EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

RNS-E software update

I just got my 2011 sat nav disc from Naviupdates.co.uk, the maps work fine but i don't seem to have any software updates. I previously had a 2008 disc, should i be getting any extra features etc?? When i go to the software version, it just says SW version: ---. Do i need to do anything to install the new software for it to be recognised? I fitted the RNS-E myself but never had it coded to the car, would that make a difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    if there were any updates
    it would update automaticly
    but from 2008 to 2011 id expect some
    i also got mine from navupdates today and got an update and i was useing 2010 b4 i stuck the 11 in

4th Gear

Status
    What updates did you get? Did they just load automatically? Am i doing smething wrong?
    RNS-E retrofitted

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    no idea what they were just put it in and it did what it did took bout 20 mins then sprung back in to life

4th Gear

Status
    Seriously!!!
    Mine did absolutely nothing, it just carried on as normal.
    Can anyone shed any light on this??
    RNS-E retrofitted

Chugging along

Status
    Mine had the same set of dashed lines instead of a software version.

May I ask if you got your RNS-E with the car, or did you source it on eBay? (not passing judgement!!). Apparently some of the sellers on eBay use a software tool to reprogramme the security code on the units which has a side effect of giving that software version.

To get around it, you need to roll back the software version using VCDS, then insert your disc and the software upgrade should launch itself.
    2004 A4 1.8T (190) S-Line Quattro

FULL VCDS - HEX-USB+CAN

4th Gear

Status
    Yes, it was an ebay purchase, looks like thats the problem then. Do you know anyone with VCDS around the Derby area?
    RNS-E retrofitted

Chugging along

Status
    I don't - but if you look in the VCDS Forum, there should be a link to the VCDS map - someone should be local to you - failing that, I'll come and do it for you - but you'd have to cover my fuel from Kent lol

FULL VCDS - HEX-USB+CAN

4th Gear

Status
    If I put an earlier version disc in, will it revert the software to the disc year, or can it only rolled back by VCDS?
    RNS-E retrofitted

Chugging along

Status
    No, you need VCDS to force a software downgrade, then insert a disc to run the upgrade.

FULL VCDS - HEX-USB+CAN

6th Gear

Status
    There are no software updates after softwre 0650 for the pre 2010 navigation units. So I think basically any disk from 2008 onwards has no updates to software for RNS-E, only map updates.

If you have a unit with X--- for the software version then you probably have a hacked version for SDS, go into the sound menu and look for the speech dialogue menu, if you have it, then it's probably a hacked unit.

If you want SDS then really you don't have any worries, but if you want to get rid of the X--- and the SDS menu, then downgrade the software any other lower version by using VCDS to enable a software upgrade/downgrade and then after it had downgraded insert your new disk and it will upgrade to SW0650 and the X--- will be gone along with the SDS hack.

If you want to get rid of the X--- and keep the SDS menu, then downgrade the software any other lower version by using VCDS to enable a software upgrade/downgrade and then after it had downgraded insert your new disk and it will upgrade to SW0650 and the X--- will be gone along with the SDS hack. Then use a proper hacked disk for SDS with 0660 software index (downloadable from tinternet), this will update to SW0660 and install the SDS hack and the version will show 0660 and not X---.

4th Gear

Status
    Does this mean if I downgrade the software, the language will no longer be English?
    RNS-E retrofitted

6th Gear

Status
    No, you keep the current language settings

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi all, correct me if im wrong but downgrade/upgrade process may require you to input radio code ?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Vagcom View Post
    Hi all, correct me if im wrong but downgrade/upgrade process may require you to input radio code ?
    Do you mean the 4 digit unlock code? I have that.
    RNS-E retrofitted

Reverse Gear

Status
    yeah, but i have done mine this morn, downgrade via vcds and no code needed but i have done them before where halfway through update the ask for code.......

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No code has ever been needed during an update on any unit I've worked on.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    It has happened occasionally, not on A3/TT/R8 but on A4 and A6 chassis cars

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Interesting to know thanks.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Can I get some advise as to how to correctly proceed with a later navigation disk. The situation is I have just got a 2004 A3. The DVD is 2008 version Europe Central West 8P0919884AA but has problems as there are many scratches and marks. I have downloaded Audi RNS-E Navigation Plus 2012 Europe (BE) and RNS-E Navigation West Europe 2011 AT images, burned as DVD ROM booktype and tried them in the unit. They show as update DVDS but nothing else is being read.
    Should the disks work as soon as I pop them in or do I need to update the software and if so how? I have noticed someone with problems after updating the software so what are the risks?

Is there anyone local to me in Stockport (map suggested 2 members not too far away) that I can get some help from please?

3rd Gear

Status
    Slightly off topic but I bought a RNS-E off e-bay with a genuine Audi 2010 disc in it. I have checked and it is running SW0650.

I have now bought brand new genuine 2012 discs, however when I insert them I get an error message saying disc unreadable?

Any suggestions as they weren't cheap......
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcalvin View Post
    Slightly off topic but I bought a RNS-E off e-bay with a genuine Audi 2010 disc in it. I have checked and it is running SW0650.

I have now bought brand new genuine 2012 discs, however when I insert them I get an error message saying disc unreadable?

Any suggestions as they weren't cheap......
    is it a oem disc or a fake
    theres some good looking fakes around that dont work

3rd Gear

Status
    Bez101...

Bought off e-bay, certainly look genuine, have part number 8p0 919 884 AN, along with Aisin part numbers around the edge, buyer has plenty of positive feedback from other people buying discs from him...
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Give the laser head a little rub with a cotton bud thats ever so slightly damp, when I say ever so, I mean the tiniest bit, then rub it with a dry bud & see if this helps, I actually used a tongue touch on the bud to do mine, worked perfectly, reads my dvd's now as was filfthy

Did you buy it from turbo herbie or whatever there name is on ebay?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcalvin View Post
    Bought off e-bay, certainly look genuine, have part number 8p0 919 884 AN, along with Aisin part numbers around the edge, buyer has plenty of positive feedback from other people buying discs from him...
    Thats not 2012, BE is 2012.

3rd Gear

Status
    NHN....

What discs do I have then with the part number provided.... if they are wrong then I will send them back along with this info.....

3rd Gear

Status
    NHN...

Cleaned the laser last week, so that shouldn't be an issue......

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    AN = 2010
    AT = 2011
    BE = 2012

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    I'm confused with this software update thing. I currently have a 2006 B7 RNS-E unit. I believe the SW version is 0550. If I was to buy a 2011 or 2012 DVD online, would the SW version update to 0650 automatically or do the newer DVDs only hold the updated SW (0200/0250)?

Also if I was to download and burn a DVD, should they still carry the firmware update within them?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes mate it would update to 0650 automatically as you have a mk1 rns-e, mk2 rns-e has latest 0200 version firmware, different units so different firmware types & versions.

I have a genuine set of dvd's for sale 2012 latest versions if interested mate, PM me if like

Neutral

Status
    Hi sorry to but in but I have a similar problem and after reading multiple post I'm still confused!!
    i have a 2007 a3 which I retro fitted a rnse unit, which came with a copy of the 2009 disc!
    i have recently bought a copy of the 2012 disc but upon inserting it it says please insert navigation disc! And while screen is open it says software update disc!
    is this a disc issue or a unit issue?
    the software on the unit says x--
    and I have the altitude

many thanks
    lee

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You have 2 things, 1st someones hacked the unit with new pin code hence the X in the firmware, so firmware needs loading again tbh to fix this & 2nd the dvd seems buggered, I can fix this if like, send me a PM for options, whereabouts are you located?

Neutral

Status
    Sent you a pm mate

oh and I'm in wakefield

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Replied.