New Tyres Ordered

squiretolley

Reaction score
After much deliberating and research I have ordered 4 new tyres for my 2.0TDI Sportback s-line. The Conti's have been pretty good to be fair and there's still about 4-5mm on the rears and 3-4mm on the fronts (although swapped them around recently) having covered 21k miles.

I was pretty sure I would order the Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY2 or Dunlop Sportmaxx RT, but I've thrown a total swerve ball and ordered Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's. They're classed as an ultra high performance summer tyre on a similar level to Pilot Super Sports. The best bit is they've cost me £340 + £40 fitting for all 4, which I think is an absolute bargain. Ordered from Jungle Tyres and having them fitted tomorrow at my local tyre fitters.

I challenge you to find a bad review on these tyres anywhere on the internet. Auto Express are a little indifferent, but still pretty good but I think their tests are a load of s**t anyway. Tyrereviews.co.uk rate them highly and so do many other forums.

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti | the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

Details - Vredestein

I'm planning on selling my Conti's on ebay as part worns, so should hopefully recoup a £100ish. If anyone's interested in them BTW them send me a PM. Not sure the exact tread on them, but will measure tomorrow once they're off the car.

I'll try and update this thread regularly.

Jeeeeeeeeeees ... that is virtually HALF the price of the Conti's fitted !!!

Look forward to hearing from you as to what they are like.

I bought x 4 Sportmaxx for £405 all in 225/18's for old 8P in December. Goodyear same price. Some cracking offers at present.

Look forward to hearing how you get on but never really considered Vredestein as similar to Michelin Pilots!!

I challenge you to find a bad review on these tyres anywhere on the internet. Auto Express are a little indifferent, but still pretty good but I think their tests are a load of s**t anyway. Tyrereviews.co.uk rate them highly and so do many other forums.

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti | the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

Details - Vredestein

I love a challenge, so challenge accepted

The link you provided in Tyrereviews actually helped considerably ;-)

I mean the tests this tyre has been in (5 tests that Tyre reviews have shown) the tyre has come 5th at the best , so surely there is room for improvement and I wouldn't put them on a similar level to MPSS tbh.

The Evo 2012 Summer test was an interesting read - these two sections practically;

2012 EVO Summer Tyre Test - TyreReviews

"Wet: Over 2 seconds behind the Pirelli, the Vredestein struggled with lateral G in the wet handling. Subjectively a little better, the tyre could only manage seventh in the wet braking test and scored poorly in the aquaplaning tests too
Subjective: The Ultrac Vorti also scored poorly on the road route. Although the tyre offered positive clear steering, it came at the expense of ride quality"

I won't include the Auto Express review as you don't like their tests.

The initial % on Tyre Reviews have to be taken with a pinch of salt as they are all from buyers and current users of the tyres....each of us have different experience of tyres and expectations from the price we pay. I always look at the places they rate against other tyres- not what some bloke thinks they're like on his Ford Galaxy and the like :laugh:

If you are interested in getting rid of your conti's then a size could be helpful for those that are interested....same with the price you paid at £380 all in; were they 17s or 18s?

Be interested to see how long they last and if you experience any increase in sounds- and that's also what the reviews were saying. Not a great wear rate or sound/road comfort.

I inherited 4 Vredestein when I bought my A4 cab.

After my first drive on a wet road all 4 were changed for Dunlop Sportmaxx - a great all rounder tyre.

Really didn't like the Vredesteins at all and they aquaplaned better than a few boats I've been in and spun up with ease.

They are a cheaper alternative to the mainstream brands, which should tell you something.

I inherited 4 Vredestein when I bought my A4 cab.

After my first drive on a wet road all 4 were changed for Dunlop Sportmaxx - a great all rounder tyre.

Really didn't like the Vredesteins at all and they aquaplaned better than a few boats I've been in and spun up with ease.

They are a cheaper alternative to the mainstream brands, which should tell you something.

Which model were they Dan? The Vorti's are supposed to be the best they produce (according to reviews).

I love a challenge, so challenge accepted

The link you provided in Tyrereviews actually helped considerably ;-)

I mean the tests this tyre has been in (5 tests that Tyre reviews have shown) the tyre has come 5th at the best , so surely there is room for improvement and I wouldn't put them on a similar level to MPSS tbh.

The Evo 2012 Summer test was an interesting read - these two sections practically;

2012 EVO Summer Tyre Test - TyreReviews

"Wet: Over 2 seconds behind the Pirelli, the Vredestein struggled with lateral G in the wet handling. Subjectively a little better, the tyre could only manage seventh in the wet braking test and scored poorly in the aquaplaning tests too
Subjective: The Ultrac Vorti also scored poorly on the road route. Although the tyre offered positive clear steering, it came at the expense of ride quality"

I won't include the Auto Express review as you don't like their tests.

The initial % on Tyre Reviews have to be taken with a pinch of salt as they are all from buyers and current users of the tyres....each of us have different experience of tyres and expectations from the price we pay. I always look at the places they rate against other tyres- not what some bloke thinks they're like on his Ford Galaxy and the like :laugh:

If you are interested in getting rid of your conti's then a size could be helpful for those that are interested....same with the price you paid at £380 all in; were they 17s or 18s?

Be interested to see how long they last and if you experience any increase in sounds- and that's also what the reviews were saying. Not a great wear rate or sound/road comfort.

Thanks for picking up all of the negatives! Personally I hold reviews from real people in higher esteem than people working for the likes of Evo, Auto Express etc. Real world usage is more relevant than tearing around a track for a few laps.

I could quite easily put a whole list of positive reviews up here from real world users ranging from Audi, BMW, Aston Martin drivers etc.

Incidentally there are plenty of negative reviews out there for the ASY2, Sportmaxx RT and all of the other premium brand tyres.

225/40/18 92Y is anyone's interested. But I'd expect most s-line owners know what size tyres they need without me confirming!

Had a set on my last motor. Admittedly only a Focus but they were a great tyre. Wouldn't hesitate buying another set.

Had a set on my last motor. Admittedly only a Focus but they were a great tyre. Wouldn't hesitate buying another set.

I was starting to think I was going crazy! Thanks. From what I've read people swear by them and they become a tyre brand for life.

In the past I've used Pirelli, Goodyear, Michelin, Avon, Falken, Kumho etc etc having gone through about 20 sets of tyres. The best to date have probably been the Falkens I had on my mk5 Golf, which is supposedly a mid-range/premium budget tyre! I personally think the so called premium brands are a total rip off.

I may live to regret the decision to go with the Vredesteins, but if you don't try you'll never know.

After much deliberating and research I have ordered 4 new tyres for my 2.0TDI Sportback s-line. The Conti's have been pretty good to be fair and there's still about 4-5mm on the rears and 3-4mm on the fronts (although swapped them around recently) having covered 21k miles.

I was pretty sure I would order the Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY2 or Dunlop Sportmaxx RT, but I've thrown a total swerve ball and ordered Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's. They're classed as an ultra high performance summer tyre on a similar level to Pilot Super Sports. The best bit is they've cost me £340 + £40 fitting for all 4, which I think is an absolute bargain. Ordered from Jungle Tyres and having them fitted tomorrow at my local tyre fitters.

Details - Vredestein

I'm planning on selling my Conti's on ebay as part worns, so should hopefully recoup a £100ish. If anyone's interested in them BTW them send me a PM. Not sure the exact tread on them, but will measure tomorrow once they're off the car.

I'll try and update this thread regularly.

Admittedly I made a mistake comparing them to the Pilot Super Sports, but apparently a lot of people say they are on a par with the PS2/PS3.

Buying tyres is always difficult. But a new sofa and all can see you have a new sofa. Tyres are a bit of a let down as probably only you/the driver even notice!

For my 2p I always try to review performance vs cost but in the big scheme of things tend to go premium brand. Michelin would be my first choice but costly and last time bought Dunlop maxx as car was being sold and they were pretty good.

If you try to Px a fairly new Audi at a dealer they expect fitment of premium tyres . Not sure you would achieve best Px price with Vreds as main dealer may have to replace with a premium brand to sell. Just a thought!

I went from CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 3 (£150 each) on my A1 to Falken - ZE914 (£85). I prefer the Falken's... quieter and the same amount of grip as the Conti's in my opinion. Not had the chance to drive like a boat with them but in the rain they're pretty decent.

I wonder what tyres I'll have when I get my A3 on Friday? :yahoo:

If you try to Px a fairly new Audi at a dealer they expect fitment of premium tyres . Not sure you would achieve best Px price with Vreds as main dealer may have to replace with a premium brand to sell. Just a thought!

Depends what you regard as Premium Tyres. The 8P that I've just traded-in had Hankook Ventus S1 Evo tyres which I would assume are not a normal Premium brand but they were the same tyres as were fitted at the factory.

My dealer gave me the trade-in price for my car without checking what tyres were fitted.

They were good tyres, no problem with grip in the wet or dry and very quiet. Depending on what tyres my new 8V came on I had budgeted to change all four tyres to either the same Hankooks or Dunlop MAXX RTs. As it happened the 8V came fitted with the Dunlops so no need to change.

Last edited:
Vreds are considered a premium tyre, more so on the continent than here though. Clearly not on the same level as the usual suspects. Anyway I have no intention of p/x it anytime soon.

Hancook are fitted as standard to more docile VAG products,

Hancook are fitted as standard to more docile VAG products,

Lol.

BTW I am a bit worried about getting Conti's on my S3 when it comes (think I have dreamt ordering it some days). Has any of the S3 owners seriously considered changing them soon after you got your car or are you waiting until you need to change?

I had Vredestein Ultrac sessantas on my 19" BBS wheels on my Scirocco,I bought them new not as a cheap tyre or a standby.I bought them because in reviews and recommendations by real users they came back with glowing results.I concur wholeheartedly and would recommend them to anyone.They were great in the dry giving tremendous feedback on how the car was actually handling.In the wet they were every bit as good as the Michelins I have had previously.You will also find they wear really well mine had almost 6mm of tread left after one year and 5k miles.Some Audis come with Hankooks now and I would rate the Vredesteins much higher than them.:cool:

I've got Contis and as a. 'Fussy ******' have found them ok so far.

Iv had sportmaxx rt and now I'm running Vredestein vorti. I found the sportmaxx rt a fantastic tyre in all conditions and very quiet BUT they wear very fast and I had under 4mm after 8k.
The vorti is a fantastic tyre, same grip wet and dry as the rt and a little bit more road noise but they wear a lot less.
I read the reviews as yourself which made me choose the vorti.
I wasn't disappointed :)

Thanks guys, I'm breathing a sigh of relief now! Having them fitted tomorrow so will report back once they're run in.