A4 Avant - Annoying location of 12v outlet by the handbrake?

jonnyboy77

Reaction score
Does the location of the 12v outlet / cigarette lighter port on the A4 not annoy people?

I have done a little research on this, but not found anything useful so far, but I would really like to be able to plug phone charger, or sat nav power into the 12v outlet without it sticking up and getting in the way.

I will try and get a picture of what I mean, but in the interim is there a common alternative? On my old VW Golf and more recent Ford Focus the 12v outlet was thoughtfully placed, so I was surprised at the location of it on the Audi!

My thoughts so far ...

- can I get a 12v outlet in the glovebox easily?
- can I rotate the existing 12v outlet through 90 degrees into the little recess?
- can I get a 12v outlet under the A/C in the little cubby hole there?

I'm looking to power my iPhone and TomTom without any brackets or major modification and so far its been a frustrating exercise!

Thanks

Jon

Does the location of the 12v outlet / cigarette lighter port on the A4 not annoy people?

I have done a little research on this, but not found anything useful so far, but I would really like to be able to plug phone charger, or sat nav power into the 12v outlet without it sticking up and getting in the way.

I will try and get a picture of what I mean, but in the interim is there a common alternative? On my old VW Golf and more recent Ford Focus the 12v outlet was thoughtfully placed, so I was surprised at the location of it on the Audi!

My thoughts so far ...

- can I get a 12v outlet in the glovebox easily?
- can I rotate the existing 12v outlet through 90 degrees into the little recess?
- can I get a 12v outlet under the A/C in the little cubby hole there?

I'm looking to power my iPhone and TomTom without any brackets or major modification and so far its been a frustrating exercise!

Thanks

Jon

I had the same idea, i installed a 5 port 12V bar into my glove box after having the car about a month.

I mounted it in the little area at the top of the glove box. Took about 1hr to install, i just removed the glove box and ran a cable to the 12v socket and just tapped into that.

Worked really well and had no problems with it, dont have it anymore as i have a new glove box, but i miss it so might re-install it.

I

Pictures to help illustrate:

I did consider one of these too:

belkincarusb.jpg

but after reading a lot of bad reviews I opted against it, unfortunately no other manufacturers appear to have followed Belkin's lead on these more compact 12v-USB adapters, as shown by the one in my picture above!

I personally would prefer to do away with any visible 12v outlet in favour of a few neat USB ports, since all of the gadgets I use in and around the car's cabin are USB powered anyway. Anything that needs a 12v outlet can be plugged into the boot outlet if needed.

If there's a 12v feed around the rear of the center console, toward the rear seats where the armrest would normally sit, then I had considered tapping into this for a USB port in the rear ashtray that could lead up to the small rectangular cubby hole between the front seats. I'll keep mulling some ideas over.

Thanks

Jon

Last edited:
Pictures to help illustrate:

I did consider one of these too:

belkincarusb.jpg

but after reading a lot of bad reviews I opted against it, unfortunately no other manufacturers appear to have followed Belkin's lead on these more compact 12v-USB adapters, as shown by the one in my picture above!

I personally would prefer to do away with any visible 12v outlet in favour of a few neat USB ports, since all of the gadgets I use in and around the car's cabin are USB powered anyway. Anything that needs a 12v outlet can be plugged into the boot outlet if needed.

If there's a 12v feed around the rear of the center console, toward the rear seats where the armrest would normally sit, then I had considered tapping into this for a USB port in the rear ashtray that could lead up to the small rectangular cubby hole between the front seats. I'll keep mulling some ideas over.

Thanks

Jon

Jon - What was wrong with these Belkin sockets as they look neat!

I read stories about them not fitting into most vehicles or being a very loose fit etc. I suppose for the £10 they cost I could risk it, even as a stop gap solution - it still doesn't resolve my ultimate annoyance of the positioning of the only front cabin 12v outlet though.

Here's one example of bad feedback: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TW379ZM/A (at the top)

Halfords sell them, so I might try one and return it if its no good:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_752077_langId_-1_categoryId_165489

If you get one let me know, if I do get one I'll post here.

Also just found this one from Kensington too: http://eu.kensington.com/kensington/en/gb/p/671/K38058EU/'iphone++ipod+usb+car+charger.aspx

Thanks

Jon

Last edited:
I read stories about them not fitting into most vehicles or being a very loose fit etc. I suppose for the £10 they cost I could risk it, even as a stop gap solution - it still doesn't resolve my ultimate annoyance of the positioning of the only front cabin 12v outlet though.

Here's one example of bad feedback: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TW379ZM/A (at the top)

Halfords sell them, so I might try one and return it if its no good:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_752077_langId_-1_categoryId_165489

If you get one let me know, if I do get one I'll post here.

Also just found this one from Kensington too: http://eu.kensington.com/kensington/en/gb/p/671/K38058EU/'iphone++ipod+usb+car+charger.aspx

Thanks

Jon

I may pop into Halfords on the way home. Like you say hopefully take it back otherwise.

The link to the Apple site just showed Product text.

I picked one up on the way home and it doesn't sit flush :eek:( and as one of the reviews said, it sticks up about 5mm. However it is a tight fit (oo err said the actress to the bishop) and I think I'm going to keep it as it's about 5cm shoter than my current USB/Cig adaptor.

I picked one up on the way home and it doesn't sit flush :eek:( and as one of the reviews said, it sticks up about 5mm. However it is a tight fit (oo err said the actress to the bishop) and I think I'm going to keep it as it's about 5cm shoter than my current USB/Cig adaptor.

Any chance you could grab a quick picture of the Belkin in use in the car?

Cheers

Jon

Like the 5 port idea in the glove box. Ideally Id like one in the boot and in the rear near where the ash tray is like i used to have in my passat

I'm looking at trying to fit a 12v outlet in the glove box and linking this to a 4 or 5 port USB hub, so that I can pop Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Phone etc on charge in the glove box and out of sight. Something like this:

41dyXlG8%2BbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Use the 12v outlet to power the hub, then the hub to charge the devices. The only thing I need to check is that I read yesterday about higher rated USB ports that might charge items like the phone more quickly than 'less powerful' USB ports.

I wonder if any of the VW Passat 12v power innards would fit the A4, like the rear compartment outlet, I'll have a closer look at my Dad's Passat alongside the A4 next time I'm home.

Cheers

Jon

I've been thinking about this since I picked up my B7 Avant a few weeks ago. I plugged in my Sat Nav today and the connection was intermittent which was the final straw.
I've bought one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260498588062&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123#ht_2028wt_939.
I'm planning on soldering this to the existing 12v outlet (I've already popped this out of the trim to make sure it's feasible), then route the cable through the centre console to the glove box. It keeps it all nice and tidy and the glove box allows wires to poke out of the side whilst being shut which will be handy for the sat nav. It should look much neater than having the wire trail all the way up across the radio etc.
I may need to fuse this adaptor if the supplied fuse isn't in the main body so a trip down to Maplins might be required.

use a decent size flex to the glovebox and you should be able to rely on the existing fuse

Is there a useful 'howto' for removing the 12v outlet and surrounding trim?

I still haven't formed a final solution to the initial problem ... but I am toying with a few ideas.

Thanks

Jon