Question about 2001 s3 head light washers

funnyclub

Reaction score
Hey guys I went to look at a s3 today and the 2 covers off the head light washers in the bumper seem very loose. There is also abit of a gap between them and the bumper is this normal or should they sit flush? Does this look normal?

media

Mine are like this also but dont seem to stick out quite as much as yours, IIRC its a bumper off job and then you need to pad out the washer stalk behind the bumper with a washer.

e2a, Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Tnx mate. Its really bugging me. I left a deposit on the car but now I think I might with draw from the sale because of this. :3sadwalk:

If the car is clean and been looked after with service history/receipts for stuff etc i wouldnt let it put me off at all, its no biggie removing the bumper, takes me about 20 mins off and back on again.

If the car is clean and been looked after with service history/receipts for stuff etc i wouldnt let it put me off at all, its no biggie removing the bumper, takes me about 20 mins off and back on again.

Its at 95,000miles with a full audi dealer service history. There isnt by any chance instructions by anyone on what needs to be done to sort it?

My passenger jet is leaking. Any guides anyone

Definitely should sit flush pal. Looks odd, have a real good inspection over the front end before you go parting with any cash. Make sure you're happy it hasn't been in any front end collision. Anyhting that doesn't line up for any reason would indicate accident damage to me. Do your investigations matey :thumbsup:

Def looks odd, mine are flush. Might be simple enough to fix, but make sure the cause wasn't anything bad. Might just be a weird seal stopping them close properly, or might have been a huge front-end impact that's damaged them (as well as possible some sort of structural parts).

Definitely should sit flush pal. Looks odd, have a real good inspection over the front end before you go parting with any cash. Make sure you're happy it hasn't been in any front end collision. Anyhting that doesn't line up for any reason would indicate accident damage to me. Do your investigations matey :thumbsup:

Ya will do mate. I have already given a deposit but I am going to bring along a panel beater friend of mine and if it aint right I am getting my money back.

One of mine is the same. Works fine, just a bit loose. I wouldn't worry about it too much if the rest of the car looks like it's in good condition & looked after. It sounds a simple fix.

Can someone let me know how to get the front bumper off so I can take a look at mine please?

yes mate.
open the bonnet.
above the grille there are four plastic rivets, look like small circle within a larger circle (larger one about 5pence sized). screw a thin screw into the hole in the centre bit and pull it out (some people knock them through the back but there's a chance of losing them in the engine bay i find), then lever out the bigger bits.
Then under the bumper on the bottom facing the road, go straight down from each end of the number plate and you will find a philips head screw, quite a big cross driver needed. remove these.
In the wheel arches, there are about 3 or 4 torx head screws at the bottom of the arch holding the small deflector onto the bumper and onto the lip of the arch. I think it is also one at the top of the bumper screwed through into the lip of the arch.
pull the end of the bumper out from the body and pull the bumper off towards the front.
once it is off the car, you need to disconnect the headlight washer hose and the front foglight wiring connectors.
The headlight washer hose has a white plastic connector on it with a blcak plastic clip about half way along its length. remove this black clip and the two white plastic halves split.

Got to it before me Ross,good work :icon_thumright:
to make the caps level you'll need some plastic shim iirc it interlocks so its not a case pf putting a square piece in,its customising it to suit but I did have the same problem and now they are flush (touch wood)

I have 1 like that. The other is flush. Reason for it is one of the plastic retaining brackets on the plastic cover snapped. Just need to buy a new plastic cover and get it painted but havent bothered yet.

i had a similar issue and was going to remove the bumper atsome point - not happend yet as cant be *****

i fixed it by carefully lifting the washer and wedging a flat blade into the arm so it couldnt retract, then put a self tapper between the clip that had worked its way loose, took me two attempts to get it flush but now you cant tell ;) exactly same repair but without removing bumper

Tim

Thanks guys well I am going to look at a red one today with less milage but more owners and more expensive so I will make my mind up after this.

hmm mine arent quite flush but the only few i have looked at up close havent been either so i assumed normal, looks like bumper off time!

In the recent cold spell up here (-14) and despite being garaged both my covers were pushed out by by the frost. One thawed out no problem but the other stayed slightly out. May investigate method that doesn't involve bumper removal.

ahah! cheers skim reading a long post till the weekend when i need to know what im doing! :)

In the recent cold spell up here (-14) and despite being garaged both my covers were pushed out by by the frost. One thawed out no problem but the other stayed slightly out. May investigate method that doesn't involve bumper removal.

Mind did exactly the same. Both were stuck out due to the cold weather -10 -15!! When they eventually thawed out I the washer bottle was empty, I filled it up and when I walked round the front had a constant drip from just infront of the front passenger side wheel. I presume that the hose has been foreced off the back too, I will be removing the bumper this weekend to investigate.

J