Problem - Heater Blower

robert97r

Reaction score
Please can anyone suggest why the Heater Blower on my '98 A4 Tdi 110 Auto should work intermittantly ?
HVAC panel responds to buttons, A/C compressor cuts in and out, Fan speed Bar indicator operates but no blow ! Fuse checks out ok.
This first happened a few weeks ago, malfunctioned for 3 days then was ok - until today.
Could there be a sensor that is inhibiting the Blower ?
Lots of questions ...... Robert.

Probably the fan motor, they can cost upwards of £200 from a stealer, however i have seen some new ones on Ebay for around £80.

They are a regular failiure, i am kinda watching and waiting for mine to stop,lol

One thing worth checking is your ignition barrel position !. I had a problem with mine a while back. Basically the ignition Barrel innards start to split and this loses electrical contacts which can stop things working. If your key does not spring back from the starter easily try backing it off gently to the ignition on position and the blowers may start working again, did with mine.

No it'll be the blower motor. The brushes wear out at around 90k miles (depending on use) which results in the intermittant behaviour. I had this a couple of years ago and tried to find replacement brushes, but you have to buy a complete unit. I could get mine to work for a week at a time by cleaning the brushes with wd40 but it would pack up again pretty rapidly.
I paid £180 for a brand new OEM Valeo unit part no. 8D2 820 021 from Audi4U, the stealer wanted £370 and it's not even Audi branded! There's no point going secondhand or scrappy as you'll get the same problem again.

as andymac says, mine was doing exactly the same about a month ago, however there is a way to make the brushes last a bit longer.

you will notice that the way the brushes are pushed in that the spring limits how far they can go down by putting tension on the wire part of it, if you fiddle the wire part of the brush into the spring it lets the brushes sink down another couple of mm, should last a few more thousand miles doing that. mine has been fine ever since and has given me some more time to find replacement brushes rather than fork out for a new motor.

Thanks Guys, the Motor Brush suggestion sounds to be exactly right, (why didn't I think of it !) because it's working again this morning. (and the car has done 190K)
This weekend I will remove, dismantle and hopefully identify suitable replacement brushes from an alternative donor then will post details for the common good - fingers crossed.
Thanks again, this is a great community.
Robert.

Well here's my 2 penneth - See above (Hee Hee) - Exactly what thjey say - Mine had exactly the same symptoms as yours last year and ended up replacing the blower...... didn't waste my time with a second hand one or the brushes as in the long run, I would need a new one anyway....

The blower's easy to get to. Just remove the glovebox then it's the Black Valeo thing right in front of you. I had to remove a bracket in order to actually remove the thing, but it's just 3 or 4 screws and it's out.
A4Blowermotor.jpg

Conclusion .........

Removed and dismantled Motor as instructed by AndyMac and Kris.
Unable to find replacement Brushes .
Because there was c.4mm of carbom remaining, packed out compression Springs to compensate for wear and all is now OK - - for a period.
When a new unit is required Europarts (www.eurocarparts.com) quoted £99
+VAT for a Valeo oem part.

Thanks guys,

Robert.