SMS through SDS

MartayMcFly

Booooooost
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
At some point last year, I think when my phone updated to windows 7.5 (Mango) my RNS-E/DIS/Bluetooth started dialling 121 (for Vodafone) and then reading out text messages I received. I thought it was just about the most amazing thing of all time until yesterday, after the car had been in for a service on Thursday, I noticed the menu for the service had changed and I now had/have the option to "Reply" to messages I get. It beeps and I can dictate my message, before it reads it back to me to check. I don't know how to put in punctuatuion, but it's still pretty amazing. To me, anyway.

Don't need help or anything, basically just showing off/singing Audi's praise for making me smile on the way to work.

Reactions: Paullie
The BT etc doesnt have sms integration, so its the phone doing this auto mate.

I know the phone is sending the message, but it's the SDS/BT that's operating the voice commands... or is it just like making a call to a remote service that is doing it all? I guess that makes sense. The phone still knows I'm in the car when it does it though.

Just making a call mate, its a dumb telephone interface controlled by the wp7 handset, no sms technology as such, is being utilised by the BT system.

I didn't even think about that being what was going on. Oh well, WP7/HTC/Vodafone FWT!

It sounds pretty special, no matter who's responsible for it, lol. :wub: xx

Maybe cause its only paired to your car lmfao.

Reactions: MartayMcFly
Funny you mentioned this, I was waiting for someone the other day and messing around with the steering wheel controls and I managed to invoke Siri on my iPhone. The DIS displayed 'Voicemail' (There's no address book entry for voicemail in my phone). I've not figured out how I did it yet, but if I can get it to do it again, then composing messages and such through the BT seems realistic...

If you have an rns-e, it has a mailbox number you can store specifically, could be this.

Its not realistic mate, audi BT does not support SMS functionality, also can you imagine using an rns-e dial screen to compose texts, be quicker to drive to that person & give them a personal message.

Do you have an rns-e?

Reactions: IceHanger
Lol, I can imagine how pitiful it would be to try entering a text with the rns-e controls. I don't have an rns-e, it's still on my shopping list tbh but can't decide if I can be bothered with the hassle.

My cars just got the Audi Concert HU, bluetooth, iphone(ipod) dock, the daft audi voice control and multi-function steering wheel. Whatever I managed to do, the car thought I was calling voicemail (from what was in the DIS), but the phone was in 'siri' mode as it made the 'ding' that siri makes and the car was just relaying my voice over the BT to Siri. It'd be immensely useful if I could reproduce what I did to make it work.