I promise its not stolen from leeds!! RNS-E code question?

rowdy_in_da_audi

Reaction score
Northampton/London and sometimes Bucharest
Hi All

Looking to find out if I can get the radio code for my RNS-E from vag-com (VCDS). It's currently installed and working just don't have the code?

After reading about the spate of RNS-E's that have gone missing in the Leeds and bradford Area, I would like to point out that my one has been in my car since I bought it!

I noticed that the little tear-out slip from the manual was missing and just figured it was probably stuck to the unit. s I know it was retrofitted as I also have the manual for the headunit it replaced!! When I finally got round to pulling it out, i couldn't find the slip, or any sign of a code written on the unit.

All help is greatly received
Cheers
Sam

I believe Audi used to do this for free, however Im not sure if they still do. The card with the code would say something like 'if you have misplaced your security code, return to an Audi dealership and we will rectify free of charge'. However, if you had the card to see the message, you would have the security code on the other side!
Anyway, Audi are able to do it, free or not Im not sure. They would also be able to tell if the unit is/has ever been stolen.
There is also various ads on eBay charging around £30 to retrieve your rns-e code. Quite how reputable they are and how they do it I dont know.

Last edited:
Thanks Monster_munch

I was thinking it would be back to the dealer, but I was going to pay someone with VCSD a visit and wondered if it was possible to read the code with that software? I know who ever fitted it had the code as it is currently paired up to my car and I read somewhere that the pin is usually the last 4 digits of the serial Number (if thats what its called) that you can only get if you go into a setting on VCDS. Just wondered if anyone knew this was correct and what the setting was on the Software!

I'll give Huntingdon Audi a call and see if they charge to pull out the code.

Cheers for the reply though, any help is greatly received! :)

Might be worth seeing if Audi charge for this service if Nige (NHN) knowsany tricks with VCDS. I have looked for this on my last car and couldn't find the code (luckily in the end I found the code card).

Depends how well you know your dealer, audi that is :p, they can pull the code very easily without the car even being there, trust me as I've seen it done.

But normally they would charge probably £30-40 & allot of dealers are anal as hell & require car to be in workshop to check the code, even if its not worth it if they have the radio serial.

There are no ways to pull code with vcds, as I believe vas communicates with a seperate database for the code, which vcds doesnt have access to.

For the record all new cars for a while now have been supplied without the code anywhere, as they assume the radio would stay with the 1st car & remembers that vin connected too anyway.

Hi sorry to pull up an old post....

I have taken my rnse stereo out of my s3 to fit a new aftermarket one. Only to realise that I can't find the code.
I am now looking to sell it bit I obviously need to code to sell it with. So I went into my local dealership in my car with the rnse ready to refit into the car and they told me that if I'm looking to sell it, then the person who buys it would have to fit it to the car and then go and get the cade themselves. As the stereo is coded from the car itself....

Is this the case or is it just rubbish? Does the rnse have its own personal code no matter what car it's in?