Fitting of RNS-E to new A3 8P Black Edition

danA3T

Reaction score
Hi guys--

I've just ordered a new 8P Black Edition which comes as standard with the double DIN Concert headunit (Concert III ?)

I'd like to retro-fit the RNS-E as I didn't fancy the crazy pricetag on the Audi options list, however, I'm not entriely confident I won't make a ****** of it (especially doing it in a new car), plus I'm unsure if I need the "Chrome Version" of RNS-E or if I'll need VAG-COM to do any coding (which I don't have).

Any recommendations of how to get it fitted if I source the bits? I'm in Leeds, West Yorks and would appreciate the advice. Would I be right in saying if I source the parts then the supplying dealer wouldn't be able or wouldn't want to fit RNS-E for me as it requires harness adapters (from kufatec.de)? I presume I'll need this as I've spec'd the car to come with Bluetooth+iPod Dock+Bose?

Apologies for the questions but I've read through the FAQs and can't find any reference? Also - will I need the Chrome version or not.

Reactions: XIIIMUF
I've had a read of that thanks -- though I'm still unclear as to the need for VAG-COM coding (though this guy suggests not) and how to maintain compatibility with the iPod, Bose and Bluetooth.

that, and I am very concerned that I might make a **** up of it!

Thanks for the tip, anyone else used s8craig's services? I emailled Kufatec about my config (for an adaptor) and they said they were unable to help. Agh! It looks like it's going to be a lot harder than I thought to accomplish this mod. I've also seen reference to "moving pins" to keep my BOSE working as well.

I dropped a brand new RNS-E into my 59plate and had no issues what so ever. Everything worked fine and required no VAG-COM. Only thing i had to do was change some of the pins for the BOSE and the aux.

I dropped a brand new RNS-E into my 59plate and had no issues what so ever. Everything worked fine and required no VAG-COM. Only thing i had to do was change some of the pins for the BOSE and the aux.

That's good to hear - how did you find out what pins needed to go where etc? Do you have bluetooth as well?

Hi Dan,

If you have BOSE you need to move the BOSE pin, move the aux pins into the rnse av connector (you need to buy one from Audi) code the unit properly and the car too. I have VCDS and am not too far away from you. I could even do it for you if you like (beer tokens accepted!!)
You may also want to mod your antenna system if you have degraded FM reception. There's a long post on that on here, vagoc.co.uk and audiforums.us

Last edited:
Hi John, thanks for the offer! I might just have to take you up on that (I'm always a fan of beer tokens myself)

I can't find any more info anywhere on moving the BOSE pin, you're also the first one to tell me about the RNS-E AV Adaptor. My google skills and forum searching isn't doing me any favours!

Dan

(Sorry for delay in getting back to you, been away a few days)

Bose pin move as follows...
Quadlock.jpg

If you want to keep the AUx inputs then you'll need one of these...
1J0-972-977G.jpg

Hi all

I have installed a RNS-E 2008 retrofit into my 07 S3, replacing my Concert 2, and my BOSE sounds fine ? Do I still need to move the BOSE pin??? I also haven't had any Vag Com coding applied??? Literally plug and play???

Anyone advise????????

I'd advise move the bose pin, code the car and code the unit for the options on your car. In my mind this is the only way to do it.
Other may tell you to leave it as it works, but it's your call, it's your car.

Any one in London area fancy doing this for me in exchange for beer tokens as I have no clue how and dont want to risk really messing something up? I am hopeless with computers and sure this would take someone 10 minutes compared to the 3 weeks it would take me

Thanks

How did you get on fitting the satnav? I own a new 8P Black Edition which comes as standard with the double DIN Concert II with bose sound. Just got a RNS-E from a 2009 with the hope of doing a DIY fit. Any advise, hope all that is needed is to change BOSE pin No.5 pin to No.7? JOB DONE, or is it?? Any advise would be helpful.

Your antenna system will be incorrect for the rns-e so radio stations may suffer sometimes, but overall its almost plugnplay but I strongly advise a vagcom scan.

AJSOMER did you get it fitted or still need someone.

I can't be of much more help at the mo, andy, as I'm still waiting on the arrival of my motor (I asked preemptively) but the lads on here especially Nhn know their onions. It'll be mod no.1 straight out the door when I get it.

Not fitted yet, maybe someone will help me with this, as I have no idea with vagcom? I was hoping it would just a pin change.

I have a mate whose in Coalville who will help, if you're happy to goto him as him coming to you will cost you more, I'll ask him to PM you.

OK sent him a message, he'll PM you as soon as he sees it.

What parts do I need to get to have the correct antenna system?

000 098 652A 1.5m female to female Fakra cable (you can get away with a 1m cable, 000 098 652) (£12)
000 098 692 30 cm male to male Fakra adaptor (£12)
8P4 035 225B Upper antenna amp (£14)
8P4 035 225 Lower antenna amp (£150)
1C0 973 119B Three pin connector housing x2 (£1.50 each)
000 979 009 Repair wires x3 (£1.20 each, cut them in half to give 6 wires)

Covered here in detail...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...ting-symphony-II-antenna-system-use-with-RNSe

The very man to advise on the antenna system, cant get better than John.

Afternoon John.

All this antenna issues are putting me off installing the RNS-E, it think I will install it and see if I can live with the degraded FM reception before updating the VAGCOM. If the poor reception becomes an issue, I think I will put the concert III back in?

Did you have antenna issues (poor FM reception) after installing your RNS-E unit? I have a 10plate with Bose and ipod, all this antenna issues are putting me off.

TBH mate there are a load of members with rns installed using the wrong antenna system & they seem to be ok with it, just install & if it bothers you update the antennas, the difference in use of the 2 units is fairly substantial, feature list is far superior with the RNS, I can assure you, you wont go back to concert once rns is in.

Yeah & what a morning so far, but the client paid the bill so success today, it was that or loose there email/efax systems at midnight lmfao

Yeah & what a morning so far, but the client paid the bill so success today, it was that or loose there email/efax systems at midnight lmfao

That's always a good motivator to make a client get their cheque book out!

Do I need one of connector to keep my ipod working, or is this just for the aux stocket?

Sorry, two kids playing up during this. Just need to know will I need a 32-pin female B6/B7 cluster connector block to keep my ipod working?

He has keys & I have an antenna cable I can send to him as in gps I assume or did you order these bits already, also are you installing it or is he?

just replied to your pm, if you want, ive got keys and we could use my antenna etc to fit yours and get you coded and all up and running.

Hi,
Spoke to guy on the phone and he is very confident in getting the pin code, all being well I shoud have the satnav fitted mid week. However there are few questions I still have which you may be able to help me with.
1. Where is the best place to locate the gps antenna on the 8P model, there is no room back of the clocks?
2. I need to relocate wire 5 into 7 for bose, but if there is a wire in 7 were do I locate this as I need to tken this out for the bose wire?
3. If all is working OK after the install, why do I need to have the unit setup & coded using VAG-COM?
4. If I fit the unit OK, and what the RNS-E coded using VAG-COM, what would be the cost for you to code the unit with the car?

GPS antenna stuck to the dash above glovebox of course hidden.

You need to check what the spare wire was before you moved it to see if its detrimental & if it needs to be moved itself to another location.

Vagcom is always suggested to make sure there are no untoward faults arisen from the install & to properly code features on the unit & associated modules, do as you like but I would always suggest a vagcom scan when installing these units.

You need to ask the coding person directly via PM what the cost would be, not on the open forum as its a personal deal.

On the concert 3, block C, pin 7, it is marked K-LTG (is this the K-Line?). If I do not move this pin it will go to the RNS-E, block C (Mic In +) is this correct. Or should I move it to block B, pin 5 marked K line? Sorry for all the questions.