A3 1.8 TFSI engine noise

andywil13

Reaction score
Does anyone with the A3 1.8 TFSI engine have a rattle type sound coming from the engine from around 1500 to 3000 rpm up till you hit around 40mph?

I'm collecting my car from Audi tomorrow after the have looked at it and described it as a "characteristic" of the car.

It's actually more noticeable if someone else drives the away from you.

Any opinions? I will be asking to test drive another car which they claim will do the same thing.

I have a small vibration on my 2.0tdi at around 1000-2000rpm.

hi i have a fwd 1.8 tfsi stronic.

the only rattle i might hear from engine is if i'm doing a steepish hill climb at slow speed, which is prob a slight engine knock due to poor fuel over here.

and well the dsg 7 rattles like crazy over rough roads, but it seems to be a trait of the dry clutch setup as i have seen other mentions of it online as well as a couple youtube videos with the noise.

the only rattle i might hear from engine is if i'm doing a steepish hill climb at slow speed, which is prob a slight engine knock due to poor fuel over here.

and well the dsg 7 rattles like crazy over rough roads, but it seems to be a trait of the dry clutch setup as i have seen other mentions of it online as well as a couple youtube videos with the noise.

Can you post a couple of you tube links? Thanks

The engine has anti-knock, as well as variable ignition and valve timing, I'd be worried if my engine did what you describe...

Reactions: felsby
Yes I have it too and mine is not a knocking sound and exists on smooth-ish roads. It's a plinking noise somewhere between the sound of a twig in a bicycle spoke and a small stone in a (metallic) hubcap. Reminded me of the noise a jet engine makes when boarding a plane and the turbine fans are free spinning very slowly.

See also this thread; but skip the first few posts.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=212104

John.

Edit: Andy - just realised I linked to your previous posts on this.....

Try to fill the tank with premium fuel and see if it still does it.