RNS-E Newbie Question

AshleyC

Reaction score
Hi,

Having read some of the posts on here regarding the RNS-E unit there seems to be a lot of information and great help.

As im new to the Audi scene i was wondering if anyone could help with the below....this has probably been asked hundreds of times before so please forgive me

I have just bought a 2011 A3 Cabrio. It currently has the double din single cd head unit. As i bought the car ex demo i wasnt given the option to upgrade the unit to the Sat Nav RNS-E unit. So now i am on the hunt for one.

Question is: Is there a particular model number or start year that will work in a 2011 car? I know it has to be an A3 model. Also is there anything i need to purchase to complete the install like wiring adaptor loom etc?

Im not going to buy a new one as cant afford it so just want to make sure i buy the correct model.

Thanks for your help

Any A3 RNS-E will do, the 2011 one is nice as it allows you to get track names etc when paired with the AMI ipod adapter, allows SDHC cards, softwares a bit newer, but generally runs 2x the price of the previous unit, which is generally considered fine.

All you will need is either a GPS antenna to stick in behind the dash (easy) or an extension lead up to the sharkfin (PITA), and VAGCOM coding from someone. Also, if you have BOSE, you may need to move a pin in the connector block.

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen a 2010 LED model for around £600 so probably going to go for that. I do have Bose aswell so looks like I will need to move the pin around.

Do you need an extra loom or is it literally plug and play? Probably going to install a bluetooth unit as well as i have the controls on the steering wheel. I take it any A3 bluetooth kit will fit with the RNS-E?

i probably would be. Single din units, amps, subs i can fit but as its a new car no marks i would rather get someone who knows what they are doing do it.

I take it your installer?

Yes mate, well known on here, PM me about your requirements as I also supply all the gear you're after.