rs6 or s6 with £15000 budget

tony torque

Reaction score

Hi there im gonna be buying an audi rs or s 6 soon and it makes sense to me to join this forum to get ideas and help and also to offer any help as i am a fully qualified mechanic ( albeit from 20 yrs ago but still fix all my vehicles if i can ) and absolutely mad about cars. my main thing at the moment is i cant decide on what model to buy so would really be gratefull for imput.
I originally was looking at getting the rs6 but looking into it further i might be better off getting the s6 as i could then afford the later model containing the v10 lambo engine on my £15000 budget (or less if i can) but is the lambo engine the way to go in terms of reliability and performance? .
I suppose what im really getting at is will i be getting a better car buying a newer s6 than and older rs6 with the v8 and is there really much difference in performance figures and sounds silly but fuel efficiency . Sorry about the long winded question , hopefully i will get better with practice ,many thanks

Hi from one newbie to another, i have had my 04 RS6 for 3 years now, really the engine and transmission is prety bullitt proof i have had no problems at all, apart from the DRC of which i have the second generation fitted by audi under the good will warranty, i really think you only get problems when you start the mapping route by putting extra stesses on all components, i know nothing about the S6. I would say its the best car i have had the performance is incredible, it actually does not change into 5 gear till you reach 150mph for the price you really will not beat it.

Bobby

hi thanks robbie , is yours the v10 or v8 and do u or anyone know if theres a great difference in driving experience between the 2 .
does anyone also know if theres a great difference in performance between the rs6 and the s6 ( whether its the older v8 or newer v10)
many thanks

I'm hoping to get an S6 in the next year or so, and was originally tempted by a C5 RS6. However, I read a review some guy wrote comparing the C5 RS6 vs C6 S6 vs BMW M5, and he said yes the RS6 is quick, but it's nothing like driving the newer S6. I would go for the S6.

Couple of things...
- the engine in the S6 isn't Lamborghini, or even close. Its completely different.
- the RS6 will be faster, and is very tuneable (so can get even faster). The S6 your limited on tuning, until someone makes a supercharger for the V10.
- Fuel efficency, the S6 will be better. No turbos, and newer engine with FSI.
- When I was talking with an Audi mechanic at work, he told me to steer clear of the RS6, unless you get a full coverage warrenty. He said when something goes wrong, its normally very expensive. He told me he'd just replaced a rear oil seal on the back of the engine, the part cost £5, but it required engine removal, so the total bill was over £6000!

I would go for the S6.