Engine Oil Sensor

luke2702

Reaction score
Hi,

Just had alarm come up on S3 engine oil sensor faulty, is this something that can be sorted easily without having to take to Audi?

Thanks

the sensor is on the bottom of the sump pan. close to where the oil return from the turbo ties in.
Splitting, cleaning and remaking the connector is a good idea but if it doesn't fix it then personally i would replace it next time you do oil change.
bit dubious it was no problem then suddenly it is after your service...

replacing it is an oil change job as it screws onto the bottom of the sump and the sensor part of it pokes through a hole up into the oil.

replacements here.

Thanks for that is this anything to be worrying about or could it wait until service? When it says clean connections is this something you can do without dropping oil?

Thanks

Also has anyone got any pictures to were it sits on the sump?

If you look at the bottom of the sump you can't miss it, black square with a connector on the back.

I'd say as long as the dipstick says there is sufficient oil in no real damage has been done.

If you look at the bottom of the sump you can't miss it, black square with a connector on the back.

I'd say as long as the dipstick says there is sufficient oil in no real damage has been done.

Thats good!

Just been out again in it and it has cleared...:confused:

Going putting on vag com in about half hour so fingers crossed nothing shows up bad!!!!

Its quite common for the oil sensors to start playing up after an oil change which is a pain in the *** as the owner will asume the person who did the oil change has damaged it but this isn't usually the case. Oil change aside the sensors are quite guilty of giving false readings when a good few years old. Have also seen plenty of wiring faults aswell tho so don't rule this out.

Ewan.

Just had it on Vag Com no other faults on the system:) But the fault from this morning has been reset and it was showing that it was a ground fault! Any ideas?

Light has come back on ****** doing my head in only had the car 5 days.......

I have read that you can remove the connector and clean in connections this could solve problem Any thoughts?

As dont fancy dropping oil as it has just had this done!!!!!!

Does the warning light go out when you pop the bonnet with the ingnition still on ???? i had this sensor warning a while ago and it was somehow tied into the service light being on .... though i had had just had the sump off to check the oil strainer was clean and i jetwashed all the old crud out of the sump and possible got a little water in the sensor.... i cleared the service light via the dashboard which helped though didn't totally cure it but over the last couple of weeks it's now totally gone away so i'm thinking it was perhaps a little water in the contacts after all and it's all now dry and causing no problems

Will give this ago when i come back from walking dogs and update you....

tried it still not clearing.... Looks like new sensor....

Just ordered one off Ebay £22.99 plus £2.50 delivery....:happy:

Did you get this sorted in the end Luke as mine doing the exact same ****** thing!

GRRRRR :(

this thread is worrying.

did anyone of you get to the bottom of which sensor was actually faulty?

youll have oil pressure sensors (very critical) and then the oil level/temp/AVS sensor in the sump (not so critical)

How can I check which sensor is not working as I dont have VAGCOM?

Worrying is not the word as my OIL light is on however oil is topped up/ dont want to be draining anything from reciving oil ie: The pump may of packed up or pressure is not at 100%?

Can anybody help?

well the oil pressure sensor, if thats warning you of low oil pressure, i highly recommend that you dont run the engine. low oil pressure = low circulation = things about to die

there is another sensor for oil level, i think thats an orange warning. not as critical, but your level is good

check the manual, if its oil pressure than thats very worrying.

probably oil pump, but in my experience blocked oil pick up from the engines ive had to open up.

if its oil pressure the best place to start is getting the sump down. where abouts are you based?

I replaced the oild level sensor which worked for me and had no further issues. Hope you sort yours out mate.

Its been on VAGCOM this evening. Good so far... Not the pressure as I first thought but wanted to double confirm.

It appears to be a faulty misreading sensor in the pan/ nipple that pokes into the pan.

Gonna cost me, £63 for an OE replcement sensor plug plus, fitting and fresh oil. Not that bad I suppose. Could of been alot worse.

Keep you updated on the findings :)