MMI WiFi hotspot advice

Reaction score
When I had a C7 A6 as a courtesy car a few months ago, my old phone linked up to the bluetooth and gave me Google data (aerial photos on the satnav, etc) and I'm pretty sure the WiFi hotspot options were all available.

Although very old, that previous phone had CyanogenMod7 (Android), my new phone is an HTC One X+ is also an Android, but the HTC version of Jellybean, but apparently doesn't allow the features that I need to allow this data hook-up.

Will it work if I get the latest CyanogenMod for it or is the phone hardware somehow restricting it?!?

Last edited:
Your phone must have the rSAP or remote SIM acceess profile to allow you to use the online services and the wifi hotspot.

I would check if the new ROM has this support or checkout the rSAP application from the android market.

D'oh! I keep forgetting that Apple might have coined the phrase, there's an app for that, but Android then went and did it PROPERLY! :)

Thanks Craig!!

Had to read this again to understand it as I thought it had a sim slot for its own data connection which then provided a wifi ap for your tablet, laptop etc as such, but from my understanding & correct if I'm wrong, the rsap connects the handset & phonebook to the phone to provide a data link, then the wifi ap on car goes through the rsap connection as such to use the phones data connection on the cellular network?

It can do it both ways, but not at the same time. So if you put a SIM in the slot you cannot use your phones bluetooth for calls, so a bit defeating.

So the best solution is a phone that works with decent rSAP. Then you get everything, texts, calls, google on the MMI and your phone can continue to use the car as a hotspot and get email and net access.

if you put a SIM in the slot you cannot use your phones bluetooth for calls, so a bit defeating.

I heard about that! Really puzzling.... hopefully there will be a software update that fixes that as it really sounds like an oversight to me: I'd love to have a "3" or EE sim card in the car, but I value my actual calls to much, so I need to keep Vodafone for voice and text connectivity.

Weird, I've got my Nexus4 unlocked, rooted (confirmed with rootchecker), CyanogenMod10.1 installed... rSAP installed, complete with the Nexus4 installer pack.

I've run the rSAP install system files and downloaded and installed the app, but when I sync the phone on bluetooth, it only allows Handsfree.

Even when I can see the phone is connected via Bluetooth, in the rSAP app, it says "Bluetooth Disconnected" and "SIM State: Normal" - it just doesn't look like rSAP is being enabled properly since I never see the option to connect a CarPhone, only HandsFree.

Last edited:
The admin (and developer) on rSAP has been incredibly helpful, quite literally writing custom patches and bug-fixes specifically for my CyanogenMod'd NExus 4 and Audi MMI unit!