Slow motion wipers

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
My wipers have gone into slow motion mode, no matter what setting they barely make it across the screen.
Anyone had this before, is it new wiper motor time?

i got this on mine,i sprayed alot of wd-40 on the motor and linkages twice a week for 2 weeks and never had a problem since,also it could be the wipers,lift them off the screen and see if they go faster,if not start spraying wd-40 if no luck after 2 weeks time to replace motor or strip and sort it out,they get seized!

ive seen this on 5 a4s its the wiper linkage gone rusted up just remove or greese but rest assured its not your motor

tommyt2 said:
ive seen this on 5 a4s its the wiper linkage gone rusted up just remove or greese but rest assured its not your motor
But dont leave it too long like this or it might be.

Definatley one of the wiper spindles seizing in the housing. Change the linkage now for £30 or you'll have to change the motor aswell when the nylon gears strip out. !!

This happened to me a few weeks back, my car was just 3 years old, I managed to get it done under warrantee. New wiper motor. :thumbsup:

Well, while we are at this, My rear wiper just keeps coming on at random times, and stops where it feels like, while the front wipers will never complete their wipe (Like, when you press down on the steeringwheel stalk, control thing, it is supposed to wipe once, and then stop. It stops as I remove pressure. Whereever that may be on the windshield).

james0808 said:
Is it working normal now?

Yes no probs now, I have all the speeds. Before they would just creep accross the screen looking like they would stop at any time!!!!

Still struggling with this guys.
Stipped everything back and eventually managed to crack the wiper arms off (as they needed repainting anyway). From these pics can anyone suggest what needs to be replaced?
I've WD40'd everything and the spindles move quite happily on their own, but as soon as you load them up with the wipers they grind to a halt.
WiperMech1.jpg

WiperMech2.jpg

WiperMech3.jpg

I love the "just swap out the motor" terminology like it's an air filter or a spark plug. I've had to remove half the car just to get to the stage of removing the old one. The missus is getting a bit concerned.

OK removed the unit, released the linkage and the drivers spindle is completely seized. Any ideas on releaseing it other than soaking in a tub of WD40?
Does the spindle come apart or do I buy a new one.
Here's the offending article:
Wiperspindle.jpg

Ahh figured it out, there's a circlip at the top, then a washer then a rubber O ring. The non seized spindle just drops out with these removed. The seized one is still completely seized but at least with the O ring removed the penetrating fluid can work its way down.
Hats off to Bosch though, the motor still works fine.

One very seized wiper spindle. Had to heat it up with a blow torch in the end to release it:
Wiperspindleremoved.jpg

WOW! That looks nasty. Good work Andy.

Plenty of molybdenum grease on the spindles me thinks, all that WD' would have washed any real lubricant away.

BUB

The WD40 didn't get anywhere near it, couldn't believe the amount of rust dust there was, a real chemical reaction. When I cleaned it up it was completely pitted.

All back and working thanks, I even treated the car to a new wiper splashguard (the plastic trim under the windscreen) as the old one had been mangled by some bodgy windscreen replacement guy.
So get this, rang up Southampton Audi this morning expecting to have to order one. They not only had one in stock but it was only £10 +VAT! I was expecting £40+.
I'll never understand their pricing, they charge £18 for a wheel cap and only a tenner for this huge piece of sculpted plastic. Wierd.

Sorry to re ignite an old thread, but this is exactly the same prob I'm having. Have managed to get all the mech out tonight (I bought one of the things from machine mart today, or I'd be still trying to wiggle the wipers off) (also managed to get it out with no ECU unplugging, boy that was some fun)

Anyhow now I have it on the bench, one side just popped out but the other is good and sezied! Just one quick question, well two. The good side didn't have any rubber o rings, just a circlip??? And where abouts did you heat it with the blow torch?

Thanks for giving me the balls to have a go :)

Cheers
Lee

Just heat up the bit that's seized. The outer casing then expands and the wiper arm falls out