Activating sat nav dvd

TripleD

Audi S4 Avant Owner
Reaction score
Is it possible to activate a second hand sat nav DVD?

The dealership says it's not possible to activate in another car, but are they just trying to sell a new one?

Am I going to guess which system you're talking about???????

At 2011 the activation was car specific in MMI 3G systems. So if you have a 2011 disk then you can insert it into any 2011 car, but what you can't do is put a 2011 or greater disk into a 2010 car without activation. Each new disk is sold with an activation key and SVM code which makes the update car specific and Audi know what year of navigation you are running.

Reactions: Edmund gill
Okay, so there's no way round activating a 2012 3G mmi DVD in a 2011 or 2010 car?

Damn!

Just thinking about this. As long as I hold the original genuine Audi 2012 DVD, in the original case, with the Navteq license agreement, and am willing to pay Audi to activate, then surely it doesn't matter, they should activate it?

The activation key is a one shot, if it has been used it cannot be used again.

So as long as your sure it has never been used then yes it will work.

So as there was no activation key in the box at all, then Audi can't activate it, but the DVD itself is just generic.

The main HU has a record of what databases are licensed on the unit, by region and year. But it's not something that can be changed. Also all updates are also recorded in the GEKO database back at Audi in Germany.

So if you try to upgrade with a disk it will appear to start loading, get to about 70% and then fail with "Invalid Database" or something similar.

If I could add to this, I have an RNS-E which I bought a Nav DVD for a few months ago for £30, I can only assume it's a snide copy (bought from a website that looked OKish? lol) Recently the RNS-E keeps sorta crashing, coming up with a red error message 'DVD is unreadable' - am I right to assume that this is because it's a snide disc, and if so where can I buy a proper one from at a decent price?

Thanks for any help!

copied disks should work fine, i'm using my backup copy in my car so my orignal can stay safe in the house ;)

Copied disks are hit and miss, I run a copied 2012 RNS-E disk (although this thread is nothing to do with RNS-E, it is to do with MMI 3G activation) It works fine, but recently has been slow to respond, looking at the disk it has some patches on it, so replaced it again and all is well. I have put copied into some RNS-E units and they wont read at all, regardless of the quality of disk. So you pays your money you take the risk.

Thanks for the reply S8craig, you're a true gent! Any hints as to where to pick up a decent copy from?

OK, I bought a 2010 copy of the NAV discs from Ebay, and it won't load, it gives the same 'DVD is unreadable' message :( Am I right to assume that there's a problem with the disc drive then?

OK, I bought a 2010 copy of the NAV discs from Ebay, and it won't load, it gives the same 'DVD is unreadable' message :( Am I right to assume that there's a problem with the disc drive then?

What was the sellers feedback like? If it reads the previous disc fine then rule out the drive.

Feedback is good, and it throws up the same problem as the previous disc, although with the previous disc it would only happen intermittently whereas with this one it just won't read it at all?

Remove the rns-e, take the lid of via 5 screws, dvd drive no doubt will be encased in a thin plastic housing, you can reach through this from the rear fan area iirc, get a cotton bud, dab it on your tongue, rub the laser head, probably be black when removed, dry of with other end of the bud, then test again, worked for me multiple times & others advised.

Dust/dirt builds up with the heat & sits on the head, so just needs a wipe, but dont go in hammer & tongs, just be gentle, slowly wipe, should be fine & dont put a huge dob of spit on end of bud lol.

Last edited:
Thank you VERY much, I'll have a pop at it, I've no idea how to remove it let alone the rest but I'll see how I get on! :lol:

Hi S8craig;

Would you please help

I purchased a reman DVD head from local Audi dealer. installed & found NO LIGHTS indicated on the screen. shown words;SVM activation code required.
Audi dealer said it has be programed by them.
2011 Audi Q5 VIN WA1LFAFP9BA022804
PART# 8T1035664CX

Hi S8craig;

Would you please help

I purchased a reman DVD head from local Audi dealer. installed & found NO LIGHTS indicated on the screen. shown words;SVM activation code required.
Audi dealer said it has be programed by them.
2011 Audi Q5 VIN WA1LFAFP9BA022804
PART# 8T1035664CX

Did they not mention this as time of sale? if not i would try asking them to fit it for you as its not working otherwise. Im pretty sure they wont charge much as you have bought from them

Thank you very much @Audi A3..unfortunately the Audi Q5 is not in the USA. I bought this DVD head assembly for some body in Vietnam. they can not figure it out how to get it work. the local dealer refused to help since they did not sell the DVD( the car was originally imported from CA).
any suggestions? 2011 Audi Q5 4 cylinder. DVD part# 8T1035664CX. after installed. NO lights display, SVM activation code required?
I asked the San Jose,CA Audi where I bought the DVD. they said only the dealer can do that or program that.
Please help............