aerial rubber seal

jpda4

Reaction score
dont know if this is the right place to put this

the rubber seal at the base of my aerial has finally split through

one of the many cracks has finally gone making it loose

been inside the rear of the car and removed the rear courtesy light
all is dry for now

is this going to be a b@st@rd to replace, as it looked like it would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

have i another visit to the stealers parts department or is there somewere else to solve this

thanks in advance

I replaced mine in the summer, not too difficult to do, just take it easy with the 'ceiling' trim.

This has also happened to mine. I assume it means buying a whole new arial base?

Clcollins, how much did you pay for a replacement?

Cheers

Just noticed my seal has also cracked !

Any feedback from someone who has replaced it ?

I'll have the whole aerial including base for sale in a couple of weeks. Not sure whether anyone would be interested?

Mark.

managed to get mine sorted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif
but cant say to much as dont know who reading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif
nice man in parts department

[ QUOTE ]
Have seen VAG Parts now do this!

VAG Part - Roof Aerial Repair Kit

Go to Product Overview - Audi - A3 up to 2003 - Electrical

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to Audi today to be asked what my chasis number was just to be able to order this part ???

As I wasnt in the Audi gave the normal look of dissapointment to the service/parts guy and walked away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

Got home and ordered it from VAG parts and will let you know how I get on .

Any hints on the task would be appreciated.

I also ordered the repair kit from VAG parts. It came today so I started to take the car to bits...

Getting the base off is a little tricky cause the ariel wire is clipped to the chassis. These clips are a pain to remove cause you are working through the hole for the interior light.

Once you free the cable you will see a plug on the end so you can split the whole assembly away from the car.

This is where it went pear shaped for me. The part that VAG parts sent doesn't fit my ariel base at all. (When I ordered I was assured that it would, as long as it was a standard ariel not a satnav type). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I have now made the decision to bite the bullet and go to audi and get the propper parts.

This is the first order I have placed with VAG parts and I must say I am not impressed!

If you call VAG Parts they will help... they sent me the wrong part once so sent the correct part straight away. They also probably have more knowledge of Audi parts than the local idiot at a dealer so I would at the very least let them know it doesn't fit your car.

yeah will phone them in the morning to let them know.

i just dont want to take any chances with this seal as it will go on and then be out of sight. dont want a headliner full of water one morning!

[ QUOTE ]
I also ordered the repair kit from VAG parts. It came today so I started to take the car to bits...

Getting the base off is a little tricky cause the ariel wire is clipped to the chassis. These clips are a pain to remove cause you are working through the hole for the interior light.

Once you free the cable you will see a plug on the end so you can split the whole assembly away from the car.

This is where it went pear shaped for me. The part that VAG parts sent doesn't fit my ariel base at all. (When I ordered I was assured that it would, as long as it was a standard ariel not a satnav type). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I have now made the decision to bite the bullet and go to audi and get the propper parts.

This is the first order I have placed with VAG parts and I must say I am not impressed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Got round to sorting mine out this morning and had a slightly better experience.

Rear interior light clips out and then remove wiring cable.

Base of ariel is now visible with one nut on it which came of nice and easy.

Ariel base is now free from roof after looking at the existing broken seal could see that I would have to cut it off or take apart the ariel base (Cut if off !!!)

seal.jpg

The VAG part is just an oval seal without the centre moulding and initially I thought I had the wrong part.

I just could'nt get it to fit properly , it annoyed me for ten minutes and being very impatient I even phoned Audi parts and asked about a replacement - whole unit available only £36 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Went back to it and used my brain for a change -

boiled the kettle, put the new seal into a bowl of said hot water and left for a couple of mins.

Bingo with a bit of teasing everything fitted nice and sweetly.

Ariel base fixing nut was easy to refit but I found it harder to gauge how tight to turn it so crossed my fingers and did a water test.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

So if I had done the boiling water bit first - 10/15 min job at the most.

Part from VAG with postage came to £15.76 so saved myself a few pennies and felt better having not given Audi money for a part that should'nt fail

glad to hear you sorted it mate.

i removed the whole base from the car and took it to bits...

inside the base are lots of electronic components on a wee PCB and the PCB on mine was corroded and knackered looking. went to audi and got a replacement at £30 and renewed the lot.

didn't like the look of the 'repair' kit I got from VAG parts so I didn't use it at all.

I've noticed a crack in the seal of my aerial, so I am keen to fix it - I think the radio's reception has already started to crackle/hiss/cut out.

The repair kit doesn't sound like the magic bullet I was hoping for. Should I just get one from the stealers or has anyone had success with the kit since the last post in this thread?

Cheers,

ICE

I didnt use the aerial repair kit i just bought a whole new base, which had been redesigned & is better than before. Conact VAG Pasts

Matt