Buying an RNS-E

Dilligaf-UK

Chugging along
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Still a couple of weeks away from picking up my A4 (2004 1.8T Quattro S-Line (190)), but ideas are popping in and out of my head about what I want to do with it, once its mechanically sorted.

Its got the Symphony headunit currently and my intention will be to upgrade it to an RNS-E as soon as possible. I'm reasonably happy with the process of swapping them over, so this isn't yet another "how do I do this thread"!

My question revolves around interfacing an iPhone 4 with either unit - ideally I'd like the iPhone to work as a phone (well, everyone would like the iPhone to work as a phone, just depends where you hold it!), utilising the car speakers for the audio and also as a source for music - what is the easiest way to achieve this??? Is it going to be by using the Audi Bluetooth unit or by buying some aftermarket accessory?? I'm not particularly fussed with being able to access the iPhone address book from the RNS-E, but it would be nice for it to display who is calling me somewhere other than the phone!

Also, where is the best place to buy all this kit? I've trawled through ebay and have found various units for various prices but nothing seems to jump out at me. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of the RNS-E units seem to ship from Lithuania - has anyone any experience of buying this kind of kit from there?

Finally (I think), does the Nav DVD need to be in the drive all the time? If so, how do you play CDs? Oh and do "backup" copies of the Nav DVDs work, or do they have to be originals?

Sorry for all the questions - just like to get things straight in my head!