Immobiliser / Ignition Barrel Sensor Wire Issue?

BigJ

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

My A8 had started stalling 2seconds after cranking more and more recently. After a while I noticed the little Car/Key (Immobiliser) Icon blinking away at me (duh!).

Anyway, one of my spare keys made the issue go away until last weekend when it left me stranded at my local DVD rental store for 1hour! Eventually got it restarted (didn't really know how!?) then came home to look on this site for tips, fear great expense and punishment from my local stealer was imminent!

Luckily I saw one of the posts that mentioned the Ignition Barrel sensor wire getting "trapped/kinked" by the electric steering column movement. Thinking this would be too good to be true, I moved the column up and in to about the most central position possible and the immobiliser lamp went out!!!

All has been well since then (but I've turned off the memory function for the wheel and seat so as not to disturb this apparent perfect setting!)

Has anyone fixed this issue permanently/properly please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Was it an easy DIY job, or do I need to spoon feed my knowledge of the problem to my local stealer to let them fix it 'properly'!? Something I hate to do obviously – their work is usually very expensive and not very well done!

Many thanks in advance for any help that people can be with this?

Cheers,

BigJ.

it should be a plastic ring one end with about 10" of cable and a multi plug at the other, you should be able to pull the column housing off and view the cable, they are relatively straight forward to change but i cant say what price they would be to replace

Many thanks Nadger!

Sounds like I should be able to order a replacement one from the stealer (Ben Dover) and fit it myself with 'relative ease' hopefully!?

Have you (or anyone else) actually had to do this too?

Cheers

BigJ.

done a couple of polos and a golf 4. i dont see any reason for it to be much different to be honest, once the column shroud is off you should be able to see what its all about, plus you may just find a bad connection or knick in the wire.