Trade-in RS6 for new M5?

I

imported_ndrummond

Just in case anyone is thinking of trading in their RS6 for a new M5, you might like to read the UK magazine Autocar this week. Yes, there's a very flattering test of the new M5, but less obvious is a story about how the BMW 5-Series has only scored 3 stars in the NCAP crash test.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
BMW says that the test wasn't representative of the car's true safety characteristics and is resubmitting revised cars to retake the test. However, NCAP'S response is that the failure reflected major structural deficiencies in the design not minor irregulararities. This suggests that BMW is likely to have to significantly beef up the chassis to raise its rating.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif
What's going on? If this is correct, then BMW has really dropped the ball. Only getting 3 stars is the same as saying, have a crash at any speed above 75 kph and you're toast. Given that M cars in percentage terms are involved in more accidents than their lesser powered siblings, this doesn't bode well for potential new owners of the M5.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
The RS6 may be a bit old, but it remains the better car to be in if you have a smash.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif
More to the point, I suspect there'll be a lengthy delay while BMW fixes the chassis design and implements it into production. In the meantime, I don't expect the people at Quattro Gmbh will be twiddling their thumbs and the new RS6 should be well into development...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Wooohouuuuuuuu! Yet again AUDI is the WINNER!!! I simply love Audi! Enough said

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

G

I though mercs were the safest to have a ding-dong in?

Anyway, even that fact didn't save Lady DI & Doddie...

To be honest, if you hit another car or a solid object at any speed much beyond 60 mph, you'll end up going home in a hearse.

But an RS6 has only 3 stars as well (because it is based off the old A6).

The new BMW M5, dual airbags in the front and dual bodybags in the back.... I have owned three BMW's. An old 325icab, a 328 and a 540. All of them had a nasty tendency to lift at speed when there where minor cross winds. Neither my Mercedes nor my Audi perform such wonderous tricks. IMO stay away from BMW. Oh, and did I mention the complete lack of reliability....

[ QUOTE ]
DaveP said:
But an RS6 has only 3 stars as well (because it is based off the old A6).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but RS6 is a 10 year old design, not 3. The NCAP testing requirements have changed quite considerably since the old A6 was introduced. It is absuurd that a new car should get a lower rating than the car it replaces. Moreover, if you look closely at the NCAP results what distinguishes the RS6 from the BMW is how the chassis of the newer 5-Series deforms when hitting a solid object...

My real point here is that BMw is so intent on ramping up production volumes that fundamental engineering values have been diluted, never mind build quality.

As much as I respect Audi, I also have a great affection for BMW and think this is a great shame.

[ QUOTE ]
The new BMW M5, dual airbags in the front and dual bodybags in the back.... I have owned three BMW's. An old 325icab, a 328 and a 540. All of them had a nasty tendency to lift at speed when there where minor cross winds. Neither my Mercedes nor my Audi perform such wonderous tricks. IMO stay away from BMW. Oh, and did I mention the complete lack of reliability....

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting comment, I am currently on my second M3 - neither of them went in to the dealer apart from to have a CD changer fitted.