JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Scotland for a week or so

I want your faulty electronics

Status

Scotland for a week or so

Not sure where to put this but this does seem like the right place and people to ask.

Me and the wife (if she says yes) are off to Scotland mid September for a 2 week road trip.

We are leaving Devon on Monday and heading for the Lake district for a couple of days and then on to Scotland for the remainder of the our time.

We've not really set out any plan of action or where to go. Just going to wing it really.

After Bordster's post (here) we are going to take the Mofat to Leadburn road and in to Edinburgh. After that we are open to ideas and suggestions from you all.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

Gievf Buckets

Status
    you should goto glamis castle if at all possible it is stunning and a good tour

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Scott.....pop in and say hello mate as I live slap bang on the A701 just outside Blythbridge. Easy to find. You'll love the road, twisty and very quick. Stop off at the 'Devils Beef-Tub' aswell after you go thro Moffat and just take in the scenery. If your lucky you might see some low-flying planes that literally fly below you as they use the end of the valley as target practise. Im getting married on the 15th September and off to the Maldives for 2 weeks so might miss you. Drop me a PM when your coming though. We might still be here.

As for things to do well all depends on what you like really. See the sights in Edinburgh and if you can go up North up the A9 to Aviemore and the Cairngoms and then Inverness. Do the Whiskey trail if your into that. You wont be bored I can tell you that.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Status

My Social Networking

If you do go up North and up to Inverness nip over to Skye but take the back road from Inverness to Skye. This is classed as one of the best biking roads in Europe. You'll see why IF you do go.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PH1L View Post
    you should goto glamis castle if at all possible it is stunning and a good tour
    Added on the list.
    See what the misses thinks.
    I like castles and museums, that looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Scott.....pop in and say hello mate as I live slap bang on the A701 just outside Blythbridge. Easy to find. You'll love the road, twisty and very quick. Stop off at the 'Devils Beef-Tub' aswell after you go thro Moffat and just take in the scenery. If your lucky you might see some low-flying planes that literally fly below you as they use the end of the valley as target practise. Im getting married on the 15th September and off to the Maldives for 2 weeks so might miss you. Drop me a PM when your coming though. We might still be here.

As for things to do well all depends on what you like really. See the sights in Edinburgh and if you can go up North up the A9 to Aviemore and the Cairngoms and then Inverness. Do the Whiskey trail if your into that. You wont be bored I can tell you that.
    I will do mate, we should be passing you before the 15th.
    We found a nice place in the lake district to stay at for 2 days, then we are off to Scotland around the 13th.

Cool. Thanks.

Any one know of any places to hire boats for the day?
    I really want to do a boat trip on a Loch.

Status
    Thinking of sites we'd like to see and the suggestions people have made.
    I've come up with this rough idea of what we are doing.
    Stop overs and time will determine how much of this we get to do.

Plymouth, UK to Plymouth, UK - Google Maps

3rd Gear

Status
    A couple of thoughts to adjust your route a little

From Coupar Angus (or from 'J' head north to Kirriemuir, then the A926 to Blaigowrie) head north via Blairgowrie and the A93 to Braemar instead of the A9.
    The road through the Grampians is nothing short of stunning. Great driving roads through the mountains, and the boys-in-blue aren't conducting 'nick-the-tourist' campaigns every other day like they do on the A9.

Then from Braemar toward Ballater, seeing a little of Royal Deeside, then take a left turn onto the A939 to Grantown-on-Spey via the famous Tomintoul road. You quickly understand why it is the first road to be closed every winter - it's breath-takingly open and exposed! You then rejoin the A9 via Carrbridge on the A938.

This diversion should only add about 2 hours to your original route and is well worth it.

One thing to bear in mind is the roads up here are not as fast as down south once you get up past Perth. You will take longer to get anywhere - especially on the West coast roads!

Whatever roads you take, you should have a great time on the Northern roads, and the scenery is great.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of Distilleries around Grantown you might want to visit enroute!
    Last edited by PAULF; 29th August 2012 at 11:58. Reason: Remembered Whisky!!
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi Blue, awaiting stuff to be done!

Status
    Thanks Paul. I've amended my route.

I think its right now.
    The roads do look alot better than the A9.
    Thanks.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULF View Post
    One thing to bear in mind is the roads up here are not as fast as down south once you get up past Perth. You will take longer to get anywhere - especially on the West coast roads!
    The roads are fine, you just need about 600hp to overtake the morons driving along them at 40 for no reason :P

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

3rd Gear

Status
    'course, if you want a REAL road to drive, you can aways visit me (How to replace front and rear suspension parts (with pics)) or if you fancy it in the winter (Advice needed: Steel Wheels and Winter Tyres for my B5 Avant Quattro)

You'll have to post some pics - even if you get Scottish Weather syndrome
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted

Status

My Social Networking

Yeah the A9 can be a nightmare but is also very fast on a good day. There are 2 gatso cameras on it from Perth to Aviemore....1 Northbound and 1 southbound and both visibly painted. What I find funny are the tourists who stop to take photos whenever they see a speed camera sign as they think its a safe place to snap away because its got a picture of a camera on it........doh!!!!

Remember and take your passport and a kilt with you......oh sorry a skirt for the south of the border people as they wont let you in at the border crossing without them.

Status
    'course, if you want a REAL road to drive, you can aways visit me (How to replace front and rear suspension parts (with pics)) or if you fancy it in the winter (Advice needed: Steel Wheels and Winter Tyres for my B5 Avant Quattro)

You'll have to post some pics - even if you get Scottish Weather syndrome
    Wow, Thats some snow.
    We like snow but Audrey is not very good in the snow. lol

What is Scottish Weather syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Yeah the A9 can be a nightmare but is also very fast on a good day. There are 2 gatso cameras on it from Perth to Aviemore....1 Northbound and 1 southbound and both visibly painted. What I find funny are the tourists who stop to take photos whenever they see a speed camera sign as they think its a safe place to snap away because its got a picture of a camera on it........doh!!!!
    That's just stupid.
    I'll try not to do it.

What is the weather going to be like in the middle of September up round my route?
    The misses has a stupid blood (Raynaud's phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and not sure if I need to pack loads of warm items for her.

Map updated.

Don't forget lads, I drive a TDI Automatic avant. So driving fast or sporty is not an option. Relaxed chilled it my driving style.

5th Gear

Status
    The amendments made to your route are the roads which i rate as some of the best in scotland and if you can try the kyle of lochalsh road to skye. As for weather you may be very lucky and get the summer weather as last year september was better than july august.

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    Wow, Thats some snow.
    We like snow but Audrey is not very good in the snow. lol

That's just stupid.
    I'll try not to do it.

What is the weather going to be like in the middle of September up round my route?
    The misses has a stupid blood (Raynaud's phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and not sure if I need to pack loads of warm items for her.

Map updated.

Don't forget lads, I drive a TDI Automatic avant. So driving fast or sporty is not an option. Relaxed chilled it my driving style.
    Basicaly you will see all 4 seasons in 1 day, especially up near the Lecht area (Tamintoul road), i would take shorts as well as a Berghuas as you will probably use them both during your time here.

Welcome to Scotland! Gods country, crazy weather:-)

l 5tuy

Status
    summer suit case and winter suit case. lol
    Good job I got a roof box.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post

The misses has a stupid blood (Raynaud's phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Raynauds is the posh name for it!

We got married 25th September in Aberdeenshire a couple of years back, and it was the hottest day of the year - mid-twenties. Alternatively it can be freezing. Check the forecast, but DO bring some warm clothing regardless. Something water-proof would be a smart plan too (Drowning is another name for Scottish Weather syndrome)

Your Misses should be fine. I was diagnosed with Raynauds Syndrome (no disease) in my teens.My fingertips used to go grey-black at random cold times. It went away after 10 years or so.
    Gloves are good, and alcohol helped - Dr suggested brandy - but I would suggest the distilleries along your route!

Status

My Social Networking

Remember mozzie repellant coz if you go west coast you'll get eaten alive. Different breed of mozzies over there. Hard as nails.

Short Back

Status
    I was in the Lakes a couple of weeks ago w\ mrs. There's a lovely steam yacht on Coniston Water called 'The Gondola'. A trip around the lake on that is a pleasure ...the weight of it means it's not affected by choppiness ...or crazy kids on their catamaran sailing dinghy's losing control & ramming into the side! I think the Capt. had more steam coming out of his ears than the boat after that.

The road between Windermere & Ullswater takes you up through low clouds on damp days, the scenery can be stunning on clear days.

Also Aira Force waterfall up near Ullswater is a little climb, but it's worth it ...the sheer force of the (orange\brown) water coming over the falls is amazing & at the top there's a little fresh water spring feeding into it.

Pack your shower coat & hiking boots.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Scottish Road Trip - Great route with pics. - PassionFord

I know youve already merged a lot of this into your route, but useful link.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    I was in the Lakes a couple of weeks ago w\ mrs. There's a lovely steam yacht on Coniston Water called 'The Gondola'. A trip around the lake on that is a pleasure ...the weight of it means it's not affected by choppiness ...or crazy kids on their catamaran sailing dinghy's losing control & ramming into the side! I think the Capt. had more steam coming out of his ears than the boat after that.

The road between Windermere & Ullswater takes you up through low clouds on damp days, the scenery can be stunning on clear days.

Also Aira Force waterfall up near Ullswater is a little climb, but it's worth it ...the sheer force of the (orange\brown) water coming over the falls is amazing & at the top there's a little fresh water spring feeding into it.

Pack your shower coat & hiking boots.
    That sounds nice.
    I'll add it to the list.

Thanks.

Turbo Sport

Status
    If you get a chance try get over to Oban & Fort William, and as mentioned also if up north come down the whisky trail (let the mrs drive free samples lol) also loch lomand is a nice drice .
    not sure if still on here , but there was a guy on here called stevie rev-head he is/was the head chef at the "famous gouse" muesem and managed to get us a free tour on a audi day out ! it was a great day .have a great time in Scotland just remeber as previously mentioned life is about 10mph slower up here so sit back and enjoy !
    Last edited by fallmonk; 1st September 2012 at 17:26. Reason: Bad SPLLEING ;-0
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

Status
    Less than a week.
    Can't wait.

Thanks for the info people.
    Artimus likes this.

Clutching at straws

Status
    If you get a change get yourself along the 'Duke's Pass' (A821) around the Aberfoyle area taking in Loch Venachar and Loch Achray
    Google Maps
    Quite simply stunning scenery and lovely driving roads...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

If you do manage to head up towards Skye you MUST go to APPLECROSS and take the 'unclassified' mountain road over the hills.....;-) (I'm sure a few of the guys on here will agree)
    Google Maps
    Driving up Bealach na Ba (Pass Of The Cattle)(Applecross Road) - YouTube

I used to take the motorbike up there and it just INCREDIBLE ;-)
    MY11 | A3 | 2.0 TDI (170) | Quattro | Black Edition | Ibis White

Growing Old Disgracefully

Prepairing to Land

Status
    On the whisky front Glenfiddich has to be one of the best tours you can do. The cooperage isn't far away either

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty0189 View Post
    On the whisky front Glenfiddich has to be one of the best tours you can do. The cooperage isn't far away either
    Ha! I see your Glenfiddich (although it is closer to Scotts route), and raise you a Glendronach (It's within 10 minutes fast driving of home - and if you go there Scott, you'll HAVE to stop by me!!)

I would also like to note the Aberdeen had the hottest day of 2012 yesterday (25.something), so it's looking good for your trip...........

(BTW are you PlastiDipping the family before you come up as Midge protection?)
    Last edited by PAULF; 4th September 2012 at 01:19.

Fired Up!
    Funky Pong Champion

Status
    If i was home, you could come to the seaside to see me, recently moved to a place called Largs!

As for a boat excursion, visit Loch Lommond, dunno if boats are out is Sept usually, but its a beautiful place and some nice roads around it too, best on a sunny day!

Project RS28 build
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...1-Project-RS28

German cowboy walks into a car showroom and says "Audi".......

Status
    Ha! I see your Glenfiddich (although it is closer to Scotts route), and raise you a Glendronach (It's within 10 minutes fast driving of home - and if you go there Scott, you'll HAVE to stop by me!!)

I would also like to note the Aberdeen had the hottest day of 2012 yesterday (25.something), so it's looking good for your trip...........

(BTW are you PlastiDipping the family before you come up as Midge protection?)
    If we are passing and you're free, I guess we could pop in and say hello.

And no, the plasti dip is staying at home or on the car. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmeister View Post
    If i was home, you could come to the seaside to see me, recently moved to a place called Largs!

As for a boat excursion, visit Loch Lommond, dunno if boats are out is Sept usually, but its a beautiful place and some nice roads around it too, best on a sunny day!
    Someone best have boats, I want/need a boat damn it!!

BTW, we don't like whisky.

Status

My Social Networking

Well I just had Scott and his missus pop in for a couple of hours as they trek their way up the mighty Scotland. Was good to meet him and his better half and put a face to the name. The A701 did put a smile on his face. I do believe he brought the weather with him aswell as its still sunny here. Enjoy the rest of your holiday mate.

Status

Re: Scotland for a week or so

Nice to meet you to mate.
    Love your place, stunning views and right next to an amazing road.

We should have gone out in your S3.

We are currently staying in a pod at glenshee.
    Amazing place, amazing views.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1347478946024.jpg  
    Brodster likes this.

Status

Currently in Kinloss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1347563250851.jpg  

Status

My Social Networking

Was gonna pop in yesterday on my 420 mile round trip as I was in Lossiemouth but was kinda pushed for time. Enjoy buddy.

3rd Gear

Status
    Sounds like you're having a great run.

I hope you realise we WILL be expecting a shedload of pics in a thread.

Status

Some random phone pics.
    Left my camera at home.

But we have a few good ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1347617020419.jpg  

Status

My Social Networking

That be Loch Ness then???

Status

That it is.
    Got out of the car a couple of times but it's far to windy. So left and carried on to Skye.
    We are sat here waiting for some food now.

It is truly beautiful up here.
    Bits reminds ne of a higher version of Dartmoor.

We will come again I think.
    Off to Dundee tomorrow I think. Not sure, see what happens.

Staying in a B&B tonight. Proper bed and a proper shower. Can't wait.. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1347625155686.jpg  

Status

My Social Networking

At least its not leathering it down with rain...........could be the start of the Summer as the sun has been out for 2 days now.....here's hoping.

Status
    I'm back.

Enjoyed Scotland, great views.

Thanks for the people.

I'll get pics up later.
    Brodster likes this.

Status
    Glad you enjoyed. We do have some stunning views, and many fantastic roads. x
    Aly likes this.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

Status

My Social Networking

Glad you enjoyed the motherland Scott. Its not as bad as everyone makes out and we can be real polite when we want to be. Get some pics up of your travels.

Status
    I'll shift my ass and get some info up today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast