Installed rnse today, but little problem

khalil

Reaction score
finally got the rns e installed, really happy with it apart from a liitle issue

people with BOSE will understand this, when u put the volume on 0, u can sort of hear like a noise (hard to discribe it), thats normal with bose, bit the issue me having after installing rnse is, that when i off the rnse, i still get that noise for like 15 sec than it goes off,also it the same if i unlock the car and get in its there for 15 secs and than off,anyone know what that is? or is it cause i not got it coded?
cheers all

Last edited:
From the speakers you mean? You can normally hear the fans in the unit itself for a short time after switching off.

yes thats the one, my concert used to do that, but like that hissing used to go off like in 2-3 seconds when i off it, but the rnse is more like 15+ secs

Hmm now you mention is perhaps mine is the same. I kind of tune out background noises like that though to be honest!

i know what you mean mate, but i was just wondering if its to do with me not coding it or have i done somethimg to the wiring

Often a hiss can just be back ground interference but also a bad earth maybe....Nige will know...

Are you saying it is hissing from the speakers when you unlock the car and get in.....before you switch on the rnse ?

It goes off in time with the RNS-E switch off I guess. If you sit in your car after pulling out the keys after a short time you'll hear the RNS-E switch off. When you look at the screen you can see the lines. I think they do this as those lines would be a little unsightly if they appeared whenever you were about to get out of the car.

I would code it 1st then see if it is present as atm if its not coded for Bose & other things you can get funny things occurring, eg. when I fitted my bixenon adaptives, I got a buzzing noise through my speakers in the pillars, its only when I coded the car that this went away completely, now it might not fix your issue atm, but it needs to be coded anyway.

As already said rns makes lots of noises when turning car of, opening doors, etc, code up then come back if still present, in meantime I'll check mine as it rings a bell.

Reactions: XIIIMUF
I would code it 1st then see if it is present as atm if its not coded for Bose & other things you can get funny things occurring, eg. when I fitted my bixenon adaptives, I got a buzzing noise through my speakers in the pillars, its only when I coded the car that this went away completely, now it might not fix your issue atm, but it needs to be coded anyway.

As already said rns makes lots of noises when turning car of, opening doors, etc, code up then come back if still present, in meantime I'll check mine as it rings a bell.
ok cool mate i will code it up, i know my local guy who has AUTO BOSCH, is that the same sort of like VAG.COM? oh another thing i just noticed is that if sitting in the dark with the lights off the screen is bright, when switched the side lights on (engine off) the screen dims, and when switch off the side lights the screen remains DIM,it dont work with the lights ie dimming when on etc

I also have this issue. - a very low level hiss.

I've always assumed that it's the DVD still spinning in the RNSE Unit.

All of the factory fit Sat Nav units that I have ever used always remain powered on for 20 minutes of so after turing the car off. This is so that the unit does not lose it's destination when stopping for fuel, etc.

Maybe something to do with that?

The RNSe has a low power mode. It is placed into this mode by CAN signals and does this when you unlock the doors. It also goes into this mode when you turn the unit off. You can here a slight hissing through the speakers and some cars are worse than others. I'd have the unit and car coded properly as incorrectly coded units can drain the battery.

The RNSe has a low power mode. It is placed into this mode by CAN signals and does this when you unlock the doors. It also goes into this mode when you turn the unit off. You can here a slight hissing through the speakers and some cars are worse than others. I'd have the unit and car coded properly as incorrectly coded units can drain the battery.

but how can you fix the hissing noise when you unlock the car? or is cause its not coded?

Last edited:
I have this in mine, just as you've described, as soon as I unlock and get in, I can hear a faint hiss from the speakers. Same when I switch off and get out. As far as I know, mine was RNS-E from factory, so all coding should be complete etc...

I'd be shocked if you managed to make it go away, though if you do, let us all know!

I have this in mine, just as you've described, as soon as I unlock and get in, I can hear a faint hiss from the speakers. Same when I switch off and get out. As far as I know, mine was RNS-E from factory, so all coding should be complete etc...

I'd be shocked if you managed to make it go away, though if you do, let us all know!
how long does the hissing noise go on for? when u unlock the car and get in?

I stop noticing it, I'm not sure it ever actually turns off as I pretty much straight away start listening to music, or I just 'tune' it out in my head. I'll pay attention though next time I get in and see what happens!

..ok, I sat and listened to the car on the way home. When you unlock it and get in, there is a very faint hiss which doesn't go away. You have to be stopped (and in a quiet area) before you notice it though, so it's not a problem as I see it. When you reach your destination, you stop, turn off the car and unlock. If you open the door, close it and lock it (while remaining inside) the slight noise persists beyond the coming home lights interval, beyond the instrument cluster interval (odometer) and for about 10-20 secs extra. At this point, the RNS-E spins the DVD down and switches off. Unlocking the car fires the RNS-E up, the hissing comes back and you can hear the DVD spin up.

If it's a really quiet noise, then I'd say you've not got a problem, if it's annoying you, then there's an issue with either the car, or your ears :moa:

..ok, I sat and listened to the car on the way home. When you unlock it and get in, there is a very faint hiss which doesn't go away. You have to be stopped (and in a quiet area) before you notice it though, so it's not a problem as I see it. When you reach your destination, you stop, turn off the car and unlock. If you open the door, close it and lock it (while remaining inside) the slight noise persists beyond the coming home lights interval, beyond the instrument cluster interval (odometer) and for about 10-20 secs extra. At this point, the RNS-E spins the DVD down and switches off. Unlocking the car fires the RNS-E up, the hissing comes back and you can hear the DVD spin up.

If it's a really quiet noise, then I'd say you've not got a problem, if it's annoying you, then there's an issue with either the car, or your ears :moa:
oh thanks mate for doing that, thats excatly how mine is, so not too worried now, i thought i might of brought a broken rnse, thanks once again,but i think it would be wise to get it coded,
and yes i have extremly sharp hearing lol