Adhesive offset number plate

Muzza80

Reaction score
I'm just weighing up ideas here but after fitting the RS3 front grille I cant help thinking how much better it would look without a number plate covering most of it up....

3_zpscfc3a5f0.jpg~original

So as I've got my private reg finally off my old car I'm needing to order up new plates and got thinking about a stick on one for the front, I reckon it would go nicely under the passenger side below the headlight/headlight washer like the Evo X, I would have it make as short as possible while still remaining legal though so much shorter than the below.

1382383818_15_IS_6194_0.jpg

Custom Number Plates - Stick On - Reflective / DMB Graphics Ltd

Thoughts?

Mines actually 6 digits but one is a "1" so yes still very small.

I'll order one up and try it for size, even a proper short plate (rather than stick on) might look good offset, just how to mount it to the bumper securely but not leaving any trace if I change my mind.... hmm.

Someone made short metal ones, that can be made to curve the bumper.I use window installers double backed adhesive strip.Sticks like ****e to a blanket.

I've ordered it anyway so we will see, no biggie if not was only £13

I was toying with this idea would love to see how it turns out hurry hurry hurry :jump:

Be interesting to see how this 1 turns out Muzza... Theres been a lot of ideas thrown around on the same subject and no-one really has been able to pull it off quite convincingly yet, in a manner that looks really good..

even seen the 1 guy, cutting up his tow eye and then putting the reg on that... Fail!

Thoughts?

I'm still thinking a short plain plate in the centre of that Evo would have looked better than that.... I did some digging into short plates when I was doing my own.... Studyed the dvla website and as far as I could tell the only standards that would apply to making the plate legal were

Font
Letter size and spacing
Manufacturers postcode waterstamp
And showing the BS no.

Apart from that, there was no set limits as to how long or short your plates could go..... Someone might correct me on this, but I read that page very carefully incase I have a brush with the law on mine....

I've only got 5 characters on mine, got the plates done with a clear watermark... Still visible up close, and made them bring the BS no. In with the smallest letter size they could go... Been running them a couple if months now with no issues..

Nowt wrong with short plates as long as the correct spacing is there between the letters and around the edge and it has the BS stuff with suppliers podstcode.

Not sold on the idea myself, think it looks too lob sided with the numberplate not in the middle.

Just take the plate off and stick in windscreen and if any coppers ask, it fell off.

Reactions: y2kcurran
Not sold on the idea myself, think it looks too lob sided with the numberplate not in the middle.

Just take the plate off and stick in windscreen and if any coppers ask, it fell off.

You'd have to leave the remains of the sticky tape where it fell from.........:lmfao:

Plates must face forward and be upright; the Alfas have a plinth behind them to make them legal.

Why would one want to draw unnecessary attention from the BiB?

I'm still thinking a short plain plate in the centre of that Evo would have looked better than that.... I did some digging into short plates when I was doing my own.... Studyed the dvla website and as far as I could tell the only standards that would apply to making the plate legal were

Font
Letter size and spacing
And showing the BS no.

Apart from that, there was no set limits as to how long or short your plates could go..... Someone might correct me on this, but I read that page very carefully incase I have a brush with the law on mine....

I've only got 5 characters on mine, got the plates done with a clear watermark... Still visible up close, and made them bring the BS no. In with the smallest letter size they could go... Been running them a couple if months now with no issues..

Where did you purchase these from? Sound exactly like what I'm after for my 5 character plate!

That looks good on the TT, and yours will be shorter.

Reactions: Muzza80
Nowt wrong with short plates as long as the correct spacing is there between the letters and around the edge and it has the BS stuff with suppliers podstcode.

I would look into the legality of an offset plate. If memory serves me correct there was a version of the Evo where the import had an offset plate and the UK version had it centred. Some Evo drivers with UK versions moved their plates and fell foul of the law as the UK front bumper was designed to have a centre mounted plate. Even UK cars with imported bumpers were being pulled as their UK cars should have had UK spec bumpers and hence centre mounted plates.

I remember reading it on here or some other car forum so it must be true!

Chances of being pulled will depend on the local plod - personally, I'm not a fan of the look on an Audi (looks good on that Evo but not on the TT) but each to their own.

Here's a TTRS with one

P1000934.jpg

P1000939.jpg

No likey that's wrong looks weird, same with Evo's one reason I havent owned one lol.
I am regist at the dvla as a plate maker but dont make them anymore due to the hassle still have all the kit, dont f@ark with the font or spacing, make sure it has bsau mark and postcode and all good, best I have seen was a mk5 GTI he cut the orig backing plate down to 5 dig plate size plastic welded then wrapped it gloss black to hide the weld left it in same pos as OEM.

Got the plate from DMB, great quality but need to wait for the DVLA to give me the ok to transfer my priv reg on to the car, also need to paint the crash bar too before fitting the new plate as it's easily seen through the grille at the moment.

Will update as soon as poss :)

Here's another alternative - not offset or adhesive though!The letters are cut out of the plate to allow air through to the intercooler etc...

S4WCP

I'll be doing it like the third picture there.

It's not an airflow thing, it's more just that I think the RS grille looks better with no plate on it but I'm not convinced the offset plate will look right either so only time will tell. Failing that I'll be fitting a short plate to the front without the standard plate holder.

Font
Letter size and spacing
And showing the BS no.

I had my plates made, im sure there like 11" x 3" or something
Never been stopped yet. as far as im aware as long as font is correct height, font and spacing, and there is an 11mm gap around outside of plate, youre fine!

grey area it seems to be though.