RNS-E in a 2001 8L s3

glen_jai

Reaction score
Website
www.glenster.co.uk
Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to install a RNS-E sat nav into an old 2001 (Face-lifted) 8L?

I see a lot of places that do the "retro-fit", only list it for 8L 2003 onwards.

Thanks,
Glen

From what I've read when looking to do the RNS-E to my 8P, I believe that the RNS-E isn't compatible with the 8L A3's CAN-BUS (might be wrong). You need to be looking for the RNS-D as this was an option for the pre-2003 8L A3.

But then again you're gonna need to convert to double DIN if you don't have a Symphony head unit etc.

CAN-BUS will be fine on that model. There is no face plate for the for that model A3, so you need an A4 unit and trim the face plate to fit.

Above is assuming you already have double din.

Yes I'd concur, can be done & has been, got mate in Coalville who can do for you if need be.

Probably the main reason is the colour of the dash, at 2003 the A3 changed to soul black which matches the RNS-E facia. Before that it was more of a piano black in the A3

But as long as the cluster has canbus ie from around 2001 then you should be ok, the dash will be darker than the RNS-E, but if that doesn't bother you then it's not a problem.

I did all 3 parts guys A3/S3's at Manchester Audi, fitted them with RNS-E, bluetooth & Ipod, 2 of the cars were single DIN concert radios which took some time to convert to double and a bit of tricky cutting of the aircon unit. But they looked great at the end.

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to install a RNS-E sat nav into an old 2001 (Face-lifted) 8L?

I see a lot of places that do the "retro-fit", only list it for 8L 2003 onwards.

Thanks,
Glen

Hi guys,

Sorry for the thread hijack just seemed pointless making a new one, i have an RNS-D fitted at the moment but i had a mk5 golf before and went through the pain of changing the can bus so i could fit an RCD510 without getting battery drain issues. Does the canbus need to be changed at all or are there any issues with swopping to the RNS-E other than the facia?

Car is a 2001 S3 on a Y Plate with the engine code AMK

Also ive scanned it with VAG - COM and i cant seem to see the can bus module in the error scan like it appeared on my golf?

Thanks

The A3 8L does not have a can gateway like the golf. The canbus for infotainment connects directly between the RNS-E and the cluster. If you have an RNS-D fitted currently then it must connect to a TMC module, this will have the can wires from the cluster on one side and the RNS-D on the other. It acts as a can bridge to convert the RNS-D Bosch canbus to infotainment canbus.

The A3 8L does not have a can gateway like the golf. The canbus for infotainment connects directly between the RNS-E and the cluster. If you have an RNS-D fitted currently then it must connect to a TMC module, this will have the can wires from the cluster on one side and the RNS-D on the other. It acts as a can bridge to convert the RNS-D Bosch canbus to infotainment canbus.
Ahh cheers, so basicly i need to find an A4 RNS-E and it will drop straight in with the exception of the facia needing a trim?, does the RNS-E still work with the 8Ls DIS ?

Probably the main reason is the colour of the dash, at 2003 the A3 changed to soul black which matches the RNS-E facia. Before that it was more of a piano black in the A3

But as long as the cluster has canbus ie from around 2001 then you should be ok, the dash will be darker than the RNS-E, but if that doesn't bother you then it's not a problem.

I did all 3 parts guys A3/S3's at Manchester Audi, fitted them with RNS-E, bluetooth & Ipod, 2 of the cars were single DIN concert radios which took some time to convert to double and a bit of tricky cutting of the aircon unit. But they looked great at the end.

Hi Craig,
Thank you for your reply. My car is 2001 AMK engine code with a single DIN Concert radio (with Bose - not sure if that's important).
How much would it be to have it converted to RNS-E with you?

Cheers,
Glen

I've got a single din s3 2003 with aircon, will i lose the aircon or is it simply relocated lower down when replacing with the double din?

cheers
ian

No you wont lose aircon, just lowered, let me know if interested mate I can sort this out.

What cables etc would you/I need to fit and RNS-E to an 01-plate with Symphony II (double-DIN)? Basically, can someone give me a list of everything I'd need for the conversion?