Help, I've killed my car!

PARKER

Reaction score
hi,
I fiited a new stereo to my car on sunday (didnt drive it afterwards) and on monday morning it started up but the EPC light and an engine warning sign came up. It wont rev or tick over. I have taken the stereo back out but its still the same. It may not even be the stereo and maybe just failed at the same time. These are the faults codes- it does kind of look electrical, any help would be great- i am having to cycle to work!
9 Faults Found:
16621 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too Low
P0237 - 35-00 - -
16725 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
P0341 - 35-00 - -
16490 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal
P0106 - 35-00 - -
18047 - Accelerator Position Sensor 1/2 (G79/G185): Implausible Signal
P1639 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-00 - -
16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal
P0322 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17952 - Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187): Signal too Large
P1544 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17580 - Angle Sensor 2 for Throttle Actuator (G188) Signal too Low
P1172 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Possibly a daft question, but have you cleared the codes to see if they all reappear?

it looks like a major earth or power feed is missing...

As blue says, clear them and see what comes back.

I am with him. Thats a major failiure of componenets just to "happen" overnight. You have more likely pinched a wire or accidently cut one somewhere

yeh, the faults were cleared and came back exactly the same.

just cant work out what i have done. all i did was remove the old stereo,plug the the new lead in and fitted new stereo.i checked for damaged wires and cant see anything.

Cant really see why any major engine signal cables would be in/around the stereo either...

What year is your car? perhaps you could check over all the earths in/around the engine bay and around central electrics?

its a 2000 1.8T.
The stereo is a Sony. That works fine, i can sit in the car and listen to the stereo, i just have to stay on my driveway to do it!
The wiring was really short to the stereo and i probably did pull on it a bit to reach it, i wonder if another wire pulled out somewhere in the process.
i've been googleing the fault codes and the accelerator sensor seems to cause people all sorts of trouble so i will have a look at that but it seems a coincidence that it all happened after the stereo fitment.

Mine had similar problems at one point. Turned out to be a faulty MAF.

ok, now fixed. It turned out to be the MAP sensor. I bodged it a bit when i fitted the intercooler last year and i mounted the MAP too close to the chassis leg. The wires had worn through and were either shorting to each other or to the leg. This must have upset the values for the other sensors that came up. With the lap top connected and continually being cleared we could see that sometimes it was only the MAP that came up so that pointed us in the right direction. I cant beleive it failed the day after the stereo was fitted and this sent me completely down the wrong path. Unfortunately i had half the inside of the car stripped looking for the fault before my mate turned up with his laptop. Thanks for the replies, no more cycling , my butt was killing me!

That explains it, presumably the 5v feed to the sensor was getting grounded, and it was shared amongst those other sensors, so they were all dropping out.

Do you mean the air flow meter (MAF)?

fantastic. a had an issue a tiny bit like that once where a load of sensors dropped out. i scratched my head a bit and realised they were all on the same spur of the loom. one patch up later and all was done

obviously i dont know the audi lay out that well yet but full credit to you for sorting that one out. shows you how much trouble the little "bodges" we sometimes do can get us into