iPhone, RNS-E and DAB - Best options?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I've just got my first iPhone, and am exploring the best options for integrating it with the RNS-E in my 2007 A4. I also have a Revo Incar DAB radio, with FM modulator.

The RNS-E has Bluetooth, so that covers off the phone connectivity, but I obviously want to play music too. I have a 6-CD changer in the glovebox (which I don't use) so one possibility would be to swap it out for an Audi iPhone controller, but I understand the Audi interface is a bit limited. I don't have a multi-function steering wheel, so

I tried an X-Carlink while ago, intending to use its auxillary port to feed the Revo directly into the RNS-E and dispense with the FM modulator. This worked fine, but the presence of the X-Carlink massively degraded the DAB signal from the aerial, so I had to dispense with it. It might be the one I had was faulty, but I don't want order another one just to find I have the same problem again.

So, I think that leaves me with the option of a Dension Gateway. Ideally, I'd still like to direct the Revo through the aux-in at the same time as hooking up the iPhone, so I think that means I would need a Gateway 500. But I'm also worried that a Gateway could interfere with the DAB signal.

Can anyone offer me the benefit of their experience and suggest a best option, including perhaps a solution I haven't already thought of?

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
GW500 is for MOST cars and not RNS-E (can based) cars. The GW100 CAN has Ipod and Aux connections.

Another option is to enable the AUX input of the RNS-E and feed the REVO through there, which is what I have done in my A2.

Use a GW100 CAN, lose the 6 CD changer and put a genuine Audi tray where the 6 CD used to be hide the hole and feed the Ipod lead into the tray to put your Iphone into.

GW500 is for MOST cars and not RNS-E (can based) cars. The GW100 CAN has Ipod and Aux connections.

Another option is to enable the AUX input of the RNS-E and feed the REVO through there, which is what I have done in my A2.

Use a GW100 CAN, lose the 6 CD changer and put a genuine Audi tray where the 6 CD used to be hide the hole and feed the Ipod lead into the tray to put your Iphone into.

Hi, Craig

Is this the Gateway you mean?

Jeff

It says TEXT compatible so I guess it's the CAN Based one. I can't say I reccommend Ipod Car Kit direct, they lie about stock levels etc. I stopped using them a long time ago as they were so unprofessional.

Will the RNS-E only play music files stored on the iPhone? I was wondering if it would also play the output from an internet radio app that I had running?

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if I could dispense with the Revo and get all my digital radio through the iPhone.

I've just spoken to two Audi dealers about the in-glovebox factory iPod tray, and one of them tells me it is incompatible with an iPhone 4. He says the voltage is different, and would kill the phone. Can anyone confirm if this is true, as long experience has taught me not to believe anything an Audi parts person tells me?

Last edited:
Another dealer has just told me something different. This one says the adapter won't damage the iPhone, it simply won't charge it at all.

I really don't know what to do. The Audi solution is neat and tidy, but unbelievably basic. The Gateway 100 GW16AC1 seems to be ideal, but I'm really worried it will degrade the DAB signal in the same way the X-Carlink did. I don't want to shell out £129 to find that out, but none of the suppliers I speak to can tell me whether this is likely to happen.

One ICE dealer told me what I needed was a Parrot 9200, but I can't see the point of that when I have Bluetooth in the RNS-E. Plus, it would cost nearly £300, fully fitted.

Last edited:
I decided to put off making a decision. I'm not going to interface the iPhone to the RNS-E for the time being (other than the phone via bluetooth), but carry on using the built-in mp3 player for music. Meanwhile, I've bought a Brodit active cradle (with pass-through connector), fed a charger lead under the dash to a four-gang 12V socket box that I already have wired into the fusebox (I've no idea how the installer did it, but he managed to make it act like it's on the CANBUS, so it stays live until the key is pulled out of the ignition), and mounted the whole lot to the centre vents with a Brodit pro-clip. The beauty of the pass-through connector is that if I decide later to fit a Gateway, I can swap the charger lead for an interface lead in a matter of moments.

I'm running PocketGPS's speed camera app on the iPhone. So far, it's proving spot on for camera locations, plus it's nice to have an accurate speed display.