The New World of Audi

Prince Ace

Prince Ace
Reaction score
I have to confess my absolute ignorance to anything more than how a car drives and thats the way its been pretty much all my driving life (all 16 years of it). However, my recent purchase has got me reading a little and more so to understand a little more about the behemoth I think I've bought. Moving from an E38 BMW (which I've owned for the last 9 years from nearly new), I needed to combine luxury with power. Also, something a little discreet. So, the only car that seemed to fit the bill (considering all the options) was the Audi RS6 (Saloon).

And oh my gosh! I knew this thing was fast, but I had no idea 'how' fast. I think if it had wings, it would be cruising at 33,000ft. Even more scarier is attempting to open the front bonnet in fear of having 450 Shire's or Suffolk Punch's leap out at you. I hope to learn a lot more about it from these forums and from the seasoned advice of some of you here, so please be 'gentle and nice' with my somewhat basic questions (I'm sure you will) such as what's the best way to achieve the fastest 0-60 (Ordinary auto, Sports mode, Tiptonic or Paddle shift). Gosh I feel so embarrassed even asking this.

I have loved reading some of the posts here. Seems that not only have a lot of you learnt from each other, but have made good friendships out of it too. My respect to that :)

From what I've seen so far with Audi, I think this 30 sec ad pretty much sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eh18JgMJuI

Prince Ace

Hello and welcome to the site....the RS6 is a total monster :)

In your opinion, what is the best way to achieve the fastest 0-60 time on an RS6?
Some of the options I think I have -
Floor the accelerator pedal in sports mode? (Will there be a lag?)
Rev up in neutral (4000 + rpm?) and then shift it quickly to sports mode / auto?
High revs and then make use of the tiptronic to take off ?
I'm up against two mates, (one has a 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera and the other a 911 Turbo S) in a safe legal track environment.
I'm hoping not to just get slaughtered?
- As you can see I’m a complete novice. :sob:

Thanks for any input given. :arco:

welcome to the club, the first time you open the bonnet and see the big carbon cover.. its like WOW..

I would say you would give them a run for their money.. I also have a black RS6 and i haev to say its thee best car I haev ever driven. I did have a 380bhp Evo VI GSR before and this thing is so different.

Not sure on how to get the best 0-60 in at as not tried yet.. I would just say put it in sports mode and put your foot to the floor... lol

Hello mate that makes 3 of us now!
What colour is yours??

0-60 sport mode and nail it..!!!...!!!...!!!...!!!

Againt the Turbo S 996 no way you'll give him a good run as the 996 Ts is 450bhp and lighter, if manaul too no way he is 3.9 secs to 60, you'll catch him though....

cool, I have had mine now 6 weeks today and audi haev had it for 4 of those weeks lol... But it comes abck today.. can not wait

had mine 2 months now and loving it

Prince Ace you going to make this rolling road day at AmD.. been roped into it lol by someone :salute: :salute: :salute:

Natedog, unfortunately not this time around .... but I understand they are an annual event ? So maybe next time.

So this is your first time at such an event ?

Do you guys have pics of your cars in the gallery ? Would love to take a look at them if u do.

Also, I had a look at this video. Admittedly, this is awesome in terms of accelaration but when I timed it, the 0-60 is way under 4 secs? :huh: (Assuming 60mph = 96.5kmh) I didn't know that was possible until now. I take it this beast is probably chipped? Awesome acceleration nevertheless. :respekt:

:blackrs4:
RS6 acceleration video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZwcgoBxv8

I used the online stopwatch below:
http://tools.arantius.com/stopwatch

Prince Ace said:
In your opinion, what is the best way to achieve the fastest 0-60 time on an RS6?
Some of the options I think I have -
Floor the accelerator pedal in sports mode? (Will there be a lag?)
Rev up in neutral (4000 + rpm?) and then shift it quickly to sports mode / auto?
High revs and then make use of the tiptronic to take off ?
I'm up against two mates, (one has a 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera and the other a 911 Turbo S) in a safe legal track environment.
I'm hoping not to just get slaughtered?
- As you can see I’m a complete novice. :sob:

Thanks for any input given. :arco:

take it your car is an auto?? Dubsport launch there 4x4 cars at 5000rpm's on the drag strip. But they do uprate the clutch. The best advise it practice and the thing i'm always told by drag racers is go on amber. If you wait for the green its to late.

yer this will be my first time at an audi event.. as only had the car 6 weeks..

will be getting some pics up when I get back

first time for me too
vbpgimage.php

what you think??

Marmite - Awesome ... tell me more about those blue lights ... I love em !

Also we tried timing the 0-60 with the ESP off. We got times around 4.2 secs which I think isn't correct. Either we are timing it incorrectly (being as accurate as we can with a fine stopwatch) or the car might be modified in some way ?
One of my mates says that the times should be around the 4.7 sec mark for the RS6. Does the 4.2 sound utterly ridiculous ?
Maybe I should get myself one of those Gtech things ;-)

Do you guys think that a combination of the right type of fuel (Super as opposed to regular unleaded) and the ESP off could have made the difference ? :ermm:

Got them from R-tec but can be bought in Halfords I think...about £9 just a bit of fun...didn't think they would be so Blue but they look better then they do in the photo.

0 - 62 4.5 - 4.7 is about the right time..we timed it at 4.3 ish but unsure very hard to do accuratly..used a watch stopwatch...

ESP won't make a difference...Fuel will for sure I run mine on 99 octane from Tesco's and it feels fine..got caught the other week and had to put 95 from murco......she hated it...felt flat and splutered alot so ran a another tank and she is ok now..Going to the AMD RR day so might treat her to a tank of V power from shell, everyone is raving about it.

I'm glad you guys spoke about the fuel as that's something I wasn't sure about. Admittedly, the regular fuel looks tempting (with all the price wars recently keeping the prices competitive), but I won't touch it if it means I lose performance and or is bad for my engine. Also I think that using higher grade fuel might actually be more cost effective as you may get more mpg out of it? If one thinks economically (My argument anyway - maybe I'm wrong).
Excellent site btw - http://www.petrolprices.com/

Natedog - I'm really intrigued what times you get on the 0-60. Do let us know your findings.

You know what I love about the RS6, as beautiful as it is, its not something which is immediately obvious. Where even my granny can spot the M3 / M5 and Porsche and know what it is, not many know or understand the RS6. However, those that know, really do. I see some looking at my grill, I assume trying to spot the RS6 badge.

I was with my family casually coming to a roundabout and a young bloke tried to come up to me on the passenger side in a convertible 330 BMW (where my wife was sat). He then braked and came up to me on the right side (drivers side) and pulled his window down. I thought to myself, here goes, I've probably cut him up or something without realising it or done something to upset him.
Instead he says, 'Nice man ... I love those, I really love those, awesome' and drove off ??? :arco:

Also - I absolutely LOVE the RS6 Driver gif file that plays as your signatures. Thought I'd ask first. OK if I use it generally? I'm thinking upsetting copyrights etc. I hope no one minds. :)

Nice to see it again ... My experience totally !
http://www.vidly.net/video-audi-bull-commercial.html

feel free to use the gif file :) was something i put together one evening..

Will let you knwo the 0-60 times, was I get access to the private test track :icon_thumright: