What is a good oil for my a4 avant 1.8t

theviking

Reaction score
:confused: oil change time this wk whats a good oil i dont do excessive millage car has 89 thousand on clock a 98 avant model
thanks

available over the counter at your local friendly vw or audi dealer. very reasonably priced too

it is?

They had it advertised for about £50 a gallon last time i was in my local VW dealer....

I think i'll be sticking to my £15/gallon oil from the factors, and if i WAS going to spend £50 a gallon, i'd be buying some Silkolene Pro-S or similar from Opie.

noooo i got 20L for £59+vat (quantum platinum)

a 5L can was £27, but other places seem to have it as low as £23 which is really good VFM

noooo i got 20L for £59+vat (quantum platinum)

a 5L can was £27, but other places seem to have it as low as £23 which is really good VFM

I done quite a bit of research into oils and read almost everything you can read..I opted for Mobil1 0w-40w Fully Synthetic they say you cannot put better in than that..expensive but that's probably what you pay for..

My Engine I know as only done 93,000 but I have not topped it up since I put it in..

Last edited:
21 quid from motor shop done 2 day and its stopped smokin as much job done in for mot 2morro trac rod and ball joint then nowt til next nippers born ! thanks for info guys .

Use Castrol Magna lube 5w 40w the VAG recommended stuff (i think).

If you want to do you engine a favour, get a decent quality oil and change it at 5,000 miles as oil breaks down quicker with turbos due to the load put on it.

Cheers

Michael

so youre basing your opinion/decission just based on what the manufacturer's sales blurb claims?

so youre basing your opinion/decission just based on what the manufacturer's sales blurb claims?

No I'm just joking with you..but it's interesting to see that Audi now Reccomend it,be it in a different grade but that is mainly down to preference..

I have found out though in life that if you bite someone expect them to bite back...;)...

My 1.8 engine over the last 14 years has gone from semi synthetic to fully synthetic, has had castrol, mobil 1 and is now running on quantum oil, the engine is still running fine, it's now got 230K on the clock and has never had any major work other than a cam chain tensioner (120K). I think if you choose a good quality oil & correct grade for the engine, and change every 5K-10K miles the engine should run & run.... I'm now sticking with quantum oil, been using it for +5 years without any problems :)

Yes it's one of the most talked about topics now,oil as changed some what,gone are the days of 20/50 Multi-Grade you are spoilt for choice now..

I was using Semi Synthetic but decided like the rest to go fully Synthetic and I decided on Mobil 1 0-40 I chose that grade because it suppose to help the Turbo Cars when cold for quicker warm up..

Pay your money and takes your choice as they say...:yes:..

i think ive been converted to quantum oils now too. over the last 10 years ive used almost soley fuchs, millers and occassionally carlube. i switched the golf to quantum platinum and noticed a fair drop in oil temps.

I suspect a big part of the problem with 1.8T's, is that for some crazy reason Audi specify Semi-Synth oil for them, upto switching to longlife and AVS in 2000.

And while i would imagine that if you stick to the 8000mile service interval on that semi-synth for the most part you'll be fine, people tend to miss services, stretch the intervals out, use low quality oil (perhaps even unintentionally by an ignorant garage) etc. With the engine being turbocharged, its a LOT harder on the oil than a similar power N/A engine, and it really should have been run on synthetic oil from new. It doesnt take much to push that overstressed semi-synth over the edge and it turns to treacle.

When we baught our car, i wasnt really aware of the issues, and the oil that came out on the first change was like treacle. I immediately ran flushing oil thru it, and then changed the oil every 5k thereafter. The bad oil had taken its toll though, and the oil pressure was low. However because i actually looked after it, it ran with low oil pressure for 40k and nearly 2 years of driving. I should probably have changed the pump and it would have been fine again, but time/money constraints meant i kept putting it off, and by the time i was ready to fix it, i ended up fitting another engine instead.

The reason i dont run super special branded oil, is i figure Motorfactors spec 5w40synth changed every 5k, is better for the engine than mobil1 changed every 10k, and because the factors stuff is half the price, it costs the same at the end of the day.

I agree with all that as been said here in all this thread and one thing that comes very clear out of all this reading is that the very important point is to change your oil as often as possible..

To be honest even with a Super Oil 10K is far too long to change any Oil I know some guys that change such Oils at 3-5k me being one of them..

But mine is a fair weather car and I do short miles now and then when I can be bothered to get it out the garage..

Oil the Life-Blood of the Engine as they say...

Last edited: