RNS-E overheating?

rowdyboy

Reaction score
Is there a known problem with the units overheating? I bought a 2011 disc from Naviupdates and I've only used it twice. I used it this weekend and after about 1/2 hour the message on the screen came up saying disc unreadable. I tried it on the computer and it read it fine. I tried it in the car a couple of hours later and it worked to start with, then the message came up again but this time the unit locked, as though it had crashed. Today, it was running continuously on a 5 hour journey with no problems. It was a warm day when it crashed and it's a lot cooler today, that's the only difference I can come up with.

Never had a problem with mine at all mate, and had the car quite hot yesterday on a constant 11 hour drive with nav, telephone and sd running

This generally manifests itself when using copied discs. Looking at the price of the 2011 disc on NU, I would say this is a copied disc without a doubt.

One would hope that this is just an issue with the disc itself (they're generally not burnt as well / as easily readable as the real ones) and that switching to a real disc will fix the problem, however I believe with prolonged use you can degrade the laser itself (has to work harder / do more re-reads)./

Over the last 5 years I've had that error twice on two different units. The fix for me was to clean the laser and the fault went away. It's very easy to clean the laser just remove the unit remove the 3 screws on the top of the unit and the other 2 at the side, pop the top off and clean with a cotton bud & lens cleaner, you would be surprised the amount of dust/dirt that comes off, if anything is going to break a laser it's trying to read a disk through a layer of crud.

Should add I've always used copied discs and I've never had a laser fail on me yet!

Last edited:
Im with B5NUT, i burn these dvd's and listening to the drive with oem and copied disks in there are no more re-reads when navigating. If the above statements were true surely copied/burnt music cds would create similar issues over extended periods ??????

Im with B5NUT, i burn these dvd's and listening to the drive with oem and copied disks in there are no more re-reads when navigating. If the above statements were true surely copied/burnt music cds would create similar issues over extended periods ??????

Which computer program do you use to copy?

I use alcohol 120% and a pioneer DVD burner. The drive can be more critical than the software, but I found that combo work very well.