New 08-09 Front Head Light Conversion

J.R.

"Started From The Bottom"
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I was wondering if it was possible to have 08-09 Front Head lights with LED inside, on a 53 plate Audi a3?. Look at picture:

dibujokm1kr7.jpg

I was wondering if it was possible to have 08-09 Front Head lights with LED inside, on a 53 plate Audi a3?. Look at picture:

Been asked a few times before mate. It can be done, but you need to change the front bumper, bonnet and the wings too I think.

Been asked a few times before mate. It can be done, but you need to change the front bumper, bonnet and the wings too I think.

Has any one done this on these Threads ? Like a tutorial or something ?

Yes it can be done interms of the look, which as staz correctly states, wings, bonnet, bumper, light brackets, but then you have the electrical issues to contend with given the new drl's are led's, this would no doubt be a long coding thing in vag & then it would also depend on your version of onboard power control unit in top corner drivers side above footwell that has all the wires going into, this is also what stumped a few who stuck bixenons on there car & have funny drl activity, the onboard units have different abilities to enable, they come in byte versions, more bytes generally means more options able to enable, they go 17, 21, 23 30 bytes long, 23 onwards are the ones that officially I believe support proper drl coding, you can code drl's in the lower bytes but there are higher bytes that also affect how they work, so given I've done the updated front end for the pre-08 with adaptives I would suggest maybe buying the car rather than doing the upgrade, not cheaper at all but less hassle, lol

I'll let you do that mod then Lee, lol, but why didnt audi do them like Saab, they look so much more refined dont you think.

What is it with audi, they're so slow to implement modern tech they really are & it ****** me of cause no other car really says much to me interms of reliability from my experiences

Its true, the mk5 golf has had mirrors with indicators since 2004. Audi put them on the A3 4 years later and Audi are supposed to be the better brand.

The SAAB DRL's are pretty cool, they look like eyebrows!

Yeah the saabs are cool except for there **** chroming styling which has ruined the look really has, but there drl's are almost like fluorescents, one whole strip of light not segmented, impressive, guess they use same tech as bmw(sorry for swear word) ccfl isnt it?

But audi are so slow, I mean am I right in saying the rns I have has sd slots but the mmi systems in a4(8K) a6, a8, q5 & 7 dont have any sd slots anywhere, 1 step fwd 10 steps back, sd slots were best idea for ages as so convenient.

Yeah the chrome sunglasses are tat and at the end of the day its just a vectra wearing shades! I also dont like the silver stripe and clear rear lights on the estates. Looks ok on Silvers and light colours but awful on the black/greys. The lights also light up pink rather than red.

Whats the RNS in the new Gallardo? Seen a pic today and it looks identical to the A3 one? Also seems to be sporting an RS4 steering wheel!

well since audi bought them they've stuck some audi premium kit in the gallardo's & then copied the gallardo to make the R8, lol, ****** me of as I loved the gallardo as looked good & original with great lines, cant stand the R8 tbh

:o.k:HI ALL NEW TO FORUM, I HAVE 2006 A3 SPORTBACK AN WANTING TO KNOW IF THE NEW LED STYLE LIGHTS WILL GO ON. I KNOW U CAN PUT S3 XENONS ON THE FRONT AN BUY A WIRING CONVERSION OF SOME SORT THAT BASICALLY PLUG AN PLAY. DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE ABOUT REAER LIGHTS, THANKS

:o.k:HI ALL NEW TO FORUM, I HAVE 2006 A3 SPORTBACK AN WANTING TO KNOW IF THE NEW LED STYLE LIGHTS WILL GO ON. I KNOW U CAN PUT S3 XENONS ON THE FRONT AN BUY A WIRING CONVERSION OF SOME SORT THAT BASICALLY PLUG AN PLAY. DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE ABOUT REAER LIGHTS, THANKS

welcome & no the front is not as easy for the new 09 facelift headlights, they are different shape/size & requires the whole front replacing to fit mate.

rears are simple, loom addition, fit & then code with vcds, given they're same shape & size etc as pre 09 cars.

is the 2009 3-doors rear lights plug and play or does these also need coding?

would this 2009 front fit an before "facelift-2" front?
Or does the new facelift use different fasteningpoints?

And the 3door facelift lights and just plug and play no coding needed.

would this 2009 front fit an before "facelift-2" front?
Or does the new facelift use different fasteningpoints?

You will need wings bonnet bumper and other bits. Some one did price it up and it came up to over £3k....Check FAQ laods of info regarding this:

Is it possible to fit the Facelift S3 front end/New 09 Front Head Light
Will the 2009 facelift S3 front end fit a pre-facelift S3?

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=61545

Will the 2009 facelift LED A3/S3 headlights fit a pre-facelift?

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=65271

Technically yes, if you've got a lot of spare cash.

This thread discusses aftermarket lights with LED DRLs for the A3 (still awaiting news):

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=73621

Yeh sure you could alter the whole of the front of you car (really?) or you could go buy some after market xenons (arround £30). And also you can buy the R8 light strips (replicas) pretty damn cheap and very VERY simular. Look around a bit though as some do look a bit chep and make sure there are the same colr as your xenons. All in, about £50 and looks great and save doing silly thing to your car or waiting for some whole units to be released and lets face it there gonna be dammmmn expensive too.

Yeh sure you could alter the whole of the front of you car (really?) or you could go buy some after market xenons (arround £30). And also you can buy the R8 light strips (replicas) pretty damn cheap and very VERY simular. Look around a bit though as some do look a bit chep and make sure there are the same colr as your xenons. All in, about £50 and looks great and save doing silly thing to your car or waiting for some whole units to be released and lets face it there gonna be dammmmn expensive too.

Head light unit has been released just in LHD at the moment and there about £230 on ebay

Can i just confirm that the 09 LED DRL Xenons for S3 will NOT fit into an 08 S3 with halogen DRL? I see the different between the headlights in the 8P1 and 8P3 and realise you would need wings and bonnet etc but i think i have an 8P2 and i can't see any size or shape difference in the actual unit? Thanks, apologies if this gets asked a lot but it does not seem to be answered.

Can i just confirm that the 09 LED DRL Xenons for S3 will NOT fit into an 08 S3 with halogen DRL? I see the different between the headlights in the 8P1 and 8P3 and realise you would need wings and bonnet etc but i think i have an 8P2 and i can't see any size or shape difference in the actual unit? Thanks, apologies if this gets asked a lot but it does not seem to be answered.

Whats the difference between 8P1, 8P2 and 8P3? I thought there was just non facelift and facelifted?

No they will not fit if yours is 8p2 .

Sorry

Do you know why, as far as i can tell there is no physical difference between the cars except the LED front and rear lights and wind mirrors, or am i missing something?

It has all changed size ever so slightly. You will need new bonnet, wings etc to accommodate this. Audi are not stupid. They new everybody would want to retro these lights, so have made sure it aint a direct swap

It has been done, but will require lots of work and mucho £

Its true, the mk5 golf has had mirrors with indicators since 2004. Audi put them on the A3 4 years later and Audi are supposed to be the better brand.

The SAAB DRL's are pretty cool, they look like eyebrows!

About 10 years after Mercedes though with the W210!

Hi,all,came across this site looking for headlight conversion info from a 06 model to the 09,i have just started out on doing the facelift mod to my sons vehicle to house the new lights,so as i progress i will update as it may help others in the future.
Ok,we have a 06 ,2,0tdi sport 140 3,dr,we have purchased the following 09 components all off just the one vehicle and lucky enough the same black metalic paint,the parts we have are,bonnet,both front wings,complete bumper with re inforcer and mounting irons,full rad pack with the plastic mounting frame and of course a pair of headlights and grille,we have removed all the front and are now dummy building the face lift.
Issues we have found at first glance.the wing mountings are different where they bolt to the top of inner wings down the length of the bonnet slam,will require heavy moding,every where else they bolt on fine,the wiring connector to the headlights will need moding as our original ones have the loom entering the plug at 90 degrees which foul against the headlight adjusters,the intercooler entry and exit pipes are in a different position so will have to put our original into the rad pack,if it fits,the facelift wings don,t have repeater lights and the horns are mounted both on the drivers side as opposed to being both sides on our 06 front,so plenty to be getting on with,i will detail how we get on as we set about overcoming these issues for those that are interested,for information we gave £900 for the listed facelift items in mint condition.

Hi,all,came across this site looking for headlight conversion info from a 06 model to the 09,i have just started out on doing the facelift mod to my sons vehicle to house the new lights,so as i progress i will update as it may help others in the future.
Ok,we have a 06 ,2,0tdi sport 140 3,dr,we have purchased the following 09 components all off just the one vehicle and lucky enough the same black metalic paint,the parts we have are,bonnet,both front wings,complete bumper with re inforcer and mounting irons,full rad pack with the plastic mounting frame and of course a pair of headlights and grille,we have removed all the front and are now dummy building the face lift.
Issues we have found at first glance.the wing mountings are different where they bolt to the top of inner wings down the length of the bonnet slam,will require heavy moding,every where else they bolt on fine,the wiring connector to the headlights will need moding as our original ones have the loom entering the plug at 90 degrees which foul against the headlight adjusters,the intercooler entry and exit pipes are in a different position so will have to put our original into the rad pack,if it fits,the facelift wings don,t have repeater lights and the horns are mounted both on the drivers side as opposed to being both sides on our 06 front,so plenty to be getting on with,i will detail how we get on as we set about overcoming these issues for those that are interested,for information we gave £900 for the listed facelift items in mint condition.

Welcome to the forum

Speak to Phil or Dean. Both members on here and have done the conversion.
Both nice guys and will be able to advise you on what to do.
I think Phil online now aswell

EDIT: User names - message P5SND or Dean's A3:thumbsup:

Last edited:
you need the brakets to extend the wings i believe. make sure u take lots of pictures and post them up as your going through ur progress :) . also i would of thought ud use your old rad pack etc just slot it into the new front panel.

pop over to my build thread on vagoc its called "Phils S3 Build" its full of pictures and details