RNS-E - A Couple of Functionality Questions

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
I've just upgraded the RNS-D to an RNS-E in my S4 but there's a couple of things I want to check:

1. When the unit powers up, the bottom half of the DIS shows the compass point letter and nothing else. I have to toggle the stalk button to get range, MPG, etc. Is that normal? I know which direction I'm driving, I don't know what MPG I'm doing!

2. I find that, when browsing through the directories on the SD card, the screen returns to the currently playing directory far too quickly if I stop moving the dial - sometimes it takes more than 3 seconds to choose when you're also trying to drive. Is there any way to increase the delay?

2. I find that, when browsing through the directories on the SD card, the screen returns to the currently playing directory far too quickly if I stop moving the dial - sometimes it takes more than 3 seconds to choose when you're also trying to drive. Is there any way to increase the delay?

Glad it's not just me that finds this a problem, it's ridiculous that there is no way to increase the amount of time it gives you, it seems almost dangerous to give such a short space of time for you to choose a track!

[/COLOR]...it seems almost dangerous to give such a short space of time for you to choose a track!

Too right! It sounds strange but I kind of panic trying to browse it quickly and that just means my eyes aren't looking where they should be.

Yep, it feels like I should be pulling over just to be able to choose a track or album! Gutted there's no way to solve it! :(

I thought I'd update this tread rather than start another.

A couple more:

1. The brightness control doesn't seem to make any difference (although the 'screen off' function works). Is that normal?
2. When unlocking the car or turning off the ignition, the speakers hiss. My old RNS-D used to make some noise inside the unit but nothing came out of the speakers. Is that normal for the RNS-E?

I have a factory fitted RNS-e with BOSE and yes, the speakers hiss until you turn on the ignition..

I got in the car today and didn't start it and the hiss went away after about a minute.

Then, I opened the door and it started hissing again.

Seems pretty weird to me.

It's only because opening and closing doors makes the car think you may be about to drive, so the NAV get's things ready to roll.

As soon as you press your keyfob to open the door the NAV wakes up and starts getting ready so you can drive off without waiting, quite simple really.

Indeed.

The other thing I noticed relating to sound was that, after muting then unmuting, the volume doesn't return to the same level as before; it goes to the default level (which is too loud when you've got passengers).

I was expecting more control with a newer unit (than the RNS-D) rather than less.

that should not happen, i would ****** if my rns-e did that

Oh, right.

Any idea why that happens? Seems like an odd thing to not function correctly.

It may be that if the volume is louder than the default level, it does return to the previous level but, since the default level is pretty loud already, I usually only have it at the default level or quieter.

I will test.

It may be that if the volume is louder than the default level, it does return to the previous level...

That.

Tests confirm it does return to the previous volume if the previous volume was higher than the default.