What is the recomended engine oil for S3 please

daztenerife

Reaction score
is it 10-40 or 0-40.
Is castrol RS ok, They make 2 variations of it.

ONLY VW 503.01 spec
on an S3 on AVS.

even Audi have it in bold in the manual.

It should say the spec on the back of the bottle.

Mobil 1 0-40 or Castrol SLX (not SLX2) are the favourites! Both 503.01.

Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
ONLY VW 503.01 spec
on an S3 on AVS.

even Audi have it in bold in the manual.

It should say the spec on the back of the bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Morning all,

What is vw 503.01 ??!!

Does the S3 have an oil sensor that tells you when the oil is low??? If so, does anyone rely on this instead of checking oil???

Is the S3 known for losing any oil at all ??

Cheers.
Yans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

I have posted this a number of times now - you should be able to find it by doing a search of the forum (try searching the S3 forum for "oil" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Anyway, see here for a list of 503.01 approved oils.

@Yans, VW503.01 is a VAG oil spec.

vw503.01 is an oil specificaton.

it should be written on the bottle, of any oil you use for the s3 on avs servicing.

yes ther is a low warning, but dont rely on it, its notoriously late in its operation.

some s3's use alot of oil, some dont.

"Does the S3 have an oil sensor that tells you when the oil is low??? If so, does anyone rely on this instead of checking oil???"

i`d never rely on this in any car in my view if the light comes on then the damage is done.

sorry for repeating but, my question is that if mine is a little low and i have only just bought the car what do i put in it???? i dont want to cause damage!! help!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As dickyS3 says just use Mobil 1 or Castrol Formula SLX ...both available at halfords both accord to 503.01 spec....don't rely on low oil check light...regularly check you oil to make sure its in the band. Also don't use Formula SLX II as this is not rated for high performance engines like that used in the S3...and quite often dealers put the giveaway 1 litre bottle of this stuff in S3 cars even though it shouldn't be used......

Reactions: JameS3rizzle
I've started using Shell Helix Ultra - it's 503.01 approved AND I get PlusPoints on it.

Reactions: Y7SGP
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was running low on oil at the weekend and thankfully topped up with Castrol SLX (503.01).

Since topping up, I have noticed an increase in fuel economy!

[/ QUOTE ]

You did put the oil in the engine and not in the fuel tank? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha... seriously though... the Low Oil warning light came on and the engine took a whole litre of oil to get it to maximum again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Yeah the warning light doesn't come on until its very low. Keep a constant check on the oil levels to be on the safe side.

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah the warning light doesn't come on until its very low. Keep a constant check on the oil levels to be on the safe side.

Cheers
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not kidding... checking fluids is now going to be part of my weekly routine!

[ QUOTE ]
S3 SLX the one to use but from VAG as it is cheaper than Halfords.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or buy Mobil1 for even cheaper!

[ QUOTE ]
Or buy Mobil1 for even cheaper!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, or buy Shell Helix Ultra and get extra PlusPoints.

Well, according to the information that I recieved from Fuchs back in January 2005, these debates could be solved by one product that covers the new 504.00 and 507.00 specs.

Here is some info, I'm waiting for further clarification.

TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE III SAE 5W-30

In addition to our previous AIS TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE III SAE 5W-30 approved by VW 504 00 and 507 00 we would like to give the following supplements.

We would like to point out, that our new product covers all of the
following VW-Specifications :
- (VW 500 00)
- (VW 501 00)
- VW 501 01 - VW 505 00
- VW 502 00 - VW 505 01
- VW 503 00 - VW 506 00
- VW 503 01 - VW 506 01

Exception to this rule:
For engines R5 TDI (2,5 L) and V10 TDI (5,0L) only the current VW 506 01 (TITAN Supersyn SL Longlife Plus 0W-30) is applicable.
Conclusion:

Our TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE III SAE 5W-30 is the ideal product for
rationalization in your range of products.

The 504.00 spec will cover both 503.00 and 503.01 specs as I understand it.

Will post more when I know but this product has already been approved by VW and I've seen the German Approval documents.

Cheers
Simon

All oils are rated by API rating, the higher the letter the better the oil quality, all car manufacturers have their reccomended brands most of which only come in 1 litre bottles and at more cost. The case with mine and most S3's is common and a litre of oil will in fact last you only 600-1000 miles so the life cycle of the oil isn't long anyway. You have to ask yourself why a specific oil is reccomened and on what credits when all oils are tested before production. I get my car serviced every 10k and dont seem to have any probs.

Doing an oil change this weekend normally use Mobil 1 0w-40. Went down to halfords to pick some up but the back of the bottles says it doesn’t cover vw503.01 only vw502.00 and vw505.00. Would this be a problem if I still use Mobil 1?

What's the difference between VW 503 00 and VW 503 01? And which one is S3 approved?

i swapped to 5w-30 as per all new audis/vw and my S3 has stopped using oil, well a little but more like a normal car i.e. very little.

on 0w 40 i used 1/2 litre every 1-2k

Reactions: briner
rpadam: Yes ive just had the same problem with the Mobil 1 OW40 as it doesnt say 503.01 on the back anymore.

Although check this out as it says ExxonMobil says its compatible with VW503.01:

Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5L

Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

Si I needed an oil topup and ive called allparts and had a nice discussion about this over the phone. (also managed to get them down on their price to match that of the websites which was very nice of them.

Once i got there, another lad who had a special interest in audi S3's said he would recommend this oil, and that yes they did change the name but its going to be fine and could even improve fuel economy very slightly over a longer period....

So ive bought it....and ill keep you guys informed (currently getting 34 MPG) on a 2002 audi s3 8L 225 BAM

Reactions: Roadtrain
rpadam: Yes ive just had the same problem with the Mobil 1 OW40 as it doesnt say 503.01 on the back anymore.

Although check this out as it says ExxonMobil says its compatible with VW503.01:

Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5L

Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

Si I needed an oil topup and ive called allparts and had a nice discussion about this over the phone. (also managed to get them down on their price to match that of the websites which was very nice of them.

Once i got there, another lad who had a special interest in audi S3's said he would recommend this oil, and that yes they did change the name but its going to be fine and could even improve fuel economy very slightly over a longer period....

So ive bought it....and ill keep you guys informed (currently getting 34 MPG) on a 2002 audi s3 8L 225 BAM
What's the best oil for BAM engine nowdays? Thank you :)

8 year old thread! lool
11 now :D

as stated 503.01 but as for brand its down to preference. as for grading if your anything above stock power go 5w 40, The stock 5w 30 is basically like using **** in tuned engines.

Reactions: Roadtrain
5W30 504.00 has superceded 503.01 .

At Stage 1 its fine . Above that power and or used on Autobahn or track , use a 5W40 racing ester oil .

5W30 504.00 is 12 Centistokes @ 100°C so is not **** thin , it's a thick 30 grade .

Reactions: AdzA3AGU and Roadtrain
I use 5w40 everytimes in my engines, but RAE scale is one parameter, not the only one (there are many different oils these as same RAE scale). I use Bardahl XTC 5w40 usually, but I don't know if someone use it on BAM here? XTR 5w50 is better anyway, but I don't know about BAM also.

What brand/type oil di you use exatly?

Thank you :)

Have you a picture of the actual oil you use ?

I have the strong suspicion you are using a lower medium quality oil .

Suspicion confirmed , go back to the 5W30 504.00 LongLife .

The 5W40 XTC C60 is just a medium quality 502.00 with some marketing spiel .

The 5W50 XTR 39.67 RACING C60 is even more spiel and doesn't contain any group 5 ester basestock .

I use XTC on many 6 cylinder naturally aspirated with high power since many years. In addition, XTR is one of the best oil overall. I don't need any long life oil, I change oil every 10000 kms maximum, in addition 5w30 isn't a correct RAE scale for this modified engine (anyway, RAE scale is one of many parameters only).

In what engine did you use XTC or XTR? Or did you base your opinion about what you read in that "schedule" (list on right side) of "Performance level" conformity only?

Last edited:
What engine modifications do you have ?

People miss the point with LongLife oil , it's basestocks are higer groups and or additive package concentration is also higher which make for a higher quality and make the oils qualities last longer which means near to the end of the service interval it will be still doing a top job , but not at VAGs stupid maximum intervals .

I use LongLife but change every 6 months as little as 1300 miles .

Since owning mine for last 5yrs I always change once a year and use the Quantum 5/40 fully synthetic from TPS. My car doesn't use any between changes, but I don't do more than 3k a year.

Upgrade to 5W30 Quantum-Longlife III 504.00 , higher group basestocks and overall additive package concentration for better protection from wear , sludge and better fuel economy .

Just dont use it for the intervals its built to do. 3 to 5k swap it out