Audi S3:Eibach vs H&R vs Apex lowering springs.

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I'm not sure what specs the springs are, not 100% sure if both company's do 2 different rates of springs, but just a quick write up on my findings between the two. Both cars are riding on Bilstein shocks also.

The Eibachs(my car) are definitely lower at the back than the H&R's, by at least 10mm, but it's the H&R's that's lower at the front, by a similar 10mm at least just looking at it. So we have a car slighty pointing upwards at the front with the Eibachs, and with the H&R setup, it's diving downwards like it's under braking, but parked up of course.

Driving them back to back, the H&R's are much bouncier, especially at the back end, and looking at the springs through the wheels, the H&R(red springs) seems to have the coils fully compressed and loaded against each other with a black rubber coil protector to prevent damage, and only the lower 2-3 coils offering suspension movement, which would explain the bouncyness. The Eibachs(Black springs) though, despite sitting lower just looks like a normal coil spring and seems to have full suspension travel/movement and slightly progressively wound, so firmer the more they compress.

The front end of both cars ride reasonably well for being uprated and lowered, but again, the H&R's ride slightly firmer than the Eibachs, just slightly firmer that OEM suspension, not as hard as a coilovered S3 I tried in the past by someway.

I have to admit, I prefer the front end stance of the H&R setup, but the rear end of my Eibachs, so something inbetween would be ideal, and looking at Tuffty's car riding on APEX springs, that could be ideal, but I've never sat in his car, so can't comment on ride. But with either the H&Rs or Eibachs, both ride very well, as close to OEM ride as you could get going aftermarket, but the H&Rs just felt a bit bouncier over rough roads, the Eibachs are very comfortable.

Can't really do a handling comparison, as my car is running 19" rims, the other S3 on 18's and also had Forge adjustable tie bars and Neuspeed ARBs, so handles better than mine in the first instance, but even with all these additional mods to aid handling, you still can't feel how much grip the chassis has. It's like the car turns in great and has plenty of grip, but you don't know when or if it will let go, I didn't push it to absolute limit for obvious reasons.

Interesting Jojo! I keep on looking at the H&R and thinking are they worth the extra £100 and if your saying the ebach is a more comfortable ride even with 19's then I'm beginning to think not!

good info there, im unsure whitch route to take..:think:
i dony know what springs i have on at the moment there black with pink dots on them??? and the ride seems harsh

Last edited:
My car, you can see the front is a bit elevated compared to the rear, it rides very well on the Eibachs and 19" rims.(Don't have close ups of the wheelarches over my wheels - sorry)
135-3561_IMG.jpg

Eibach Springs rear
08012009038.jpg

H&R springs rear
15052010256.jpg

H&R Stance front
15052010257.jpg

H&R Stance rear
15052010258.jpg

Interesting Jojo! I keep on looking at the H&R and thinking are they worth the extra £100 and if your saying the ebach is a more comfortable ride even with 19's then I'm beginning to think not!

Dan, they are bouncier/firmer, but not so hard you are going to puke up! I drove an S3 with Koni coilovers wound right down running standard 17" Avus rims, and that thing handled! But it's was bouncing left right and centre, like only the tyres was the suspension, so no coilovers for me!

good info there, im unsure whitch route to take..:think:
i dony know what springs i have on at the moment there black with pink dots on them??? and the ride seems harsh

Dave, they might be factory fit lowered springs? GmbH spec I think they are known as??

Cheers for info guys.. I had my car serviced yesterday, and was informed afterwards that the rear springs have broken!

My local performance shop recommended EiBach replacement springs.

Anyone sourced a reasonably priced supplier? My local supplier quoted £150 plus the vat, is this cheap.

I think yours sit really nice jojo!

Depends on what you call terrible. It's a little more comfortbale then my previous car (Ibiza FR with KW var1 coilovers and low profile tyres) but it's still firm for being standard.

thanks for the useful thread, im decided on the Eibach springs now, i wonder if anyone knows tho weather i can keep my standard shocks without having too much bounce, cos i really dont wanna look like im driving a pogo stick / have to have back surgery. i understand i am gunna get more than standard i just dont want too much, thanks:uhm:

I have h&r springs on standard dampers for now. Car has done 100000 miles. Have to admit at first the car felt settled but as the milege piles on the car feels more and more bouncy and unsettled. As soon as I have the funds I will be going bilsten b8 I thinks. If money is an issue as it was with mr I still felt the h&r gave a better ride on standard dampers then oe
IF the shocks are in good nick.

I have h&r springs on standard dampers for now. Car has done 100000 miles. Have to admit at first the car felt settled but as the milege piles on the car feels more and more bouncy and unsettled. As soon as I have the funds I will be going bilsten b8 I thinks. If money is an issue as it was with mr I still felt the h&r gave a better ride on standard dampers then oe
IF the shocks are in good nick.

Got any pics of your car?

Are you running rear tie bars?

It's always best to get matched springs and shocks but depending on the mileage your standard shocks have covered you should be fine.

Damian @ DPM Performance

thats spot on thanks verhy much

I have KW springs but if i had to choose between the two mentioned i'd be going for H+R, the S3's sit very well with these springs:) I don't go round corners fast so i just like my car to look sweet when it's stood at the lights or parked up lol

iv got 25mm eibach springs on standard shocks, and it does feel noticeably better round corners. And the stance is perfect. Although I am getting a bit of rubbing on full lock, which could probably be sorted with some wheel spacers

iv got 25mm eibach springs on standard shocks, and it does feel noticeably better round corners. And the stance is perfect. Although I am getting a bit of rubbing on full lock, which could probably be sorted with some wheel spacers

You got a picture bud, would be interest to see your stance:)

I will get some pics this weekend dude. I did get some pics when I orignally lowered it, but it seems to have settled down quite a bit since then.

Last edited:
I will get some pics this weekend dude. I did get some pics when I orignally lowered it, but it seems to have settled down quite a bit since then.

Cool:thumbsup: Good point about when you first lower it, mine looked exactly the same when i put mine springs, settled down alot since thank god! lol

Further time with the H&R's on a trip to Manchester and back in the same day gave me a sore back! I kid you not!! Never had such problems with the Eibachs, so maybe they are a bit firmer than I thought.

H&R springs + B8 dampers

Mostly short drives but its very similar to standard. Off to Germany in August so that'll be the real test.

1-5.jpg

H&R springs + B8 dampers

Mostly short drives but its very similar to standard. Off to Germany in August so that'll be the real test.

1-5.jpg

Mate your car is sweet looking. What wheels are they by the way?

H&R springs + B8 dampers

I'm interested in this set up too. Is the space between the arches at the front and back similar?

Mate your car is sweet looking. What wheels are they by the way?

BBS RSII

I'm interested in this set up too. Is the space between the arches at the front and back similar?

The back is a tiny bit lower. I expect the front to settle with all the weight and I also put new top mounts on so its no suprise.

So just an update on this. My Eibach springs decided to snap on the rear and failed the MOT last year, despite only doing 25k miles, but it was over 8 years or so, so it forced my hand to replace them. I was never happy with them anyways, so considered the H&Rs, but they have gone up in price somewhat, so I decided to get a set of Apex springs off eBaY for £106 delivered to my door step. They are still mated to my Bilstein shocks, and I have finally got the ride height I was after, and it also handles a lot better too, but the drawback is a firmer ride than the Eibachs!

Here's how she sits now.

8A3D4CD3-1610-474F-85AB-458D83005BA9-7879-00000652309C0457_zps4c2af2e8.jpg

7BB5A549-F16F-4F61-9F57-A282038E9C96-7879-00000654337BEFC2_zpse3d9aba7.jpg

8104CE2D-5EAD-4D7A-9E92-F457809EB2F9-17169-00000C50DA56B4DC_zps6f070f0c.jpg

Reactions: s3dave and Alex C
Did your rear Eibach springs have a plastic sleeve on the bottom couple of coils?

One of my front Eibach springs snapped last week :( suppose they have done 7 years.

What was the stated drop on the new apex springs?

Having driven Jo's car today I can strongly recommend whatever it is he has.

Even on 19's it is SO smooth, by far the nicest ride and driving feel of any S3 I have driven. Really wafts along well, but feels planted and firm.

10/10.

Did your rear Eibach springs have a plastic sleeve on the bottom couple of coils?

One of my front Eibach springs snapped last week :( suppose they have done 7 years.

What was the stated drop on the new apex springs?

No mate, they had a powder coated like finish, but it was just the lower coil that snapped, maybe only dropped 5mm one side, but the MOT tester wasn't letting it go, common problem, so I changed them.

-30mm according to the link, they've gone up in price!

Audi S3 A3 1.8T Quattro Mk1 Lowering Springs Apex 30mm | eBay

Sorry to thread dig a little, but i'm currently considering my options for my S3, having thinking that coilovers would be the ideal, i'm beginning to worry about ruining the ride and spending a lot of money in doing so. Jojo, how do the Apex springs compare to the Eibachs and H&Rs?

What i'm looking for is a small drop from stock, and a slightly firmer ride that's not crashy or uncomfortable but an improvement in the handling stakes. The appeal of coilies was that i'd be able to adjust it for track use (moving to frankfurt in june and planning on spending some time at the nurb), but i can't afford top of the line ones (KW v3s/Bilsteins for example, unless i find some used), and so i'm worried i'm just going to spoil the car. Keeping an eye out for used bilsteins/KWs etc. in the mean time..

Advice and opinions would be much appreciated as i've only driven mine (stock) but had a cracked spring at MOT [failed] last week and now looking to upgrade!

Sorry to thread dig a little, but i'm currently considering my options for my S3, having thinking that coilovers would be the ideal, i'm beginning to worry about ruining the ride and spending a lot of money in doing so. Jojo, how do the Apex springs compare to the Eibachs and H&Rs?

What i'm looking for is a small drop from stock, and a slightly firmer ride that's not crashy or uncomfortable but an improvement in the handling stakes. The appeal of coilies was that i'd be able to adjust it for track use (moving to frankfurt in june and planning on spending some time at the nurb), but i can't afford top of the line ones (KW v3s/Bilsteins for example, unless i find some used), and so i'm worried i'm just going to spoil the car. Keeping an eye out for used bilsteins/KWs etc. in the mean time..

Advice and opinions would be much appreciated as i've only driven mine (stock) but had a cracked spring at MOT [failed] last week and now looking to upgrade!

I'll make it easy for you, the Apex springs is the cheapest of the lot, it lowers the car by the most, so the car benefits from the lower centre of gravity, so handles better. The drawback is ride comfort, but it depends on what you are use to? It's firm for a road car, but totally acceptable for a high performance car, I'm comfortable sitting in my S3 anyways.

For comfort, go for the Eibachs, despite claims of lowering 25mm, it's more like 10mm all round, retain the original rear spring plate/cushion thing on the rear to raise the rear slightly, or you will get reverse rake as I posted earlier in the thread. Retains the comfort of OEM springs, but a minor drop. Small improvement in handling I guess.

H&Rs are the most expensive, almost double the price of the Apex at the time of posting, the ride height is in between Apex and Eibachs, ride is firm, possibly firmer than the Apex springs.

You'd think for the price of the H&Rs that you are getting a higher quality product, but I can confirm that both the Eibachs and H&Rs will suffer the same fate of a snapped rear coil over time, and I reckon the Apex springs will go the same way also, it's a design fault of where the rear spring sits in the cup at the rear, it catches water, which corrodes the lower coil away.

I cannot believe I have offered you more money 6 months later and you still haven't said yes.