RNS-E Problems

monster_munch

Reaction score
I have had RNS-E retro fitted in the last month, by a reputable company with a printed invoice and original code card etc.

They are based in Manchester, so I paid extra for mobile fitting. They fitted the unit, coded it with VCDS on a laptop and its all working fine.

I have an Autel VAG405 scanner and scanned the car last week. There was a few codes under navigation, so I cleared them.
I scanned again today, and the same codes have reappeared.

Can anybody shed any light why they appear, or actually have vcds and able to help?

Thanks in advance.

ImageShack Album - 4 images

dscf1296t.jpg

dscf1297gf.jpg

dscf1298vc.jpg

dscf1299j.jpg

Last edited:
what codes are you getting?

There will be one about the AF Frequency for sure as you need a module to convert from Diversity or whatever its called on the old headunit.. The other one i got when i coded my RNS-E was a short on the front mic which is funny as i dont have a front mic yet (yet to do the bluetooth install..)

Sorry, I have been trying to integrate pictures into the original post by putting them on imageshack and everything but it doesnt seem to work!
The fault codes I am getting are:

0858 - Connection: Radio ZF output to Antenna Amplifier, sporadic 011 - open
0878 - Connection to speaker front left, sporadic 011 - open circuit
0879 - Connection to speaker front right, sporadic -011 - open circuit
2454 - Microphone unit (in front roof module) (R164), sporadic 011 - open

The car is an Audi A3 which was previously fitted with a symphony headunit with integrated 6cd changer and the car also has Bose.

Everything does seem to be working fine, the rns-e unit, the nav instructions on the DIS, the speakers appear to work fine as Ive played around with balance and fader to check each corner of the car for producing sound.

Last edited:
Looks to me, no expert, that the faults are from Voice control setting in the 56 - Radio setting on VCDS. Also the RNS-E I think has 2 antenna's and maybe your old set only had one.....soits looking for another.

Loose connection?

Is it worth popping the unit out and checking the connections are tight and fully clicked in?

Thanks for the suggestions. Sound is coming out from the front speakers, I have Bose, so Im wondering if the installer didnt swap some pins over Ive read about that you have to do on Bose cars.

Apparently the ZF antenna one is normal unless you buy a new module, which doesnt bother me.

My car is 53 reg, no SDS or anything, should it even have a mic?

At the minute Im just running the car and forgetting about the codes, its working all fine and Im happy with it. It does annoy me in the back of my mind though.

Your problems are probably antenna not plugged/connected properly & coding, because 53 plate a3 will share same antenna system as an rns-e, its late 06 onwards that have different antenna system if not fitted with rns already.