What do people think?

S3 AEX

Reaction score
I bumped my car other day (gutted) and this is the result... Do you guys think it's likely to be wrote off? I'm now think wether I want it repaired any way an just rather they wrote it off! I'm gutted, can't believe it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857649697533ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857660746222ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857668646235ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857677179570ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857683379997ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857690930476ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857696863161ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857704845182 to me it seems like new bumper, grill, headlight, wing, bonnet, alloy, tyre, rear bumper also damage to underneath of car. The damage to the inner part of the wing looks really twisted!

Last edited:
Sorry about pics not the best, it's a 2008yr S3. Underneath the car it seems the metal cover on the tank has been ripped off damage to exhaust and the metal cover behind rear break disc has been snapped.

Hmm looks nasty hope u ok it all depends if the cost to repair is more than the value of the car if so then it looks like a write off :-(

It's hard to tell by looking at photos but damage looks cosmetic, ie no structural damage. Having said that it may well be considered a total loss due to being an uneconomical repair. This could work to your advantage though as the insurance company, once settlement has been agreed, often give you the option to purchase the salvage for a knock down price.

Hmm looks nasty hope u ok it all depends if the cost to repair is more than the value of the car if so then it looks like a write off :-(

Cheers rob I'm fine apart from my eyes hurting every time I look out of the window an see my cars not there, I'm gutted. One thing I now know is these cars can take a real whack with out the bags deploying, but it's not something I want to come accustomed to :/

It's hard to tell by looking at photos but damage looks cosmetic, ie no structural damage. Having said that it may well be considered a total loss due to being an uneconomical repair. This could work to your advantage though as the insurance company, once settlement has been agreed, often give you the option to purchase the salvage for a knock down price.

I'm hoping it's not structural but I couldn't really tell, is uneconomical when the value of repair exceeds 50-60% of the cars value? If option to buy back come about I'd seriously consider it, if not to repair it then strip it down. Guess after the weekend I'll find out, will keep you posted!

I think the 60% rule only applies to cars that are less than 2 years old. Dredged that up from the bowels of my memory bank so could be wrong.

Trying to put a positive on a negative, a few years back one of my neighbours pranged my parked car, an old Honda that I paid £1000 for. Damage consisted of a broken sidelight, dented wing, bumper and burst washer bottle. Looked a bit of a mess but drove fine. Was offered £1350 as uneconomical repair, bit their hand off, and then they asked if I wanted to buy the salvage, ie the car, for £50. I accepted their kind offer, spent £30 at the local scrapy and was back on the road.

Unbelievably the same car was hit again at my wife's work about 6 months later. Total loss no.2, £950 settlement that time for a dented door and wing but drove it for another 2 years!!! I Looked like the sole survivor from the banger races by the time I eventually sold it for £200 but it still went like a train. Only car I have ever made money on. I loved that car.

Last edited:
"Bump"?! Blimey what did you do?!
I hope you can sort it buddy. Can't remember the ins and outs but my first VR was smashed up big time and the Bodyshop secured a "contract repair", to avoid the car getting written off. Might be worth looking into.

"Bump"?! Blimey what did you do?!
I hope you can sort it buddy. Can't remember the ins and outs but my first VR was smashed up big time and the Bodyshop secured a "contract repair", to avoid the car getting written off. Might be worth looking into.

Ye I may look into that. I swerved to avoid something in the road I wasn't even sure what it was, one person said it looked like a badger? Should've just maimed it, as I've swerved I clipped kirb which blew my tyre then it was a choice of hitting another car or a bollard an street sign. I chose the latter, less hassle than if I'd hit the car to be honest!

Blimey mate! You're only supposed to drive it like you stole it if you really did steal it.

😪

should really cost you much i would say £1500 all up just get used parts for the cosmetics and have them painted.. and sort the rear out it is an 07 model so parts should be cheap

My A3 had similar damage, even my washer fluid bottle got pierced by the wing. The total repair was 4500 and I don't think my 55 plate A3 was worth that so was surprised at not being a write off

just check ebay and tally the total cost of the parts a fender is around £80 the grill probably £100 same for the headlight and the bumper maybe £200-300 a bonnet can be found for say £100-150 painting should go more then £500 and the rest should be enough for the rear on a £1500 budget i hope.. you can also always get a used cat back in good condition plenty around just make sure its got no holes or rust.

I've seen worse get repaired, insurance company will probs write it off as cat D, I'd buy back and get it repaired! As long as there isn't any major structural or engine damage

It's been took by first car clinic so I'll wait to here what insurance say, if it gets classed as cat D I'd rather just take my money an go get another to be honest. I can't be bothered with the getting it all fixed.