The weight is nearly over

• Thread starter imported_ndrummond
  • Start date
I

imported_ndrummond

Audi has officially announced that the next RS4 will be launched at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2005. (In case you've been on Mars for the last month, it will have a high-revving (8,000+ rpm) development of the existing 4.2 V-8 that pushes out 425 bhp).

What I also now understand is that the car will incorporate quite a few weight saving measures that will bring it down to under 1600 kgs, thats 200 kgs less than the S4. I'm hearing things like aluminium doors, panels, bonnet and boot. Carbon fibre dashboard structure. Exotic suspension components. Lightweight Recaro sports seats. Carbon fibre transmission tunnel. And reduced weight 4WD system and components. I guess toys like AirCon, SatNAv and Electric windows will be optional too, so you can exlude them to save even more weight. If this is correct, then the power-to-weight ratio will compare very favorably to that of the current RS6. I fully expect a 0-100 kph time of 4.5 seconds and an unlimited top speed of 185+ mph. The key indicator of performance, however, will be the number of seconds under eight minutes it laps the Nordschliefe.

Yes, it is still based on a front-wheel drive chassis, so won't provide the same level of driver-involvement or satisfaction as a rear-wheel drive chassis M3 CSL, but because the RS4 understeers on the limit, it should be a lot more predictable in less favourable road conditions. Which is exactly why I shall be trading-in my M3 for one in time for my winter trip to Switzerland next year.

If only Audi could also find a way to reduce the wait.

Im sure it will be lovely

but prefer the old rs4 for looks going by the pics above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
drum said:
RS4 Saloon/ Sedan definitely part of the model plan to compliment Avant version.

RS6 is unlikely to arrive before 2006. The good news is that Audi realises it has to fast-track development of its high-performance versions. The even better news is that the next RS6 gets a 5.2 litre V-10 with FSI and bi-turbos. If BMW wants to play a horse power race, I'm sure a tweaked version of the next RS6 could deliver 600 bhp!!!! With that kind of power, you will definitely need Quattro 4DW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read a full article on the new M5 in CAR magazine's november issue...and it seems like an impressing piece of work! So I was wondering what Audi had in it's sleeves...Drum just gave me the RIGHT answer!

THANK YOU DRUM...THANK YOU AUDI...THANK YOU GOD

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

G

If this info is correct then I think it will probably rule me out from an RS4. My ideal is a well built, practical, comfortable avant with stunning driving characteristics and performance. While the S4 is almost there it is still a little lacking. I would like more power and better dynamics but I don't want to sacrifice comfort and practicality. To my mind this balance is the whole point of the S and RS4. If I was just after performance I'd buy a CSL and it would do it far better.

I don't think it stacks up, if you're going to use all that expensive weight saving material and technology and throw out the toys why would you do it with an avant?

I think you'll still be able to have all the toys if you want them. Audi realises that the appeal of these cars would be reduced in this class without them. But the RS4 needs to shed a bit of weight to deliver performance that they want it to have.

[ QUOTE ]
drum said:
RS4 Saloon/ Sedan definitely part of the model plan to compliment Avant version.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's gonna be the other way around. The Avant will complement the Saloon as that's what's coming first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Agree, air suspension on the A8 is excellent. Regular suspension on my B6 S4 is rather stiff. Therefore now looking forward to my S6 Avant with air for March 06 delivery!

[ QUOTE ]

I'm hearing things like aluminium doors, panels, bonnet and boot. Carbon fibre dashboard structure. Exotic suspension components. Lightweight Recaro sports seats. Carbon fibre transmission tunnel. And reduced weight 4WD system and components.

The key indicator of performance, however, will be the number of seconds under eight minutes it laps the Nordschliefe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds awesome. Nice spec sheet too, but if its going to lap under 8 minutes it will need to come with an optional ex racing pro too.