DAB for RNS-e

big.buoy

Reaction score
I am really curious as to why DAB is not available on all VAG models.

Lesser manufacturers (sorry for the snobbery) already supply optional DAB Audio systems, Vauxhall is just one example.

I spent a lot of money on my A4 Cab with the RNS-e Navigation system and would love to think there may be something out there that will connect to it.

Are there any 3rd party DAB modules that work in conjunction with the VAG Audio systems that integrate themselves? Similar to the bluetooth modules that work with the head units.

Would anyone in the know have any suggestions about this. I find it incredible that we are not far off from the digital switch over and these premium cars are still supplied with 70's FM technology. The cynic in me tells me that it will be a way of making serious money from us when the change over occurs. :no:

Besides the DAB technology has been around for a while I am surprised AUDI haven't made this available by now anyway.

I'd really love to have some feedback on this as I do like to listen to a wide variety of stuff when driving.

Thanks and regards

Jason

PS I wait with baited breath over the A5 Convertible that will be sweet...rumour has it it will replace the A4 Cabriolet, is this true??

2007 A4 Cabriolet S Line 2.0 TDi (not yet re-mapped)
2005 VW Touran 1.9 SE

As the A4 is being phased out in favour of the B8 chassis (A5) in an A4 body shell, then thats why the DAB module has not been made available.

Why spend the money when it can be used as a market differentiator, you want DAB, then buy an A5/A6 or wait for the new A4, I think that is Audi's point of view.

It's a poor show from Audi, especially as American A4's are satellite radio capable. You'd have to fit something like this:

http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/in-car.php

Its not ideal as it still requires an extra unit in the car, as far as I know there is nothing available like the BT units that will fully integrate and hide away.

Well you're right that it is poor show from Audi, there are thousands of VAG owners who would rather have a built in system that integrates with the existing units than have the add on units like revos cluttering up the dash.

Surely Audi wouldn't be so naive as to think that people would stump up all that extra cash for an A6 or above just for the DAB and besides the A4 Cab is the only large open top Audi make so they are penalising people for their choices...it's outrageous!

Although there isn't a definite date for DAB switch over, I wouldn't be surprised if things happen soon after DVB....I hope that there may be someone like revo who take advantage of VAG's apathy and manufacture such a device that integrates with the current audio system, it couldn't be too difficult could it?

Anyway guys, thanks for your replies, I do look forward to others out there who may have other ideas.

BTW, I was State-side last July driving a car with Satellite radio and it was very good indeed, puts our system to shame.

Regards

Jason:hi:

Any further news to add to this ? Cos I would really like to integrate DAB into my RNS-e.

how's this for a workaround: £300 for a digital Freeview TV tuner, which I think includes some radio stations?

whoops looks more like £600-£700 if you want the full freeview / DAB tuner inc installation...

The freeview TV tuner does not provide DAB radio it provides DVB Audio, they are totally different things. Do not expect the freeview radio channels to stay listenable whilst moving like DAB does. It just doesn't work reliably enough to be a digital radio solution.

and again.... thanks s8craig.... I thought they were comparable quality audi, but it does make sense... back to the Pure Highway mounted in the cubby hole then....