Lowering on 18's

ross_broughton

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New to the forum as I bought a black 1999 A3 1.8T on Friday.

It has 18'' MOMO alloys on it and sitting at standard height. I definately want to lower it but am not sure how low I can go as I don't want to cause any problems with rubbing on the arches or causing problems with full lock steering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I went down 40mm and its about right for me (would like lower but cant be doing with the speedbumps around here). You can go down over 60mm without too much trouble with rubbing arches etc if you have the right offset on your rims...its more the drive shaft humping the antiroll bar you need to worry about.

You might get away with 40mm but to be honest I cant be sure as I changed my ARB's when I lowered mine.

Don't bother lowering it mate! you will scrape every speed hump, and there are lots. My S2 was lowered and was sexy as F**K, its more hassle than its worth.

Definately gonna lower it. Looks so high sitting on 18's had all my other cars lowered and was fine on speedbumps along as you didn't take them too fast!

Just don't know how low to go?

ive got 18s m8 but got no inner arches the fronts 60mm and rears on its **** lol unsure how low rear is

definately lower it mate, i did mine on weitec coilover and eibach arb's. feels and looks soo much better!

Thinks I'm gonna go down 45mm all round.

Do u think I'll get away with out any problems?

As I said I rly wana go as low as I can but don't wana have to do any other work.

There are lots of people who will disagree with you on that jimboyS3

buy coilovers instead of springs then you can adjust until your heart's content, even after theyve settled

If you buy lowering springs of more than 20mm your shocks will not be able to cope (presume it's the same for all cars, certainly was the case with my Clio).

Spend the money now, or spend a lot more later with knackered components.

It's always best to buy a full matching springs and shocks kit as it'll give you a better ride quality and also better handling but if you did just want to change the springs then that's also possible.

Damian @ DPM Performance

As DPM said, ideally you want to change everything.

I changed all mine at 75K miles so the original shocks would have needed changing anyway, I think its a bit of a false economy to change just the springs on a 10 year old car as you'll have to have it all off again to change the shocks anyway :)

Costs a bit more at first but it'll save you labour etc later down the line.

DSCF0366.jpg

hows that for ya?? Im using the JOM coilovers from DPM performance. cant fault them, and Damian from DPM is a star also.

i get no rubbing even with 3 adults in the car (aint done 4 yet) running 18`s.

the little square speed bumps i have to oik 1 side over slowley as i like my sump, but those normal speed bumps i drive over with no dramas. (all be it slower) Its all part the fun oh having a slammed car i think. and for the roads with no speed bumps on, you need not brake for corners!! lol

hope this helps!

Yeah ive been looking at the JOM coilovers think i'll probably go for a set of these.

Look very good value for money and i dont do any track days or anything so cant really justify spending £500-600 when theres alot of performance mods I would rather spend the cash on.

Nothing against these JOM coilovers, but I have been down the road of cheap coilovers and would never go there again. You really do get what you pay for with stuff like this. Just personal opinion/experiences :)

Totally agree jamie. I have been down the cheap coilover route and would never go there again. I went down the bilstein fixed route and so glad i did they are amazing, best mod to my car by far.