Drivers Door sensor is not working ! ! !

dancarpy

S3 DCY
Reaction score
Hey
I have an S3 2001
When i shut the drivers door the display shows that the door is still open.
I have to shut the door 3 or 4 times with force to get the display to show its closed.
Wondering if anybody has had this problem or knows where the sensor is or how to fix it ?
Thanks . Dan
:( :blackrs4:

Same problem, couple of things todo. The door clatch thats on the main body of the car that the door locks onto, there's a rubber/plastic insert, pull that out abit and when the door closes it pushes further in to knock the sensor off.
The other thing is to get a screw driver and wiggle it around in the latch housing of the door, theres like a sensor in there that sometimes comes out of place.
All tips are compliment of s3paul :)

Thanks alot Dani B19 or/and s3paul

Just sorted it now !
I ended up gettin some thin wire and hooking it round the back of the sensor which is a little white stick.Then pulled towards me so the sensor was closer.Took a few goes beacuse you cant really see it well and its dead fiddly but i managed in the end!
Thanks alot guys !

No problem mate, it was s3paul that told me how todo it the other week so thought id include him haha. Glad you sorted it though, real pain in the **** when the lights wont go out due to the door sensor.

Can you just say where you put the wire round???

Just had a look on mine and couldnt work it out....

hey nilz18t
ermmm i just had a little torch with me and shone it down the hole behind the catch in the door.you should see a little white stick thing or it night be black or full of grease.you basically hook a piece of wire or anything you can find that can bend into shape and push it as far as you can and then push down to hook it round the back of the stick/sensor and then pull.ill take a picture 2morrow if you still struggle to do it.sorry for any mistakes as im on my phone.haha.

Hey cheers for your help, if you can get a pic that would be ace...thanks again.

Nilz

Ok sorry it took me ages.been at work all day!

These are the best pics i could get after trying about 50 times !

ausis3doorsensor1.jpg

ausis3doorsensor2.jpg

ausis3doorsensor3.jpg

Hope this helps ! :S
:D

Dan

Thanks for that mate, I will have a go at it and see what happens, today for some reason it has been like that nearly all day, quite frustrating!!!

Will look at it tomorrow as long as it aint ****** raining!!

So basically, put something above it and then push down and pull out??

Yeep you got it !
Worked for me anyway
I think the sensor must just be out of reach that little bit, so the catch doesn't knock it off.
Let me know how you get on anyway.

Same happend to mine last night :(
Will have a look when its not ******* it down.

Just happened to my drivers door for the first time. Thanks guys for the info will get it fixed in the morning

OK so I wd-40'd its *** and lubed it all up yesterday and couldnt really get a wire around it so went with some long nose pliers, had a little touch and a feel, thats about it really (does this sound pervy to anyone else) :ohmy:

Not had much heat since yesterday but will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks.

Could tell it was the microswitch, coz as soon as you touch it the light at the bottom of the door goes off, as if to register the door has been closed.

Thanks for the tip again, will just have to wait and see now :)

Haha im the same! just keep checking it everyday to see if it stays working.so far so good anyway ! :D
Also if you poke the microswitch youll also see the door shut on the display!

Well just tried it today and its still the same!!!!

Well i flick it with a screwdriver, it turns the light off, but when i go to close the door it doesnt seem to reach the switch and seems to have actually got worse....

Are you going to Audis in the Park on Sunday, if so, you can have a look at mine for me :) LOL

Mine is now sorted :)

Following the above method, so big thanks to Dan fr the guide.

What hook did you use to sort it? Mines starting doing in only in hot weather lol?! Random.

After reading the guide im confussed! (LOL doesn't take much!)

Do you hook the wire on the metal frame or the sensor itself and pull it out? Reason I ask is on the last picture shown there's no picture of the sensor on it, and it seems to be suggesting to hook it round the metal frame?

ausis3doorsensor3.jpg

Sorry for the confusion.

Just latch it onto the sensor and pull forward with it, its quite a faff to get to and latch onto, but once you do, you will be ok, also have a look at the little red light on the bottom of the door, to see if you have it, coz as soon as you tap it, the light will go on and off, if that helps at all.

Thanks Guys this really helped me out :readit: i found turning the ignition on and as nilz18t said it helps if you look for the culprit door.

Mine made a ticking noise from the dash and the interior door light flashed in time with the interior light on the roof.

I replaced the drivers door lock as it was causing the problem originally (£60 from audi) and then the passenger door did the same thing about a month later so this time when i searched it and found this thread i only wish i had found it before spending £60 and 3 hours replacing the door lock and aligning the window back up etc. :banghead:

Big thanks again guys.

CJ

Ps. I have a good working drivers lock (Remote CL) if anyone needs one from a 2002 A3 :w00t:

Also forgot to add the tool i used to pull it out was a small alan key. Worked a treat and i imagine most people can get their hands on one.

i recently bought a new door mechanism to solve this problem, cost me £59 from the stealers. Tokk me an hour to fit, door card off, door frame and window off and just disconnect a few bits from the door mechanism and put back together. All sorted, i tried the spray tecnique but didnt cure it

Ahhhh, wondered where that wee sensor was. Mine's done this a few times now but only when it was hot for some reason. Might be cos the heat made it / something near it expand causing it to stick.

Anyway, I'll have a poke at that tomorrow!

Thanks

Has anyone else tried the poke method successfully as my door lock has started to do this annoyingly!

I don't mean to be rude- but the "poke method" is a black-magic-fix

I just swapped the catch last Saturday night with a brand new one and it's fixed- end of story. Once it reaches the point where it's happening all the time there's no escaping a new catch.

If it's any consolotaion- I prized the double microswitch part out of the lock mechanism and it's NOT serviceable. They look like high quality IP67 switches but 10 years outside and they've had it. Plus the rear of the casing is "potted" so you can't open it- I recently went through this with one of my boot release switches as the connector had failed and managed to resolder new lines to the switch directly after digging down to it through the plastic but in this case theres no way out-

I wish I could work out how to upload shots onto this site as I've got some great footage of the offending parts. (I asked for administrative support but have heard nothing)

It's not happening all the time just when it's hot as per most people but yeah maybe best of replacing... but as funds are tight will try the 'black magic' fix first lol

I don't mean to be rude- but the "poke method" is a black-magic-fix

I just swapped the catch last Saturday night with a brand new one and it's fixed- end of story. Once it reaches the point where it's happening all the time there's no escaping a new catch.

If it's any consolotaion- I prized the double microswitch part out of the lock mechanism and it's NOT serviceable. They look like high quality IP67 switches but 10 years outside and they've had it. Plus the rear of the casing is "potted" so you can't open it- I recently went through this with one of my boot release switches as the connector had failed and managed to resolder new lines to the switch directly after digging down to it through the plastic but in this case theres no way out-

I wish I could work out how to upload shots onto this site as I've got some great footage of the offending parts. (I asked for administrative support but have heard nothing)

Pictures would be very useful for everyone! To upload pictures is easy! Just use a website like ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting
then once the pictures are uploaded, then copy the IMG link over on here. :happy:

If not, its a 120 quid job at audi if you want to have the catch mechanism changed. Mine was doing the same thing, so had it changed under warrenty.

Haha just seen this! Black magic it may be but it worked for me and I've not had a problem since! :) it's just something to try if funds are tight!
(watch me get home now and it happen as soon as I get in the car!)

Haha just seen this! Black magic it may be but it worked for me and I've not had a problem since! :) it's just something to try if funds are tight!
(watch me get home now and it happen as soon as I get in the car!)

can somebody help me here in layman's terms- I am able to upload to Image-Shack, but if I copy a link, it's just a link...

OK mate, upload the pic to the site, then you should get a link for the pic, all you need to do is copy the link from the site and add it to your post.

That should sort it.

Also the pokey fix worked a treat for me as well....touchwood has been good for me for a long time now.

LOL did you use a coat hanger nilz?? Will try some hocus pokus tonight haha....

I actually did mate, you will know when you hit it as the light at the bottom of the door will flash on and off, then just give it a good ol' poke!! oo err missus!!

Mine has started doing this. i will have a look tomorrow!

This is the microswitch body- removed from the door catch.

dualdoorclosuremicroswi.jpg

WOW Jim, thats the biggest pic in the world!!

Might be worth resizing it.

Just dug through the forum to find this, been having similar problems with my driver's door - going to pop out in the morning with a coat hangar/allen key and see what i can do - cheers for the advice guys!

Same problem on my A3 TQS 2002 ..The interior light is going crazy..When I open the left door it goes on and again off all the time...The small parking lights on the door also doesn't work ..Od the passenger side is working normally.

What do yo sudgest.To do the "poke method" or maybe I can buy a new one from Audi dealer if I can buy it separated from the door lock mechanism.

Ok sorry it took me ages.been at work all day!

These are the best pics i could get after trying about 50 times !

ausis3doorsensor1.jpg

ausis3doorsensor2.jpg

ausis3doorsensor3.jpg

Hope this helps ! :S
:D

Dan
Hi, I am new to this forum but would like some help. My car door seems to be experiencing similar problems. Unfortunately I am not
Able to view the pictures posted above in helping to resolve this micrswitch issue. I am a register user of imageshack. Is there anyway you can send these pics to me via the Internet. This door is driving me crazy. Thanks In advance.