RNS-E Random Reboot with 2012 Disc

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
Hi.

I bought an RNS-E a couple of months ago with a DVD-R disc inside (2011 maps, I think). I got a couple of read errors so I thought I'd buy a genuine disc.

I picked up a 2012 Western Europe disc from eBay for £60.

Several times today the unit's stopped, screen goes blank for a second and it comes back on again like when the car's first started.

Can anyone shed some light please?

I think it's a Mk. 1 unit.

£60 for a genuine 2012 dvd is cheap, cheap to the point I'd think it was a copy.

I would give the laser head a clean with a cotton bud, remove lid of rns, 5 screws, dab bud on tonge so its minorly damp, rub bud over laser head, turning bud to make sure its not rubbing same dirt back on, clean the laser head with dry end & test again.

If still an issue then I'd say its either been trying to update firmware although 2011 mk1 firmware is identical to 2012 tbh & its caused an issue, dodgy dvd or the drive has an issue.

If its a problem, then I can take a look at it for you.

Thanks.

I thought it might be something to do with the firmware update at first but it hasn't done anything which suggested anything was being updated.

I'll try a few things, including your suggestion.

Ruddy Norah!

I cleaned the lens but that didn't help and now it's gone bat-**** mental.

The last couple of days it's been starting and rebooting several times a second so the screen flickers and the speakers pop.

I pulled the power out last night and plugged the cable back in and it was fine. However, the rebooting and flickering returned this morning so I unplugged it and plugged it back in again after work and the screen stayed blank but the radio came on really loud. The buttons were unresponsive so I had to yank the cable out again.

I think I need to get VCDS on it and see if there are any codes.

I wouldn't mind the lack of music but it keeps raining and I can't open the windows to hear the Milltek.

You can always send it to me to see if I can repair it, I can downgrade firmware & test it & go from there.

Ruddy Norah!

I cleaned the lens but that didn't help and now it's gone bat-**** mental.

The last couple of days it's been starting and rebooting several times a second so the screen flickers and the speakers pop.

I pulled the power out last night and plugged the cable back in and it was fine. However, the rebooting and flickering returned this morning so I unplugged it and plugged it back in again after work and the screen stayed blank but the radio came on really loud. The buttons were unresponsive so I had to yank the cable out again.

I think I need to get VCDS on it and see if there are any codes.

I wouldn't mind the lack of music but it keeps raining and I can't open the windows to hear the Milltek.

Hello .. I realize I'm reviving a very old thread but I've searched around and this is the only case I can find with any progress.
My RNS-E unit is doing the exact same thing. It used to reboot--sometimes just restart, but most times it would update the firmware before restarting... randomly. The last time it updated the firmware it failed and now the unit won't boot up. Now I just get a black screen. If I pull the power and plug it back in, sometimes the radio comes on at full volume but nothing displays on the screen and the buttons are unresponsive. I'm wondering if you ever made any further progress with your unit.

Thanks,
Brian

Welcome to the site Brian.

Looks like its corrupted now mate, ideally needs looking at & several things doing, you have various options, I could come out (location dependent) & strip, clean the lens & try to reflash the unit to fix or consider upgrading or you could send to me to look at.

PM me if of interest :)

Welcome to the site Brian.

Looks like its corrupted now mate, ideally needs looking at & several things doing, you have various options, I could come out (location dependent) & strip, clean the lens & try to reflash the unit to fix or consider upgrading or you could send to me to look at.

PM me if of interest :)

Sure .. come on over. I'm in Toronto. :)
Seriously though, rather than ship it to the UK--if it's that messed up--then perhaps it makes sense to replace the unit. Do you have them available?

Thanks again,
Brian

I did! But coincidentally it's just started happening again.

I sent it off to 'NHN' and he did a few things like cleaning the lens, resetting the software, etc. He had it on his test bench for a several hours and it worked so he sent it back (this was November) and its been fine until just a couple of weeks ago.

Like you I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem. Does your screen flicker? It's really quick so I can't always see it in daylight but definitely can at night.

I spoke to him again and he said it's probably the DVD drive on its way out. It's a bit pants if a failing optical drive takes the whole system down like that but I don't know what else it could be.

It cost me £100 in labour and postage costs to get it repaired last time and the cost of buying a new drive and getting it fitted would be double that so it's not worth spending any more money on it. I don't particularly want to spend another £300 on an eBay one and have it fail on me so I'm thinking about getting a Mk II unit from 'NHN' instead. At least then I'd have an upgrade for my money (SDHC drive and hi-res display) as well as peace of mind. It is double the cost of a Mk I though.

I know a lot of people would just buy after-market equipment. I used to do my own installations but don't want the hassle of the rewiring and replacing of the various components.

Thanks for the reply. My screen does flicker--like you said, I can see it in the dark mostly. I'm in Toronto, so shipping the unit overseas and back would be costly for me. I will probably upgrade as I've been wanting the MK2 anyway, but agree with you on the cost; after just replacing the suspension in my Allroad, I was hoping to just get my unit working again for a while! Anyway, it stinks not having a working console so I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.
Take care,
Brian