Badger5Volks Autos
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Olly_K's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    2,643

    RNS-D Hidden Options

    This section describes some of the hidden abilities of the Nav Plus system. Care should be taken with these menus as they are designed for service personal. You can cause your Nav Plus to not work with incorrect use.

    Tuner Functions:

    Tuner Menu One:

    Press and hold the "Tone" button until it beeps. (about 10 seconds). This will display test parameters for the tuner. The field strength can be used to verify your antennas are working correctly. A setting of about 200 to 250 seems normal for FM, and about 80-100 for AM.

    Tuner Menu Two:



    After tuner menu one is displayed, press and hold the "Tone" button again until the next menu is displayed.


    Communication and Software Functions:

    Communication Display:



    Display the Navigation screen. Press and hold the "AS" key and the down arrow at the same time.



    This menu displays how the Nav Plus system is communicating with the other parts of the car. The functions are described below...

    Logbook: An optional piece of hardware which allows you to program routes and upload tracks on a personal computer.
    TV Tuner: If you have the newer "B" version of the tuner, it should show up here.

    CAN Gateway: The TMC (traffic message channel) box. The TMC doesn't do much in North America. If you have one, it should say OK.
    Telematics: Not used in North America. This is affected by adaption channel 6.

    Multi Function Steering Wheel: Not used in North America, at least on A4's. Some of you with A6's and A8's will be able to make this work. (see "programming your car" elsewhere on the site.)

    Voice Control: An optional module that allows you to speak commands to the Nav Plus unit. Great for dialing the optional phone that nobody has.

    Dash Panel: Should say OK. The picture has a warning "Switch on term.15!" because I didn't have my ignition turned on when I took this shot.

    If any of the settings look wrong, check adaption channel 7 to recode your unit correctly.

    Software Display:



    With the above communication menu displayed, press the right hand knob



    This menu displays the software revisions of your Nav Plus. It's useful for checking to see if the firmware can accept a software update.



    Press the right hand knob one more time.



    The "Stamp" menu item here is interesting. If you don't have the "Nov 15, 2001" software, you can update your unit. This version adds the 50 meter display, the compass and more.




    Press the "Flag" key. (note this only works if you entered the above menus from the Navigation screen.)



    This allows you to see parameters used for the speed sensor (GALA) for the Nav plus.
    The tyre (sic) circumference is the diameter of your tire in mm.
    Some common tire sizes...
    185/65 R15: 1895
    195/65 R15: 1935
    205/60 R15: 1910
    205/55 R16: 1930
    225/45 R17: 1930
    225/40 R18: 1943

    The "Pulses per Revolution" is set depending if your car is using the Gala signal or the ABS signal. For the Gala signal, the correct number is 8, and for older cars using the ABS the correct number is 45.


    Software Updates:

    Updating the firmware:



    With the unit powered off, press and hold the Navigation button and the flag button. Continue to hold these as you power the unit on.



    This menu allows you to update the firmware on your Nav Plus. Currently the Nov 15, 2001 firmware is the latest available. See instructions elsewhere on this site on how to update your software.


    Antenna Control:

    This is only available if you have the optional TV tuner:
    Press and hold the "AM" button and the "TONE" button at the same time.



    This menu allows you to test the television diversity antenna system in your car. You can turn on one antenna at a time to verify each amplifier is working correctly.


    Other Tricks:

    There are a few other tricks hiding in the Nav plus, such as holding the display button for 5 seconds taking you to the contrast menu. You can even change the startup screen with your own picture with a bit of work.
    Last edited by Olly_K; 8th August 2006 at 19:31.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    marmite's Avatar
    Counting the Tesco Club points

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Barnet
    Posts
    1,070
    Now that would be cool to have your own picture on the start up screen!
    How do they do that??
    Audi RS6 Daytona GreyLoving all 455.7BHP of her

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    141
    You need to download a copy of the firmware for your unit and also a copy of Kolumbia from http://www.navi-projekt.de which then allows you to edit the startup screen, you save the modified firmware and flash your unit. That software also allows you to edit the CD menus for phatbox users or there is an alternative program on there for altering the voice prompts although ive not tried that.
    As with all firmware flashing if it goes wrong then your unit usually isnt going to work afterwards.

  5. #4
    marmite's Avatar
    Counting the Tesco Club points

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Barnet
    Posts
    1,070
    Cheers
    Have you changed your start up logo??
    Was it easy?
    I got phat noise in my car, would be nice to see track name, album name but I don't think you can do that on these systems??
    Audi RS6 Daytona GreyLoving all 455.7BHP of her

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    141
    I didnt change the startup screen as I couldnt actually find anything I liked to use as a startup, would have been a case of finding a bmp and importing it into the program which is very easy.
    The only thing I changed is the CD1-CD6 menus to track, genre, album, feature, playlist etc to suit the phatbox menus. As you know the navi+ doesnt support CD-text so wont display track names etc, you have to make do with the audio prompts.
    The hardest part to be honest is the flashing, not so much in that its difficult to do but I was pretty paranoid that I was going to end up with a useless unit.

  7. #6
    cliveh's Avatar
    quattro in the bones

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    You need to download a copy of the firmware for your unit and also a copy of Kolumbia from http://www.navi-projekt.de
    Linky doesnt work - anyone got a current link please?
    S4 B5 saloon, MRC 400+ (450PS), S2 ABY 1995 Coupe, MRC Stage 2, (292PS), S4 B6 avant (stock)
    RS4 B7 phantom black saloon, mint, fully loaded, low mileage - FOR SALE!

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    141
    Did you find a copy?

  9. #8
    ikbenben's Avatar
    Belgium S3 driver

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly_K View Post
    This menu allows you to update the firmware on your Nav Plus. Currently the Nov 15, 2001 firmware is the latest available. See instructions elsewhere on this site on how to update your software.
    Can you tell me where to find it? I've already used the search function but I can't find it anywhere.
    2002 S3 BAM Nogaro Blue | Navigation + | Bose SS
    Samco TIP | Forge DV 007p | R32 ARB's | Powerflex dogbone bushes | H&R monotube coilovers
    waiting for a remap

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    141
    The filename for RNS-D update is AUDIFW2003.zip at least thats the file that I downloaded. Should then just a matter of burning it to CD and then inserting it into the car for the update.

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1

    UPDATE RNS-D

    Do you now how to update the firmware of the rns-d. im ready burn versie 2003 on un 700mb cd sony.

    iam do note now how toe need up to date the navigation plus.


    do you can help m e?

    Quote Originally Posted by Olly_K View Post
    This section describes some of the hidden abilities of the Nav Plus system. Care should be taken with these menus as they are designed for service personal. You can cause your Nav Plus to not work with incorrect use.

    Tuner Functions:

    Tuner Menu One:

    Press and hold the "Tone" button until it beeps. (about 10 seconds). This will display test parameters for the tuner. The field strength can be used to verify your antennas are working correctly. A setting of about 200 to 250 seems normal for FM, and about 80-100 for AM.

    Tuner Menu Two:



    After tuner menu one is displayed, press and hold the "Tone" button again until the next menu is displayed.


    Communication and Software Functions:

    Communication Display:



    Display the Navigation screen. Press and hold the "AS" key and the down arrow at the same time.



    This menu displays how the Nav Plus system is communicating with the other parts of the car. The functions are described below...

    Logbook: An optional piece of hardware which allows you to program routes and upload tracks on a personal computer.
    TV Tuner: If you have the newer "B" version of the tuner, it should show up here.

    CAN Gateway: The TMC (traffic message channel) box. The TMC doesn't do much in North America. If you have one, it should say OK.
    Telematics: Not used in North America. This is affected by adaption channel 6.

    Multi Function Steering Wheel: Not used in North America, at least on A4's. Some of you with A6's and A8's will be able to make this work. (see "programming your car" elsewhere on the site.)

    Voice Control: An optional module that allows you to speak commands to the Nav Plus unit. Great for dialing the optional phone that nobody has.

    Dash Panel: Should say OK. The picture has a warning "Switch on term.15!" because I didn't have my ignition turned on when I took this shot.

    If any of the settings look wrong, check adaption channel 7 to recode your unit correctly.

    Software Display:



    With the above communication menu displayed, press the right hand knob



    This menu displays the software revisions of your Nav Plus. It's useful for checking to see if the firmware can accept a software update.



    Press the right hand knob one more time.



    The "Stamp" menu item here is interesting. If you don't have the "Nov 15, 2001" software, you can update your unit. This version adds the 50 meter display, the compass and more.




    Press the "Flag" key. (note this only works if you entered the above menus from the Navigation screen.)



    This allows you to see parameters used for the speed sensor (GALA) for the Nav plus.
    The tyre (sic) circumference is the diameter of your tire in mm.
    Some common tire sizes...
    185/65 R15: 1895
    195/65 R15: 1935
    205/60 R15: 1910
    205/55 R16: 1930
    225/45 R17: 1930
    225/40 R18: 1943

    The "Pulses per Revolution" is set depending if your car is using the Gala signal or the ABS signal. For the Gala signal, the correct number is 8, and for older cars using the ABS the correct number is 45.


    Software Updates:

    Updating the firmware:



    With the unit powered off, press and hold the Navigation button and the flag button. Continue to hold these as you power the unit on.



    This menu allows you to update the firmware on your Nav Plus. Currently the Nov 15, 2001 firmware is the latest available. See instructions elsewhere on this site on how to update your software.


    Antenna Control:

    This is only available if you have the optional TV tuner:
    Press and hold the "AM" button and the "TONE" button at the same time.



    This menu allows you to test the television diversity antenna system in your car. You can turn on one antenna at a time to verify each amplifier is working correctly.


    Other Tricks:

    There are a few other tricks hiding in the Nav plus, such as holding the display button for 5 seconds taking you to the contrast menu. You can even change the startup screen with your own picture with a bit of work.

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    hello. i need somme help too.. i can't acces the menu for upgrade. i press and hold "flag " button + navigation button, then i press short on power button. the unit start, show me the screen where i need to put the code (and i don't have that code, this is the reason for i neet the update ).
    What button should i press?
    thx

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth England
    Posts
    12
    is there any possibility more light can be shed on the 'antenna control' because the details are fuzzy and i am really trying to get the last out of my analogue signal. Is there anyone out there who has a really good grasp on these units?
    Drive it like you stole it!

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    Why are some pics missing?

  15. #14
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    Original post was back in 2006 I'm surprised any of the images are still showing.

  16. #15
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by mavada View Post
    Why are some pics missing?
    The missing images are just copies of the ones that's displayed.
    You're not missing any thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Original post was back in 2006 I'm surprised any of the images are still showing.
    The images was stored on ASN's servers not a 3rd party server.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  17. #16
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    Still surprised the forum has seen a few upgrades.

  18. #17
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997

    Re: RNS-D Hidden Options

    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Still surprised the forum has seen a few upgrades.
    I was but its great that they are back :-)

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  19. #18
    AviatorRichards3's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    52
    Hi Olly

    I know this thread is extremely old now but I wonder if you could shed some light into this ongoing problem I am having with this unit.

    Not wanting to repeat on lots of different threads ill give you a brief explanation and if you still dont understand, ill PM you the whole shubang so you get the idea.

    Here is my other thread: Audi A3 S3 8L Concert II to Double Din RNS-D Rare Satnav Installed in a 2002 Audi S3

    Basically I hand the Concert II stereo in my 2002 audi S3, and I wanted to change to the Symphony II RND-D Nav unit.

    I had some help through members on here, and fitted the thing, to the book..left nothing unattached...

    On powering the unit up, I realised I had no radio. Thinking I had left it unplugged, I checked but everything is is, and I get hardly any reception at all (everything worked perfectly with the old concert setup)

    Now I went through trying different things, as I thought the radio part of my new unit may be duff, but when I put a screw driver into the back part, the signal becomes a lot better and I can get some local station in perfect quality. In talking to various people, I get the impression that my unit is fine, and that either their is a break in the line somewhere or that perhaps my FM boosters which are connected to the rear heated screen in the back window were broken/ or the lines that go across the window have a bit missing....

    So I took the trim off the back and exposed what should be two FM boosters but I only seem to have one soldered to the windscreen. The odd thing: there is no sign of another one ever being connected as there is no excess wiring for the Arial to plug into two FM boosters, just the one booster.

    Now someone messaged me saying their could be some settings to enable high power antenna in the RNSD as clearly mine is not picking up enough...could you perhaps shed some light on my situation?

    Anton

  20. #19
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    64
    Blast from the past!


    How do you update the rnsd?

  21. #20
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  22. #21
    AviatorRichards3's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    52
    Does anyone know of any high power aerial settings in this unit?

 

 

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 5th October 2012, 22:47
  2. 27th September 2012, 09:13
  3. 1st September 2012, 12:50
  4. 21st August 2012, 19:19
  5. 20th July 2012, 10:25
  6. 18th March 2012, 18:22
  7. 8th March 2012, 16:34
  8. 1st March 2012, 11:13
  9. 15th October 2011, 16:15
  10. 28th July 2011, 13:41
  11. 14th July 2011, 09:20
  12. 11th July 2011, 12:11
  13. 9th July 2011, 13:05
  14. 10th June 2011, 18:17
  15. 4th June 2011, 10:06
  16. 19th May 2011, 22:55
  17. 14th May 2011, 20:23
  18. 3rd April 2011, 18:44
  19. 10th February 2011, 19:54
  20. 6th February 2011, 18:50
  21. 20th December 2010, 10:29
  22. 26th November 2010, 21:57
  23. 5th November 2010, 22:59
  24. 10th October 2010, 13:30
  25. 31st August 2010, 19:04
  26. 31st August 2010, 11:16
  27. 28th August 2010, 16:14
  28. 28th August 2010, 09:10
  29. 24th August 2010, 21:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO