A couple of questions about RNS-E

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
When I select mp3 mode, my RNS-E immediately starts playing the first track on the card. If I want to select a particular album, I have to hit return to exit to the artists' list. Is there a setup menu option I can set so that when I enter mp3 mode, it displays the top level directory of artists by default, and doesn't start playing immediately?

Second question. When my phone is connected via bluetooth, does the five-bar signal strength meter reflect the bluetooth signal between the phone and the RNS-E, or the airtime signal between the phone and the provider?

Mine (2007 model RNS-E) starts playing at the the last played track, not the first track - not sure how / why that was enabled that way.

If you setup m3u files in the root directory, then you'll get an index of all the albums / playlists at the "root" level (I'll take a pic later).... and it makes it a lot faster for loading the SD card.

I'm pretty sure that the signal strength is the bluetooth strength between the phone and the car (I noticed it was v low once when I started the car and then realised that my phone was still sat in a drawer in my study :) )... that said, I don't get great phone reception in my study anyway - you can check it by leaving your phone somewhere in the house 30-40 ft away (but where the phone still says it's connected to the "accessory") and then checking the strength in the car.

Mine (2007 model RNS-E) starts playing at the the last played track, not the first track - not sure how / why that was enabled that way.

If you setup m3u files in the root directory, then you'll get an index of all the albums / playlists at the "root" level (I'll take a pic later).... and it makes it a lot faster for loading the SD card.

Cheers, Lostbok; only thing is I'm not sure I understand what root directories and m3u files are. I'm a bit hopeless on the tech front.

the signal stength is the phone radio signal, not the bluetooth signal

m3u are playlist files, use the freeware program 'playlist creator' to make them - 1st put a folder on the sd for each artist or playlist, copy the mp3 files to the relevant folder on the sd, then use the playlist creator to make an m3u playlist file in the root, thats the start of the sd card before you go into any of the folder (like the desktop of your study desk, rather than a folder which is more like a drawer)

a m3u file is a simple text file containing the name of the song to play, and the address of where the file can be found

i usually create a playlist for each album - that way they show up in the rns-e like each cd is in a multi disk changer.