I have been busy

Rev-head

Reaction score
Well bought my S2 avant and all was going well .........so i thought,. had this problem with it when ticking over and bursts of power really late on ....so changed the coils over and it was running good but on the way back from Perth it went a bit wrong !!.....big clouds of smoke from the rear and water warning light coming on (oh ****** i sort of said)

The outcome...that weekend took the cylinder head of the engine and found this
S5000207.jpg

If you look closely you can see the tracking on cylinder 3 from the water jacket which has been there for a while which was causing it to spray water into the cylinder which was causing the bad tick over and taking that bit longer to pull the power as to clear the misting in the cylinder

And to add to my joy i had 4 studs break on me on exhaust manifold
S5000206.jpg

S5000205.jpg

So after getting it off i took the head to the machinest to get skimmed to find out the head is warped by 9 thou and the tracking on the head would need welding so all in after welding they had to take off 12 thou (pretty tight)stuck on RS2 head gasket(sandwich gasket)as it was metal and slightly thicker than orignal so took up some of the clearance that was lost by the skimming of the head

Gave the head a full clean down and reseated all the valves and changes valve stem oil seals and cleaned all the hydraulic tappets

Got put together all in a week i might add which is a record for me(considering work commitments) and running sweet as a nut

S5000201.jpg