dynamic capabilities of the pre 2011 version (I do have a link somewhere with a list of changes which is far more than facelift body/lights).

I know the belief will be that because I'm buying one I'll blow smoke up its ****. I went in to buy an 8V S3 saloon and walked out with an S5 coupe as it was the better car (in my opinion). You can get a new one for mid 40's with very high spec making it the bargain S in the whole range by my wallet!

Last edited:
Reactions: DAYTONA 500
The S5 V6T is the one to go for, but I think if you don't get sport diff and ever drive one with sport diff you'll lose the love for your car. Get the sport diff if at all possible.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and warren_S5
Facelift A5 press release:

Audi is refreshing the A5 model series. Advanced technologies are being added to the Sportback, Coupé, Cabriolet and S5 models in the areas of the engine, quattro drive and infotainment for even more efficiency, sportiness and intelligence. The updated design visually underscores the technical expertise involved in these versions.

The Audi A5 models are now more distinctive than ever. The rear lights and the headlights have been redesigned and are optionally available in xenon plus technology with homogenous LED daytime running lights. New colors and materials accentuate the interior, and many details of the operating concept have been fine-tuned.

Each of the four TDI diesel and three TFSI gasoline units in the new engine lineup include forced induction and direct fuel injection. The new 1.8 TFSI features a number of groundbreaking innovations. Fuel consumption has been reduced by 11 percent on average. The start-stop system and the recuperation system come standard with all engine-transmission configurations.

Each engine is matched with the ideal drivetrain - six-speed manual, multitronic, seven-speed S tronic, front-wheel drive or quattro drive. When combined with S tronic, the quattro drivetrain uses the crown-gear center differential and torque vectoring; the sport differential is the perfect complement. The chassis has been more finely tuned, with the optional Audi drive select system and dynamic steering making the Audi A5 even more fun to drive. The electromechanical power steering is new to the Audi A5 family.

The new A5 is a highly intelligent car. Its driver assistance systems have undergone intensive further development. The range of infotainment options now includes the Bluetooth online car phone, which delivers a number of special services and connects the Audi A5 to the Internet.

Exterior design and body

Ever since their debut, the models of the Audi A5 family - the Sportback, Coupé and Cabriolet - have impressed with their elegance. The flowing silhouettes, the sharp lines and the muscular surfaces make strong statements. The product improvement adds sharp new accents to the design.

The upper corners of the single-frame grille in high-gloss black are beveled. The grille's lateral bars and the Audi rings appear to be sculpted. The new bumper features pronounced air inlets with massive struts, revamped grilles and flat fog lights. Sharply chiseled edges give the engine hood a three-dimensional look; the entire front end appears even flatter and wider.

The headlights have also been updated. Their lower edge forms a wave; their interior has been restructured. With the optional xenon plus headlights, the LED daytime running lights form a narrow, homogenous clasp framing the headlight. Audi also offers the adaptive light system with dynamic cornering light and turning light. The rear lights have also been redesigned and are optionally available with continuous LED light strips. The bumper includes a number of additional details.

The product improvement has added a millimeter (0.04 in) to each of the exterior dimensions. The Audi A5 Sportback is 4.71 meters (15.45 ft) long; the Coupé and the Cabriolet 4.63 meters (15.19 ft). The range of colors has been reshuffled and now comprises 16 colors. The fully automatic acoustic top of the Audi A5 Cabriolet is available in four colors. The S line exterior package is available for those who appreciate an even more dynamic look.

The vehicle bodies impress with high rigidity, outstanding crash safety, high vibrational comfort and low weight. The front fenders are made of aluminum for improved axial load distribution. Aerodynamic fine-tuning measures include a lined underbody.

Interior design

A harmonious balance of proportions and surfaces, fine materials and top-quality fit and finish: The interior of the Audi A5 models reflects the Audi brand culture. It is now more elegant than ever - with new steering wheels, including an option for a flattened ring, new steering column stalks and with narrow chrome clasps framing the control elements.

A button is used to directly adjust the optional seat heating and seat ventilation in three stages. Also updated were the ignition key, the selector lever for the automatic transmission, the button for the optional Audi drive select system and the controls of the high-efficiency air conditioning and multifunction steering wheel. All displays are now illuminated in white.

New paint covers the bezels on the instrument cluster and the center console, and there is also a new selection of upholstery and inlays. The latter are available in Aluminium Trigon or in walnut or natural fine grain ash. Almost all of the interior colors are new. Fine Nappa leather replaces Valcona in the Sportback, and the armrests can also be covered in leather, if desired. The Audi A5 Sportback is also now optionally available as a five-seater.

Another attractive option is the S line sport package. It drapes the interior in black and accentuates it with elegant applications. A sport suspension lowers the vehicle body by 10 millimeters (0.39 in), and 18-inch wheels round out the package. Buyers looking for that special something will find many more customization options in the Audi exclusive range, including the stylish Audi exclusive line with two-tone seat coverings.

Engines

The Audi A5 family sets new standards for sportiness and efficiency. All engines feature forced induction and direct injection for tremendous pulling power. Even the entry-level engine produces 320 Nm (236.02 lb-ft) of torque. The start-stop system and the recuperation system are standard with all engines - no other manufacturer takes such a rigorous approach. The lineup comprises three gasoline engines and four TDI units. CO2 emissions have been reduced by as much as 22 percent.

The completely redesigned 1.8 TFSI showcases the full extent of Audi's expertise. Groundbreaking innovations can be found in the control of the valves and their lift, the thermal management concept, the injection system, the turbocharger and the integration of the exhaust manifold. In the Audi A5 Coupé, the high-end four-cylinder unit consumes on average just 5.7 liters of fuel per 100 km (41.27 US mpg). This best-in-class value corresponds to 134 grams CO2 per km (215.65 g/mile) and is 21 percent lower than before. With 125 kW (170 hp), the 1.8 TFSI accelerates the A5 powerfully.

The output of the 2.0 TFSI remains unchanged at 155 kW (211 hp). New to the Audi A5 lineup is the 3.0 TFSI, a supercharged V6 producing 200 kW (272 hp).

The diesel engines are also impressively efficient, and the four-cylinder units feature modifications in numerous areas. Equipped with the 130 kW (177 hp) 2.0 TDI and a manual transmission, the Audi A5 Coupé consumes on average just 4.7 liters of fuel per 100 km (50.05 US mpg) - a CO2 equivalent of 122 g per km (196.34 g/mile) and a milestone in the coupe segment.

Three V6 diesel units round out the lineup on the top end. The 3.0 TDI with 150 kW (204 hp) is the most fuel-efficient six-cylinder unit in its class worldwide. In the Audi A5 Coupé with multitronic, it consumes on average 4.9 liters (48 US mpg) of fuel and emits just 129 grams CO2 per km (207.61 g/mile). The second variant of the 3.0 TDI produces 180 kW (245 hp). Arriving somewhat later is a particularly low-emissions clean diesel model that will make the Audi A5 the first coupe on the market to meet the Euro 6 diesel standard.

Drivetrain

Audi offers the ideal drivetrain for each engine. A manual six-speed transmission and the continuously variable multitronic are available for models with front-wheel drive. The quattro models come with a manual transmission or the lightning-fast, seven-speed S tronic. All of the transmissions shine with their convenience and precision, high efficiency and wide gear spread. The long ratios in the upper gears reduce fuel consumption.

Members of the Audi A5 family equipped with quattro permanent all-wheel drive and the S tronic transmission also feature the crown-gear center differential with torque vectoring. During normal driving, the mechanical component sends the engine's power primarily to the rear wheels. If necessary, it redistributes the power lightning-fast and smoothly. Up to 70 percent can flow to the front axle, 85 percent to the rear axle. Torque vectoring uses targeted, minor braking interventions to make the handling even more precise.

Available as an option in all Audi A5 quattro models, the sport differential provides for maximum precision and high traction. It uses two superposition stages engaged via multi-plate clutches to actively distribute the torque between the rear wheels as needed.

Chassis

The Audi A5 models set standards for sporty dynamics, luxurious ride comfort and excellent driving safety. Most of the components of the five-link front suspension and the trapezoidal-link rear suspension are made of aluminum. The rear suspension bearings and the damper tuning have been updated for more precise handling and even greater comfort.

The ESP stabilization program with electronic limited slip differential is standard in all front-wheel drive versions of the Audi A5. ESP uses minimal braking interventions at the inside front wheel for even more agility during dynamic driving. The large brakes - with ventilated front and rear discs in many variants - offer excellent stopping power and are very easy to modulate.

17-inch wheels with 225/50 tires are standard. Options include wheels up to 20 inches and 265/30 tires as well as four new wheel designs.

Among the high-end features in the model series is Audi drive select. In the basic configuration, it adjusts the power steering boost, the accelerator characteristic, the shift points of the automatic transmission and the automatic air conditioning. Using a button in the cockpit, the driver can determine whether these components should work in "comfort," "auto," "dynamic" or "efficiency" mode. The latter helps to drive the Audi A5 particularly efficiently. If the car is equipped with a navigation system, there is also an "individual" mode that the driver can largely configure him or herself.

Audi drive select can be combined with additional modules, if desired. These are the sport suspension with damper control, the sport differential and dynamic steering, which steplessly varies the steering ratio by nearly 100 percent as a function of speed.

Another new standard feature in the Audi A5 model series is the electromechanical power steering. An electric motor generates the right amount of boost for the speed being driven. The electromechanical power steering features a direct ratio, reacts instantly and provides precise road feedback. It intervenes slightly to support the driver when braking on a surface with less grip on one side of the car.

The system reduces fuel consumption by up to 0.3 liters per 100 km and up to 7 g CO2/km (11.27 g/mile) because it consumes no energy at all while driving straight.

Assistance systems

The assistance systems in the Audi A5 model series use a variety of technologies to make driving even more controlled. Some of them have been improved with new functions. Among the standard features is the new driver information system with recommendations to take a break. It uses steering motions and additional parameters to detect when the driver is getting tired and issues an appropriate warning.

Audi side assist supports the driver when changing lanes by using radar to monitor the space behind the car. Audi active lane assist - a new feature in the Audi A5 - helps the driver to maintain the lane. A camera detects the lane markings and the system makes slight corrections to the electromechanical steering, if necessary. The adaptive cruise control uses radar technology to maintain a constant interval between the Audi A5 and the vehicle ahead. At speeds below 30 km/h (18.64 mph), it initiates maximum braking in the event of an impending collision.

Infotainment systems

The infotainment systems in the Audi A5 have been significantly upgraded. Audi equips all models in the A5 lineup with a CD radio and eight speakers.

The optional top-of-the-line unit is MMI navigation plus with a large hard drive, seven-inch color monitor, 3D graphics and DVD player. Its controls have been improved. The number of hard buttons has been reduced from eight to four and the volume control now features a joystick cap to make it easier to choose songs. Voice control and digital radio reception also received some fine-tuning.

An additional option is the Bluetooth online car phone. Audi connect is the catchword for the attractive services this phone brings to the A5, which include Google POI search, navigation with Google Earth images and a WLAN hotspot. The hotspot enables passengers to surf the Internet and send and receive e-mail with their mobile devices. Audi traffic information online is an additional service that does a much better job than the familiar TMC standard of providing the driver with extremely precise and current information about the traffic load along the selected route. All the driver needs to use these functions is a data-capable SIM card.

Prices

Despite the extensive product improvement, Audi is raising prices only slightly. The price increase for the Audi A5 Coupé 2.0 TFSI is only €200, for example. The base model, the Audi A5 Sportback 1.8 TFSI, costs €33,350.

The Audi S5

The top models in the series - the S5 as Sportback, Coupé and Cabriolet - have also been refreshed. All S5 models, including the Coupé, are now equipped with the 3.0 TFSI producing 245 kW (333 hp). Compared to the 4.2-liter V8 it replaces in the Coupé, the supercharged V6 consumes on average 20 percent less fuel per 100 kilometers. Average fuel consumption is just 8.1 liters (29.04 US mpg) while performance remains impressive. The S5 Coupé accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in just 4.9 seconds on its way to an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h (155.34 mph).

Visual cues to the updated S models include new lights, modified body details and new crystal-effect paint finishes. Subtle changes can also be found in the interior. The most important technical updates for the Audi S5 are quattro drive with the crown-gear center differential and electromechanical power steering. The special S sport suspension and the standard 18-inch wheels deliver the power to the road.

Warren is spot on with his comments about the S5 ,the supersports seats are imo the best seats Audi do and make the car feel really special .Which one of these is the car at Watford you are talking about?.
Vehicle View - Audi S5 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro 333PS Black Edition - Watford
Vehicle View - Audi S5 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro 333PS Black Edition - Watford

I've driven the Estoril Blue one as a test drive but the one I'm looking to buy is new and unregistered at the moment.

Reading all the details of the facelift makes me want to get all the extras :p I'll have to take a look at the lead times and decide... I'm thinking about resale value as well - all the extras will help me sell it at a good price if I wanted to.

Warren I read what you said about what I haven't driven I won't miss and you're right so I've gone most of the day thinking I will go for the one which is already built. Now you're changing my mind! 4 months is such a long time though! And if they don't do Estoril then I now think I'd get Sepang Blue... meaning another delay to the order too!

I think I've decided on the S5 vs the A5 TDI though. Think I will take the chance to own the S5 while I can! Good job on reassuring me guys :p

Did a 122 mile round trip to Heathrow yesterday - 50.4mpg in my BMW costing £14.86. It was all M11 and M25. According to my calculations, if I got 38mpg with the S5 on those roads (is it somehow doable on the motorway with barely any braking!?) then it would cost £18.82. Only £4 more. For that kind of money I would definitely go with the S5. It's London driving that would cost loads though.

Ok so the TDI is now officially out of the question. Now have to decide if I really want to lose drive select, dynamic steering, active damper and sports diff. That's a lot to lose but as I previously mentioned, I've not ever experienced the dynamic steering, active damper or sports diff. Plus no one I know has an S5 or is likely to own one lol

Time is ticking...

I did a 118 mile round trip in my current stage 2 S3 2.0T. Managed 34.6mpg-ish (I have to assume mapping will have skewed MPG read outs a bit). Same journey in S5 (borrowed from dealer to do comparison) delivered the following:

Way there (59 miles): economy mode, mostly circa 65mph I achieved 30.9 mpg (note A34 is hilly) trying really hard for economy!

Way back (59 miles): sport mode, mostly circa 80mph but with a few spirited accelerations I achieved 25.9mpg

The figures in the brochures are a total work of fiction. I'd rather be brutally honest with you than have you walk into a situation you didn't expect.

I did a 118 mile round trip in my current stage 2 S3 2.0T. Managed 34.6mpg-ish (I have to assume mapping will have skewed MPG read outs a bit). Same journey in S5 (borrowed from dealer to do comparison) delivered the following:

Way there (59 miles): economy mode, mostly circa 65mph I achieved 30.9 mpg (note A34 is hilly) trying really hard for economy!

Way back (59 miles): sport mode, mostly circa 80mph but with a few spirited accelerations I achieved 25.9mpg

The figures in the brochures are a total work of fiction. I'd rather be brutally honest with you than have you walk into a situation you didn't expect.

Hmm thanks Warren. That drive I just did wasn't really challenging in terms of elevation so I'll add maybe 2mpg to your total - lets say 33mpg for the sake of the discussion - cost would then be £20.86 so £6 higher. Then again if I had this car they have available now, there would be no drive select so I wouldn't be able to choose economy mode. (31mpg added a further £2 to the fuel total)

I guess its just one of those where you have to accept that fuel is going to cost what its going to cost. If you buy an S5 its not to make the numbers add up - its to put that smile on your face.

Last edited:
I guess its just one of those where you have to accept that fuel is going to cost what its going to cost. If you buy an S5 its not to make the numbers add up - its to put that smile on your face.

True, if you plan your journeys carefully, don't do unnecessary journeys locally (walk or bike it), you can make most of it back. I hire a car from Enterprise for long commutes (I can end up working pretty much anywhere), then will use the S5 for Euro road trips / weekend mileage / weekly shop. I work from home quite a bit so don't do a daily commute, but when I use enterprise cars there is no mileage cap, and no wear & tear (and as I hire mid size diesel it cuts fuel costs). Also driving a **** box on odd occasions during the week makes personal vehicle feel special rather than the norm.

Hmm I see your points. I do agree but personally, if I'm spending this much money on a car, I intend to enjoy it by driving it. Unless I somehow find a way to keep both the BMW and the Audi. My work commute is a 6 mile round trip but I'd still very much prefer to drive it than walk.

Hiring a car would be an alternative for longer drives though - but when I've looked into car hire in the past, I've found that costs are really high.

Are you going to take the SMART protection and the Wheel and Key insurance? I'm definitely taking the gap insurance and skipping the Supaguard.

I'll get independent gap insurance (unless Audi choose to price match it ). The rest I'm not bothered about as I'm not convinced the company they use will do a good job of diamond cutting wheels if they need refurb. Would rather use Prestige in Milton Keynes. Most of the bolt on services are just money spinners for the dealers to skank extra profit. In 7 years I've never used any of what I've paid for to date. I'm getting car professionally detailed after collection, not even letting them wash it!

I'll get independent gap insurance (unless Audi choose to price match it ). The rest I'm not bothered about as I'm not convinced the company they use will do a good job of diamond cutting wheels if they need refurb. Would rather use Prestige in Milton Keynes. Most of the bolt on services are just money spinners for the dealers to skank extra profit. In 7 years I've never used any of what I've paid for to date. I'm getting car professionally detailed after collection, not even letting them wash it!

Yeah I was going to try and get them to price match the GAP insurance. I've used smart repair on my BMW and it has been useful - cheaper than what London bodyshops charge. In this instance, what Audi covers in their policy is a better deal than buying it separately. They don't cover alloys though which is a nuisance - then again neither does my existing smart insurance (which I took out after mine expired). I guess I can always just take out a policy when I need the work to be done!

The tyre and key insurance is interesting because one tyre on the S5 is £250. For £549 for 3 years that covers 5 tyres every year. I've been unfortunate with nails in my tyres on too many occasions.

I'm tempted to just give it a good wax sealant myself once picking it up though I know I won't do as good a job as a professional detailer. For me its part of the fun. But on a brand new car with this kind of finish I may make an appointment with a detailer.

The reason I'm even considering any of these extras that Audi are offering is that I know they make a lot of money from them and if I take one or two of them then they are more likely to drop the price of the car by the massive £8k that I'm going to ask for!

Dealers have an allowance per month to discount, and dealer contributions are also a way of topping up. I used a drive the deal price to compare against and my dealer nearly matched it. I didn't get £8k off though, more like £6.5k, but I am a returning (on third S car ) customer.

Best bet is whatever makes you feel comfortable, but as I have cash in the bank for the eventualities I'm happy to pay if the worst happens (and carry the risk) rather than pay if it doesn't.

Dealers have an allowance per month to discount, and dealer contributions are also a way of topping up. I used a drive the deal price to compare against and my dealer nearly matched it. I didn't get £8k off though, more like £6.5k, but I am a returning (on third S car ) customer.

Best bet is whatever makes you feel comfortable, but as I have cash in the bank for the eventualities I'm happy to pay if the worst happens (and carry the risk) rather than pay if it doesn't.

I'm going in with OrangeWheels quotes. Aiming to get £5.5k off the price to match OrangeWheels, then theres the £2k Audi Solutions and £2k dealership contribution but I'm going to push them for £3k contribution. Total discount: £10.5k hopefully.

Will let you know how I get on. I don't expect to get it all tbh. Watford Audi is a massive dealership - they sell 500 cars or something a month apparently so they can afford to let a car go cheaply for once. They easily meet their sales quota to get their bonuses from Audi UK.

Warren does a better job than the sales guy at Audi for convincing me to buy an s5 v6T!
I'm just waiting for a small drop in price as I don't want to sell my m3, I know its sad but I love it and its feel when I push the straight six to limits...... I'll end up going for the s5 / s4 v6t then straight to revo for a tweak . As above great all round engine the v6T

Sean

Sean you could always go for the RS5 ;)

Thanks everyone for the advice by the way

I am pleased to report back that I am now the proud owner of an Estoril Blue S5 Sportback! :D

As promised, details of the deal:

£6750 discount off new car price.
£2000 over the part exchange market value of my car.
Gap insurance reduced to £350 instead of £599
And I think one or two other little things as well as a full tank of fuel.

Salesman said he was shocked that I managed to get the business manager to approve such a deal lol.

I went for the one on the forecourt in the end. Pick up might be as early as Saturday!

Reactions: Shrek5, s33nyboy12, DAYTONA 500 and 3 others
Good man, glad you thought it was worth the punt! Look forward to seeing pics . Mine will be built end of next week so not long till I'll be joining you!

Thanks guys! Looking forward to collection day! Pictures as soon as possible, trust me :p

Sean you could always go for the RS5 ;)

Thanks everyone for the advice by the way

Lol.... Mate if I could afford an rs5 I wouldn't be on this forum I'd be out driving it all the time grinning ear to ear !

Well done on the deal mate too, sounds like you did alright there. Great colour choice.

Sean

Reactions: AdamZA
Picked her up today... One word... WOW! Still getting used to the steering as it's very different from my BMW. I've made sure to hide the mpg indicator lol. Pictures tomorrow if I get the chance!

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, kanecullen89 and warren_S5
Picked her up today... One word... WOW! Still getting used to the steering as it's very different from my BMW. I've made sure to hide the mpg indicator lol. Pictures tomorrow if I get the chance!

We need pics!